Yeti Owners Club banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys & Doll
There seems to be a ground swell of talk here in Australia OF PEOPLE REMOVING THE diesel particulate filter.If the DFP IS REMOVED the horse power will go to 180 bhp at this point in time we will be getting around 140 bhp.It seems to be the 2008 engines built in Shanghai.Is there any talk in England about them being removed..
Dave AUSTRALIA TODAYS temp 36 c

<a></a>

·
Premium Member
4,837 Posts
Never seen it mentioned in respect of the Yeti, probably because few are yet out of warranty, plus it would potentially fail our MOT test.
I am also very doubtful of the BHP gains mentioned. The DPF doesn't appear to be very "restrictive" to the exhaust tract.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Pug, I think you are trying to start a rumour. No one I know who has a DPF, irrespective of car make or model is talking about removing it her in WA. This is, becausethere is no significant reports ofproblems with DPF, due greatly; I suggest, to the warmer weather here in Oz or at least WA.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Here in Greece there are also some rumors about DPF removal... But if you remove it, the ECU tries to regenarate it and lights a problem!
If you remove it and programm the ECU properly it doesnt lights VAG problem!
Some people do that because of the high cost that DPF has after 80.000 km that you have to buy a new one! Also, if you travel a lot in the traffic, the DPF can not regenarate so it has a problem really more early than 80.000 km!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your sound advise. YEAH your right there are a few cowboys down under always trying something new. I've got a great mate who is a master spanner man he drinks synthetic oil for a nite cap..He has Just email me and said don't touch that great little car and engine.He said after it is run in he would like to fit a diesel chip.........Today's Temp Down under. Monday. 25. Feb. 35.6. C

·
Premium Member
4,837 Posts
According to my local MOT tester he has failed 2 of the local "modders" in diesel Citreons. Both had cut the pipe and welded in a new section (badly in one case!)

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
Hi ya Pug, I have read a bit about the Murricans doing DPF removals on VW Golfs with a few post-removal videos posted on YouTube. Here's an Aussie DPF delete site here:
http://www.chiptuning.com.au/sign-dpf-blocked-dpf-blockage/
For the sake of balance:
http://www.caradvice.com.au/122835/new-car-emissions-cut-for-australia-finally/
With the ongoing improvements in diesel efficiency and fuel cleanliness (ie ULSD), I fail to see the need for them at all in Oz in smaller diesel engines. As far as I am concerned it's just another case of bureaucracy interfering where it isn't really needed.

Edit: Emissions problems aren't just caused by diesels;
Unlike diesel, which has had a mandatory maximum sulphur content of 10
parts per million in Australia since 2009, there is no legislation in
place to force the introduction of low-sulphur petrol, which would
require significant investment by the oil refineries.

Mercedes argues that higher fuel consumption results in higher CO2
emissions, so if Australia's goal of reducing the transport carbon
footprint is to be realised, it follows that adopting low-sulphur fuel ""“
as has taken place in regions such as Europe, where sulphur is limited
to 10ppm across all fuels ""“ could be a key step in the process.

In Australia, the Fuel Quality Standards Act 2000 set a maximum of
150ppm for regular unleaded since 2005 and 50ppm for premium unleaded
since 2008.

Ref:http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mellor.nsf/story2/818CE14DE489F17ACA2579F80029C18C

Edited by: plbxr

1 - 10 of 10 Posts