Yeti Owners Club banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I am considering purchasing a Yeti 1.2 DSG in the next few months, I would like to have some feedback re this particular model in regards to fuel consumption, what sort of mileage you get from the full tank etc. Also I have read about hesitation problems coming upto roundabouts ETC with the 7 speed dsg box-can anyone confirm or deny this ? Also seems to be issues with this engine on some forums with regards to lots of warranty issues(clatter on start up, turbo issues), i dont see much on Skoda forums so again this maybe othermodels. Finally, i believe this is a chain and belt version of this engine, which is better and when did they change.
Thanks and look forward to hearing from you. (oh by the way it would be a facelift Yeti that I would be purchasing).
Bosco

·
Registered
471 Posts
Welcome to the site Bosco, you have come to the right place.Sorry but that engine is not my area of expertise but GUARANTEE you that you will get lots of useful input about your questions.
Happy hunting.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Bosco welcome to the forum.
My 1.2 Tsi manual averaged about 41 mpg (on a brim to brim basis) over 11000 miles.
There were no warranty issues and ownership was completely trouble free.
As I reckon that my future mileage is likely to be about 20000 miles a year I have recently bought a Yeti 2.0 litre diesel which has averaged 50mpg over 5000 miles.
I found the1.2 Tsi engine very willing and 'punched' above its weight.
Best of luck in your endevours.
Shanco

·
Registered
730 Posts
Welcome Bosco. I have the honour of running a 1.2sti dsg over the last four months or so. I changed from a Golf 1.4 sti dsg with the same seven speed gearbox as this. I had no issues with that one, and I find this one even smoother if anything. I have very very few issues at all with the Yeti, and the build quality is second to none. As to reliability, Auto Express, Which and varios othe pundits have aclaimed it;s reliability ever since year one. Buy one and enjoy.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum
I've only had my Yeti a full week
put £25 in last week and I am getting 31.1mpg
would have liked a little more, however I still see it as good as the yeti is still a big car,
I normally put in £40 a week or did with my diesel Kuga that I traded for the yeti, so can't say how economical the yeti is yet
I just have the manual yeti though

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
Hi Bosco and welcome to the forums.
Bosco said:
...I am considering purchasing a Yeti 1.2 DSG in the next few months, I would like to have some feedback re this particular model in regards to fuel consumption, what sort of mileage you get from the full tank etc.
From a pevious post: The little 1.2 can be reasonably economical if driven properly but
certainly becomes unforgiving if you start to push it along. You
certainly won't get the same low consumption that you are used to
getting in your previous diesel vehicle from the little 1.2 petrol motor but
that's to be expected. We tend to use S mode around town and that is a
good compromise for us between useful power and fuel consumption.
Figures for us are on average:
Country/highway/motorway driving: 6.2L/100km (45mpg) at about 100-110 kmh.
Around town: 7.9L/100km (36mpg)
Bosco said:
Also I have read about hesitation problems coming upto roundabouts ETC with the 7 speed dsg box-can anyone confirm or deny this ?
The DSG is a predictive gearbox. It preselects the gear it "thinks" you will need next. If it preselects a lower gear eg as you decelerate, but you then accelerate and need a higher gear, then it takes about half a second to reconfigure the gearset. It is a characteristic of all DSG gearboxes and in my opinion a very minor one. In fact it is so minor that I don't notice it at all. Smooth acceleration is the key.
Bosco said:
Also seems to be issues with this engine on some forums with regards to lots of warranty issues(clatter on start up, turbo issues), i dont see much on Skoda forums so again this maybe othermodels.
There were teething problems with this motor in the early days but these problems were dealt with under warranty. There were some major updates to engine and gearbox in November 2011 and these problems have now been properly sorted and are no longer an issue. The motor in the F/L models is a mature, well sorted product.
Bosco said:
Finally, i believe this is a chain and belt version of this engine, which is better and when did they change.
The CBZB 1.2 TSI has a chain driven camshaft. This is the only version of engine found in the Yeti. There is no need to change the metal timing chain on the CBZB model as it is fitted for the life of the motor. According to the Elsawin workshop manual the other version CBZA engine was only fitted to the Fabia and Roomster vehicles.

If you take one for a test drive you will have a better idea if it suits you. I hope this helps you in your selection process.

Edited by: plbxr

·
Administrator
14,898 Posts
If you put a fairly large engine in a small or light weight body
you will get good performance and reasonable to good fuel consumption depending on driving style. So conversely if you go in the opposite direction, a small engine in a fairlyheavy un aerodynamic body you will most likely get the opposite, except with the 1.2 Yeti you get surprisingly good performance, but that has to come at a cost. I do not own a 1.2 but was loaned one when mine was serviced. I did in excess of 100 miles in a day and was pleasantly surprised with the performance but not so with the consumption. This was done with a light right foot.If you do a low stop start mileage the 1.2 is probably for you. But if as I, you do 1200 to 1500 miles a month and can give it a continuous run to clean the DPF maybe a diesel would be better, but research the DPF first.

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
Just to avoid any confusion in the previous posting, the words "This is the only version of engine found in the Yeti." should read "This is the only version of the 1.2 litre engine found in the Yeti."

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have been very pleased with my 1.2 Tsi Yeti. Performance was not disappointing compared with the 1.9 TD Octavia I had before. I do not cover great mileages now, hence the choice of petrol version. It is now 4 years old with 22,000+ miles. Unfortunately 1 year out of warrenty I have serious noise from the DSG auto gearbox. Skoda Service at Rainworth say a new Gearbox is required. New gearbox after only 22,000 miles! In 55 years of driving with 30 or so cars, I have never had a gearbox fail until this one. A good job I have a 12 year old, 106,600 mile, Volvo V70 with torque converter auto box to get by with!

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
Gearbox failure after 22,000 miles is an absurdity in our modern times. I think you have a good case to approach SUK and ask for some good-will assistance with the costs involved. Did the dealer tell you what was actually wrong that requires a complete replacement rather than a repair?

Edited by: plbxr

·
Registered
107 Posts
Similarly to Ched, my wife's 1.3 Yaris , purchased new in Eire 15 years ago, has one of the Borg Warner type auto gearboxes. The car (and the gearbox) has never missed a beat and some 106,000 miles later it's performance and economy is the same as it was from new (from memory of course). Definitely the best car we've owned.

I've also driven thousands of miles in various high performance cars at work, all of which had torque converter auto boxes and they were all very robust and reliable considering the (mis) use they received.

I believe there is some merit in the expression "original and still the best", although I have to say I've never owned a vehicle with a haldex box.

No doubt I'll now get bombarded with examples of torque converter boxes causing all sorts of problems but as they say, "speak as you find".

Keith

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have had my 1.2 DSG for a month, and consumption is sitting at 41mpg. My last car was a Honda Acccord Auto, 2 litres, and I had concerns about moving to the wee engine. My experience is that the 1.2 is capable of all the performance I need, and surprisingly strong for its size. The Yeti weighs as much (almost) as the Honda, and there is no great difference in performance. It gives a better, more grippy ride than the Honda too.Go for it.

·
Premium Member
1,141 Posts
Sadly the 7speed dry-clutch DSG as fitted to the 1.2 does seem to have a bit of a track record of failures...

·
Registered
2 Posts
My thinking exactly. Service Manager said "gearbox is a sealed unit"! It sounde like a dry bearing to me and was not evident while in warrenty. SM has got 45% so far but is trying to raise more. A new gearbox costs £2469.14 + VAT!!! I suspect that I might be having a go at SUK myself, just waiting to see how this plays out. A friend of mine who looked at my Yeti and decided to order one, had a 4x4 version. While he was on holiday earlier this year he had a problem with the dual mass flywheel. Luckily he was just inside his warrenty.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts