Yeti Owners Club banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2012 2.0 Tdi 110 has an annoying noise which has recently returned. This noise is only lasts for a couple of seconds when lifting off the throttle whilst going up through the gears. The noise first became apparent when the car was a year old and my Skoda Dealer spent quite a lot of warranty time trying to identify the cause. They seemed to think it was coming from the plastic air inlet piping / assembly at the front of the engine. They did insert various bit of sponge in various places and this did seem to be a cure. Over the years the same noise has intermittently re-appeared only to disappear again. Now it,s back again so I am wondering if anyone else has the same problem.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Loose engine cover? Take it off and go for a drive. Mine has been driving me nuts...I’m so paranoid about noises!

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Removed the cover and went for a spin. Unfortunately, no difference. I am convinced it’s something to do with the inlet plumbing.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sorry for the late reply, but just for the record I have just had the same problem fixed.

It was the plastic air intake plumbing at the front right centre of the engine bay.

Skoda mech actually demonstrated it to me; with his colleague revving the engine around the 1300 rpm mark, the intake would resonate especially on the overrun. The mech placed his hand on the intake during the resonance and it would stop. I think they have applied RTV silicone to the joint twixt pipe and box, ut tbh have not yet had a look.

·
Premium Member
5,441 Posts
It was the plastic air intake plumbing at the front right centre of the engine bay.
That'll (probably) be the air/water separator then? Inside that irregular shaped box, with a slightly domed top, is a clever series of baffles. Designed to help prevent the engine from ingesting water when you may be / are fording deep water and there is a bow wave coming up towards the top of the radiator (the height where the air intake is). Also applicable when driving through a thunderstorm of tropical proportions, when there is a lot water being thrown against the front of the grille. :smile:

Never had the problem with that part, as Mike describes. But can believe it is possible. :smile:

·
Premium Member
5,681 Posts
There have been problems with pipes etc on the bulkhead vibrating.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Makes me feel nostalgic for the Morris Minor, come down the hill towards the house, lift of the accelerator, very characteristic noise.

This may not help you, except that it does demonstrate some car have resonant parts.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Check the air filter is seated correctly and clamped down tightly, some can rattle around slightly giving this sound.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts