Yeti Owners Club banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi allMy mother in law has just bought a 1.2tsi dsg, she rarely does more than 2000 miles per year.
From what I have read the engine oil should be changed every 12 monthsregardlessof low mileage.
I know its forwarrantyreasons but when the warranty has run out is this still a necessarypractice, does oildeteriorateover such a short time?
I have never come across this before as I usually do 10-12k miles per year anyway.

·
Premium Member
4,947 Posts
Yes, normal practice to change at 12months or 12k, which ever comes up first, on low mileage vehicles.
Oil does deteriorate if unused, plus will pick up condensation from an unused engine.

·
Registered
37 Posts
If you have the system that advises on service intervals then, for very low mileages and running about town, the system may recommend a shorter interval. Skodas are used as taxis around here and, I am told, the service interval can be as short as nine months.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies.I have been trawling through the internet on the subject of oil changes.
As a lot of the posts are from the USA, it seems common practice with a lot ofAmericansto have their oil changes every 3000 miles, regardless of what the manufacturer recommends.
Even with fully synthetic oil, seems a waste to me.

·
Premium Member
4,947 Posts
3000 would have been the typical mileage with old, non-synthetic, low-multigrade oil, but now 12k is normal.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hi all, for those with a diesel Yeti who want to do their own oil change, check out ASDA's 5Litre 5w40 oil, £10.00, made by Croma so decent stuff, also a sump plug from your nearest Skoda dealer is a mear £3.62 and the oil filter isn't much more, bit awkward to fit as it comes out and goes in at an angle.

·
Premium Member
4,947 Posts
But what is the rest of the spec? 5w40 is just the viscocity.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Three weeks ago I bought an 11 platesecond hand Yeti S 1.2TSIwith 2900 miles on the clock. The service book was stamped indicating a service was due at 20,000 miles or at 2 years old, whatever came round the sooner. I queried this as I was concerned that my warranty could be compromised but Sinclair Skoda, Swansea assured me that this was OK as it had fully synthetic oil. Just to be on the safe side Willie John is booked in for a service this Tuesday as well as having mud flaps fitted. I shall also cost out what steel rims and winter tyres would cost with the weather being as it is.
Hope this may be of interest to you Kypriaki

·
Premium Member
4,947 Posts
Shanco,
You'll get good service from Sinclair's. They are highly rated.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I remember from the early days that it was essential to use the VW approved oil or the guarantee would be invalidated.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Asda Oil ????

At the risk of being shot down in flames............!

Oh dear, this sounds just like my Dad-spend £60K on a performance Merc, put on cheap tyres and fill with supermarket petrol,-then complain about poor starting/lack of midrange torque/noisy ride/tramlining etc...........hmmmm.

Question is---do you want Nectar points, or to look after your Yeti?

S/C

·
Registered
222 Posts
Your spot on. Sinclairs did a service and fitted mudflaps for £260 and completed everything by the agreed time. Staff were not only friendly and knowedgeable but left you with a feeling that they genuinely care that customers receive a great service. They quoted £57 each for winter tyre steel rims which I thought was good value but wanted £193 each for Bridgestone winter tyres - these seem excessively. expensive so I shall try to source elsewhere.

·
Premium Member
4,947 Posts
There 2 of us who drive down from Mid Wales to Sinclair's because they are so good. Mine is due back there in Feb for a small warranty job, new rear discs and an MOT.

·
Administrator
13,683 Posts
Shanco said:
They quoted £57 each for winter tyre steel rims which I thought was good value but wanted £193 each for Bridgestone winter tyres - these seem excessively. expensive so I shall try to source elsewhere.
You can get complete wheel/tyre packages from mytyres here is a steel wheel and a goodyear winter tyre for £146 per corner.

http://www.mytyres.co.uk/cgi-bin/skw.pl?bestellnummer=9257--R-223482&cart_id=86125326.110.17916&dsco=110&sowigan=Wi&csuchen=1&Gmarke=&Gdub=&Ggroesse=&Gfelge=&Gf_last=&achse=A&syt_d=&Hersteller=Skoda&PKWtyp=YETI 4X4 2.0 TDI&felge=16 inch|5 x 112.00 x 57.00|5|45.00&PKWtypgenau=|317208||1968|103|200909| |57.00|112.00|5|5L ||O|E11*2007/46*0010*. &my_1_car=Skoda__YETI 4X4 2.0 TDI____|317208||1968|103|200909| |57.00|112.00|5|5L ||O|E11*2007/46*0010*.

Or you could do what I did, I got four Audi alloys for £60 on eBAY and some Michelins from Oponeo. Ordered my tyres late Thursday evening and they arrived 0815 Monday!

·
Registered
19 Posts
I shudder to think what croma oil is and who actually makes it!! Having worked in the Lube industry for 30 years+ as a technical manager supplying the materials that oils are blended from, be very aware of incomplete specs on cheapo oils. They could be absolutely fantastic in a 50 year old Morris Minor but worse than useless in a modern engine. Always check the packaging states the correct OEM and ACEA specs for the vehicle, in this case a VW OEM. Also generally speaking if it says use a synthetic, use it, if it doesnt dont. A modern low viscosity synthetic in an old engine is also asking for trouble. And also don't use additives in modern engines! Modern engines and oils are developed together, so ignore magical claims from additive sellers, they don't tell the full story, they may even corrode alloys in the engine. Enough said I could go on forever. Just my opinion.......

·
Administrator
13,683 Posts
Changed mine around a week ago and used good old Castrol Edge. With a new car I've always used what the manufacturer recommended. A diy oil change does not cost anything in labour charges so why skip on materials. Never give a dealer or manufacturer or excuse not to put things right if there should be a problem during the warranty period.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts