Yeti Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,
My new Yeti and I wish you 'all the best' for 2014. I'm very pleased with it and can honestly say that I'm getting as much pleasure driving it - in it's own different way - as I used to get in my MR2 Roadster! Also, it creates more admiring glances/interest than my recent Baby Benz.

However, down to business...I didn't expect fuel consumption to be marvellous from such a wee motor and so I haven't been disappointed. However, can anyone say whether running on 97 octane super duper stuff makes a significant difference to mpg??
Pericles.

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
Pericles said:
...However, down to business...I didn't expect fuel consumption to be marvellous from such a wee motor and so I haven't been disappointed. However, can anyone say whether running on 97 octane super duper stuff makes a significant difference to mpg??
Hi Pericles, that question will get you some varied answers amongst the group. Probably the best one for you is to try it for yourself and see.
In my personal experience though, in Australian conditions, I have found that the higher octane fuel (98 RON here) gives a slightly smoother running engine and a slight increase in power, it is very much a "seat of the pants" feeling though. There is also a small (about 0.2-0.4L/100km) decrease in fuel usage. Probably the best place to judge the performance difference would be on a few local hills or if the vehicle was loaded up, though you would need 3 or 4 tank fills to fully assess it for yourself. You may end up not noticing any difference at all. It depends a lot on your particular driving style. Whenever I can, I prefer to fill up on the higher RON fuel. I also use an Upper Cylinder Lubricant in the fuel which helps no matter what RON fuel I use.

Edited by: plbxr

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
I used Redex years ago, and several other brands since then. Nowadays it's a semi-synthetic 2-stroke Outboard oil at about 1:200 dilution. It has to be outboard/marine oil because it is formulated for engines that are water cooled. It lubricates the high-pressure rail pump and the fuel pump really well. I also used it in the old 405 diesel with good results.
As for those reports...I've seen plenty of them. They give me a good laugh.

The only problem I have is that every time I drive the Yeti by the lake , it wants to steer itself down the boat ramp

·
Administrator
14,841 Posts
I think that nowadays with the improvements in petrol and oil things like Redex have had their day. But if you favour it, and it does not actually cause any harm to your engine go for it.

·
Registered
730 Posts
The Hood said:
I think that nowadays with the improvements in petrol and oil things like Redex have had their day. But if you favour it, and it does not actually cause any harm to your engine go for it.
Totally agree with The Hood on this. Since old Austin A35 days when I first started driving, I used Redex when filling up. But on modern sophisticated engines, Redex has seen it's dat, but as long as it does no harm - go for it if you wish to.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Greetings again Brothers (and Sisters!),
Gosh! When I posed the question I did not expect replies about Redex! As a youth in the 1950's I worked at weekends in a garage selling petrol. (I don't think people were allowed to serve themselves. In fact few people had cars, but they were generous tippers.)

Folk would ask for, say, four gallons and four shots - the Redex shots being 1p and I think petrol was 4 shillings and 6 pence a gallon!! The whole shebang costing less than £1......

Anyway, thank you for your thoughts. I'll give it a squirt of the 97 next week and see what happens. (I'll think about UCL...)
Pericles.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Oh a few memories here!Anyone remember Redex vacuum gauges or economiser gauge. Remember pulling the rubber pipe of the back and plunging it into a container of Redex instant white smoke screen!
But seriously I had wondered how the high pressure injection pump is lubricated on the tsi engines.
Does anyone know?
John

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
johntech said:
But seriously I had wondered how the high pressure injection pump is lubricated on the tsi engines.Does anyone know?
The only part of the high-pressure pump that encounters any sort of lubrication is the very base of the pump piston as it contacts lobes within the cylinder head cover. As for the internals of the pump then it's totally reliant on the unleaded petrol as a lubricant, which on it's own it isn't.

·
Registered
22 Posts
2 stroke oil would be more beneficial for the diesel engines but I would be careful to make sure it's zero ash so the particulate filter doesn't get clogged.
1:200 is the ratio for a diesel but for the petrol motors I would go to between 1:500 and 1:1000

For the diesel, apart from lowering friction generally, it is really targetting the fuel system which now has low sulphur diesel and it's much lower lubricating qualities. In my last diesel it ran much quieter and gained about 3% in economy, so it more than paid for itself.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This reminds me of the time (pre 1960) when we'd put a drop of Castrol 'R' in with the two stroke to get that wonderful smell!

Thankfully my Yeti is a 'SUCK - PUSH - BANG & BLOW' machine and it is going very well on the 97 octane stuff. Although I haven't done an accurate consumption check it seems to have improved the mpg and performance, no doubt helped by increasing mileage, is very decent.
Regards to all, Pericles.

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
Thanks for the feedback.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Pericles said:
This reminds me of the time (pre 1960) when we'd put a drop of Castrol 'R' in with the two stroke to get that wonderful smell!

Thankfully my Yeti is a 'SUCK - PUSH - BANG & BLOW' machine and it is going very well on the 97 octane stuff. Although I haven't done an accurate consumption check it seems to have improved the mpg and performance, no doubt helped by increasing mileage, is very decent.
Regards to all, Pericles.

My Yeti is a PISS SQUEEZE BANG & FART machine and also achieves very good mileage figures. I do tend to chug around at 60 on motorways when I'm not in a hurry, though.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I've done about 1500 miles in my Yeti now and in general I have been achieving about 38mpg. The other day for the first time I actually thought to turn the air conditioning off and it made a real difference even around town I was getting in the mid forties. On Friday I am going around 160 miles down to Hampshire for the weekend so it will be interesting to see what I achieve then. Unlike our Aussie member's I don't think I will need it at this time of year !!

·
Registered
471 Posts
Love the discussions about Reddex etc but should we not be a bit concerned at the effect on these oil type products on the long term life of Cats on petrol cars & Filters on diesels?I don't want to be a kill joy but it could be expensive if it goes ***s up in a few thousand miles time.

·
Premium Member
2,460 Posts
Empcom said:
I've done about 1500 miles in my Yeti now and in general I have been achieving about 38mpg. The other day for the first time I actually thought to turn the air conditioning off and it made a real difference even around town I was getting in the mid forties. On Friday I am going around 160 miles down to Hampshire for the weekend so it will be interesting to see what I achieve then. Unlike our Aussie member's I don't think I will need it at this time of year !!

Don't forget to run the aircon at least once a month to keep the pump seals lubricated, or the system will not work as well due to slight gas pressure drop, always have mine on auto for that reason. Never fond it to affect the fuel consumption that much when I had the 1.2, always averaged around the low to mid 40s, the best I managed on a run was 51mpg.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
For anyone that doesn't know, the air conditioning can be switched on in winter to rapidly clear internal misting. Pericles.

·
Registered
22 Posts
JOOKS said:
Love the discussions about Reddex etc but should we not be a bit concerned at the effect on these oil type products on the long term life of Cats on petrol cars & Filters on diesels?I don't want to be a kill joy but it could be expensive if it goes ***s up in a few thousand miles time.
My dad used to put shots of Redex in the fuel for the motorcycle combo we had when I was a kid.
Hopefully it's been improved over the years to suit modern emission control systems?

2 stroke oil is lovely stuff. Specifically designed to disperse in fuel to provide lubrication and then to combust as cleanly as possible for minimal emissions. A good quality 2 stroke oil with zero ash should reduce the friction wherever it goes and leave little, if any, trace after combustion.

My previous car was a Toyota 86 and in the US they have problems with ethanol causing the HP fuel pump[direct and port injection] to make a chirping noise because ethanol reduces the lubricating qualities of the fuel. Many owners have found that as little as 1:1000 of 2 stroke oil is enough to shut the pump up while they wait for Subaru and Toyota to find a fix. Some also notice they get a small gain in economy, even with that tiny amount.

I wont put any in my 103TDI until it's well and truly run in. I used the quick method and after 3,000km it's used zero oil. When I rang a Skoda dealer to buy a filter to do an oil change at about 6,000km I was told the factory oil is not the fully synthetic spec and is designed to allow the rings to bed in. They suggested leaving it until the first service and that it would start to use oil if I changed it earlier for the fully synthetic spec. He sounded convincing and why would they say that if it's not correct but I find it hard to believe they would allow a lower spec oil to stay in for so long?

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
JOOKS said:
The oils I use are either approved or certified to meet the relevant standard for marine 2 stroke oils ie NMMA TC-W3. They actually have lower levels of contaminants such as sulphated ash, than straight pump diesel or petrol. Sulphur contaminant levels for Australian petrol is 5 (PULP) to 15 (ULP/E10) times higher than for European Union fuel.
Sierra, you can use a leaner dilution ratio, if you choose to, but after using outboard oil as a UCL in petrol cars for over 30 years, and diesels for 12 years, a ratio of about 1:200 is about optimum for my needs.
Examination of spark plugs and/or exhausts have revealed no excessive carbon deposits and catalytic converters never failed or became poisoned. My old 405 actually built up more carbon when not using a UCL. Outside forum contributors with DPF's have claimed that the distance travelled between DPF regens has almost doubled for them. This wouldn't necessarily apply to Yeti's as I think that they have a distance limit for DPF regens set into the ECU.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts