Yeti Owners Club banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 1 week (and a holiday in the Lakes) as a 2011 140 Elegance Yeti owner here are my initial feelings.

Great overall package with excellent space, high driving position and all round views.
Feels very well built and very solid to drive.
Handles nicely.
Great sunroof - the kids love this, and lets loads of light in to the cabin.
Plenty of power for overtaking. Even used the the OR button once going down a very steep bit in the Hardknott pass (not
strictly necessary but worked well).
Cruise control - really useful.
Rain sensing wipers - seems good but haven't quite worked out the various settings.
Auto lights - great.
Amundsen satnav - useful, especially used with the maxi-dot display. The maps are
not as detailed as more modern satnavs and you can't zoom out far enough, but still
better to have it then not. Music sounds good with the speakers.
Economy - got about 47mpg over the first week which was fairly good.
Boot space is fine - didn't need the roof box for our recent 1 week holiday with luggage for 4 which was a pleasant surprise!
Boot hooks are great.

Dislikes:

The 140 CR diesel engine is not nearly as refined as my previous car (a petrol Mk4 Golf GTi 1.8T).
Having not had a diesel before this was a little bit disappointing - but am getting used to it fast.
The main thing is that you need to work the gears to keep the revs up above about 1750rpm otherwise it all gets very rumbly. Once you are over 2000rpm it is nice and smooth.
Makes me think that maybe the DSG would be a better bet with this engine to automate this process
if doing a lot of city driving in lower gears. I did read a few early Yeti reviews which said that the
reviewer couldn't tell that this engine was a diesel as it was so smooth. This is certainly not the
case with mine - it is clearly a diesel.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Hi Wimbo,
Thanks for posting this quite comprehensive review of your Yeti. I am pleased to read that you are very happy with it. I experienced the same issue with the rain sensing wipers and since we have not seen any rain for nearly three months here in W.A. I might have to relearn the wiper settings. I have always owned petrol engine cars and bought the 1.8tsi, because I felt it provided a better rider than the diesel, with the diesel lacked a little finesse. I have driven a couple of other diesels, for example the Ford Mondeo, which I found to be a very nice drive for a diesel. I can appreciate there are many who enjoy their diesel propelled Yetis and so they should, for they do offer some benefits. As far as the DSG gearbox is concerned I must admit that I am pleased to have chosen a model fitted with it.

Happy trails,
Banjbach

·
Registered
206 Posts
I have to agree with Banjobach I am now on my second car fitted with DSG (my first was a diesel Octavia) and it is certainly the best gearbox I have ever used you can rarely feel a gear change and I have to look at the display on the dash to check I'm actually going through the gears.!!

·
Registered
730 Posts
Empcom said:
I have to agree with Banjobach I am now on my second car fitted with DSG (my first was a diesel Octavia) and it is certainly the best gearbox I have ever used you can rarely feel a gear change and I have to look at the display on the dash to check I'm actually going through the gears.!!
+1 except mine was a Golf. On another note, it's good to get back in the saddle after 10 days with no internet. Never thought I would miss a site as much as I missed this one. Suffering from withdrawal symptoms

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
+1 for the DSG comments. Such a versatile gearbox, and especially the down shift rev-matching when decelerating in Sport mode.

Wimbo I am surprised that you didn't comment on the torque difference between your petrol cars and your new diesel. It's the biggest plus I found when I previously joined the "16 Carbon Club".

Edited by: plbxr

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes the torque is good in 140CR, but then so was the 1.8T 150bhp petrol in my old golf.

Having now owned the 140CR for a few weeks I still feel much the same. It is
too vocal/rumbly at low revs, but fine once you get up some speed. Some days
this bothers me, others not at all.

Is the 170 any better - I suspect not as it is a very similar engine.

If it wasn't for the poor fuel economy I would probably buy a Yet 1.8T 4x4 next time
or maybe even the 1.2 (shame the 1.4 disappeared).

Maybe by the time I replace the Yeti 140CR they will have a more economical
fast petrol 4x4 or a quieter less rumbly diesel.

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
If you have a look at reviews and articles about the motors found in the new Octavia III, then you will have an idea about what will be introduced into the new model Yeti due in (?)2016. The rumors are that the 1.2 will be dropped from the Yeti line-up in favour of the 1.4 but I will wait till I see it before I believe it. These new units certainly seem to be improved and more refined in terms of performance and fuel consumption.
Also there is probably going to be a slightly larger Yeti "bigger brother" mid sized SUV released which would most likely be better as far as NVH levels go. The only problem will be finding the money to pay for one

·
Registered
760 Posts
Don't fret about money for a new Yeti plbxr, because there must be a few members on here with piles!

·
Administrator
5,157 Posts
Banjobach said:
Don't fret about money for a new Yeti plbxr, because there must be a few members on here with piles!

That may be true but it still doesn't mean I have got any money. Or maybe "piles" doesn't have the same understanding of medical conditionsin Oz as here in the UK.

·
Premium Member
1,141 Posts
wimbo said:
Yes the torque is good in 140CR, but then so was the 1.8T 150bhp petrol in my old golf.

Having now owned the 140CR for a few weeks I still feel much the same. It is
too vocal/rumbly at low revs, but fine once you get up some speed. Some days
this bothers me, others not at all.

Is the 170 any better - I suspect not as it is a very similar engine.
Yes. I test drove the 140 prior to ordering the 170. On getting the 170 not only is it much torquier but it's also more refined. A bit too much for me. I would prefer it made a but more noise so I knew where it was in the rev range!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts