Yeti Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning team,
I tried out the heated seat on my way to work this morning and only the back element heated! Could it be a separate fuse for the seat heated element or a break in the loom?
Also does anybody know if my model was fitted will hill start assist or are my brakes binding on a hill start?
Thank you.

·
Premium Member
5,441 Posts
Does your car have an electronic parking brake? Some Yetis do. Particularly those with a “higher” spec level and a centre stowage box between the front seats. Others have a traditional, cable operated brake to a hand lever between the front seats.

I don’t have direct experience of an electronic park brake in a Yeti, but in plenty of other cars, they can be rather slow to release. Giving the impression the brakes are binding as you lift the clutch. In practice, some “drag” is required to persuade them to release.

·
Premium Member
1,561 Posts
Are you sure? I had a top spec end of line yeti and it had a normal handbrake even though a dsg.
The brakes release over a couple of seconds when foot brake released to allow the power to be applied and move away without rolling backwards. Take longer than that and it will roll back. It only works on a gradient, on level road does not engage and releases brake immediately.
All the dsg yetis have this as standard and higher spec manuals

·
Administrator
14,215 Posts
The Yeti Elegance has hill hold, when you make a hill start, after you take your foot off the brake it holds for three or four seconds before releasing. As you lift the clutch and pull away the brake releases, so you need to make it a smooth process otherwise the brake will release before you pull away. It is separate to the handbrake and also works when reversing up a hill..

·
Registered
122 Posts
Does your car have an electronic parking brake? Some Yetis do. Particularly those with a “higher” spec level and a centre stowage box between the front seats. Others have a traditional, cable operated brake to a hand lever between the front seats.

I don’t have direct experience of an electronic park brake in a Yeti, but in plenty of other cars, they can be rather slow to release. Giving the impression the brakes are binding as you lift the clutch. In practice, some “drag” is required to persuade them to release.
No Yeti's had EPB.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

My yeti does have the traditional hand brake and centre armrest!

·
Premium Member
5,077 Posts
Heated seat.
No the two parts share a common fuse. The bum part failing is not unusual and it can be replaced. I think there might be a guide in the Yetipedia.

·
Premium Member
5,681 Posts
The seat part usually fails because someone has kneeled on it, breaking the elements.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I tried out the heated seat on my way to work this morning and only the back element heated! Could it be a separate fuse for the seat heated element or a break in the loom?
I think the element is probably broken. I believe this is a problem (not just on Yetis) that can be caused by for example kneeling on the seat?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The Yeti Elegance has hill hold, when you make a hill start, after you take your foot off the brake it holds for three or four seconds before releasing. As you lift the clutch and pull away the brake releases, so you need to make it a smooth process otherwise the brake will release before you pull away. It is separate to the handbrake and also works when reversing up a hill..
Fantastic, Thank you.
I think the element is probably broken. I believe this is a problem (not just on Yetis) that can be caused by for example kneeling on the seat?
Thanks, yes I've done some reading up, I'll probably live with it.🙄

·
Premium Member
5,441 Posts
Are you sure? I had a top spec end of line yeti and it had a normal handbrake even though a dsg. All the dsg yetis have this as standard and higher spec manuals
Nope! That’s why I was asking Happy Yeti what sort of parking brake her Yeti has. :)

Today’s new learning item is that Yetis can still have a “hill hold” function, even with a conventional, lever applied, hand brake. I had assumed (perhaps incorrectly?) that to have the Hill Hold function, that meant the car had to have an electronically controlled method of applying the mechanical parking brake on its own. And that meant it must therefore also have an electronic parking brake, of some sort, that could be applied by the driver, using a switch. Avoiding use of a hand brake lever. Like other cars I’ve used with electronic parking brakes. Seems the the Hill hold equipped Yetis have some sort of hybrid mechanism that can work both ways? Perhaps using the hydraulic system, not a mechanical brake application at all?

Either way, there is a period when the parking brake is held. Which could well feel like the brakes are binding. As in the OP question.

No worries though. The question has been answered. I can duck out of the thread and leave it to you guys with superior knowledge.
(y)

Reactions: Ruari

·
Registered
275 Posts
And that meant it must therefore also have an electronic parking brake, of some sort, that could be applied by the driver, using a switch.
If you look carefully a small chock is applied by an even smaller gnome when required. It is polite to throw some small coins out of the window when this service has been required, they are amazingly fast at picking them up.

·
Premium Member
5,077 Posts
Henry,
As far as I understand it, there is a facility run by electrickery that holds the brake pressure to the back brakes for that short period, and it doesn't involve the hand brake system.
The Niro must have a similar "thing" as although that does have an electric hand brake I don't hear it releasing when I use the Hill Hold delay.

And I'm still trying to work out how you can do hand brake turns with the electric one!

Reactions: Flintstone

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If you look carefully a small chock is applied by an even smaller gnome when required. It is polite to throw some small coins out of the window when this service has been required, they are amazingly fast at picking them up.
Ahhhhh I see.😆

Reactions: Flintstone

·
Registered
122 Posts
Today’s new learning item is that Yetis can still have a “hill hold” function, even with a conventional, lever applied, hand brake. I had assumed (perhaps incorrectly?) that to have the Hill Hold function, that meant the car had to have an electronically controlled method of applying the mechanical parking brake on its own.
(y)
Both Hill Hold and Auto Hold are fitted across the VAG range. Both use hydraulic brake pressure and not the parking brake.

Hill hold prevents roll back for a few seconds, auto hold keeps the car stationary for long periods such as when sat at traffic lights or a junction.

Hill Hold can be fitted to all models

Auto Hold is only fitted to vehicles with Electric Parking Brake. This is for safety as Autohold is disengaged in certain circumstances (Engine turned off, seat belt undone, time etc) and if autohold is disengaged the EPB is automatically applied so the car does not roll away.

So the Yeti can have Hill Hold but not Autohold as it doesn't have an EPB.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
And I'm still trying to work out how you can do hand brake turns with the electric one!
I don't think there is a way on any VAG car where pulling up and holding the EPB switch on the move preforms an emergency stop - - - ask Jimmy!

·
Premium Member
4,027 Posts
I don't think there is a way on any VAG car where pulling up and holding the EPB switch on the move preforms an emergency stop - - - ask Jimmy!
I like the EPB and as with the DSG I'd not buy a car without either, unless an EV has a different system. Hill starts are a doddle and I can confirm that if the EPB is applied on the move, it acts as an emergency brake if the main braking system fails. The only slight problem with auto hold is when parked on a steep slope, the accelerator needs to be pressed quite hard to disengage the brakes - as it doesn't behave the same on the flat, I assume there is an inclinometer. The other slight annoyance for the driver behind with the autohold is that when stopped at junctions the brake lights remain on. Finally I tried the EPB at about 5mph and the car came to a very sudden halt almost resulting in a poo stripe on my Y-fronts. :eek:

·
Registered
122 Posts
I like the EPB and as with the DSG I'd not buy a car without either, unless an EV has a different system. Hill starts are a doddle and I can confirm that if the EPB is applied on the move, it acts as an emergency brake if the main braking system fails. The only slight problem with auto hold is when parked on a steep slope, the accelerator needs to be pressed quite hard to disengage the brakes - as it doesn't behave the same on the flat, I assume there is an inclinometer. The other slight annoyance for the driver behind with the autohold is that when stopped at junctions the brake lights remain on. Finally I tried the EPB at about 5mph and the car came to a very sudden halt almost resulting in a poo stripe on my Y-fronts. :eek:
Just be aware it's not the EPB that is doing autohold. You can get automatics with EPB without auothold so it's something to be aware off when buying future cars or for others if it's autohold that you like.

And not all cars with autohold keep the brake lights on. But all Skoda's do.

·
Premium Member
4,027 Posts
Hi Logiclee thanks but from a previous post of yours I realised that the foot-operated brakes applied auto hold. If there is the need for an emergency stop, does extra braking assistance kick-in if rapid deceleration is sensed? Also with modern dual circuit brakes, is there any real need for the EHB to be available for an emergency? Finally, has any car ever been fitted with air brakes?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Hi Logiclee thanks but from a previous post of yours I realised that the foot-operated brakes applied auto hold. If there is the need for an emergency stop, does extra braking assistance kick-in if rapid deceleration is sensed? Also with modern dual circuit brakes, is there any real need for the EHB to be available for an emergency? Finally, has any car ever been fitted with air brakes?
Most modern Skoda's and other makes have Emergency Brake Assist (EBA) so if the car sensors you are doing an emergency stop then assistance is given to fully apply the brakes.
With dual circuit brakes total brake failure is rare but not fully unkown. I believe across VAG there's different requirements for the EPB in an emergency. Most only engage under a preset speed.

Not ever heard of a car with air brakes but there's been several with power hydraulic brakes.

Reactions: Jimmy
1 - 20 of 36 Posts