Yeti Owners Club banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Positives /
First off have to say i've been more than impressed with the interior / exterior & general feel of the car , it was bought on a whim :surprise: never had a Skoda & never driven a Yeti before but happy to say after 70 miles it will be staying .

Love the raised driving position , not quite a Touareg but its enough to take you out of the roadspray that surrounds you this time of year

MPG is brilliant for the size & shape of the thing ,2.0 tdi 5spd 2wd first week daily commute averaged 55-56mpg over 80miles , second week after a tyre change i'm seeing 58-59mpg daily :wink:

Nav , phone , heater , steering wheel controls all easy to use & function well

Seats are Ok ( ive had much better but they are nowhere near the worst ) & all round vision good .

Negatives / ( these are just my own niggles )
The dash binnacles are poorly designed , way too "binocularesque" in their tunnel vision & depending how you sit the left side of the speedo part (10mph - 40mph ) is obscured , your eyes would need to be 200mm apart to work correctly :smile_big:
No way to change the digital KMH readout into MPH without coding
Cupholders not deep enough
When seats are raised the central armrest & door armrest become redundant
No under front seat storage ( or at least not on my car )

Anyhow i like it & its here to stay , work miles 8-10k a year plus miles to our place in France another 4k a year so it will be well used , its currently on 98k , had a timing belt + waterpump at 92k but will be having a oil change onto Millers 5w 30 next week along with a pair of front shocks ( noted at last 2 MOT tests & clearly past their best )

·
Administrator
14,193 Posts
That sounds like a good start, and it does not look like half the other cars in the car park. There is a post in the Yetipedia on how to fit an under seat storage tray. Fully agree about the speedo. I had thought about reversing the dials, but the innards prevent that being done.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Yep I also agree with you
my Speedo only shows mph Very annoying when driving in Europe
my old Octavia conveniently showed both
mine has under drivers seat drawer mind

·
Premium Member
5,426 Posts
Eddie,
Sounds like a previous owner has changed the digital speed display on your car, from kph to mph. That can be done, but they would have had to also use VCDS or similar to first trick the car into thinking it lives in Australia or USA. I understand the display can be flipped back to kph, via some tricks in the Maxidot options menu system. I expect someone will be along soon who knows how to do that. It may even be in Yetipedia?

·
Administrator
14,193 Posts
Hopefully I have attached three pictures, one shows the larger display with the changed country setting, one shows the extra menu box for turning it on and off, the third my preferred display with more lines, not available with the large mph.
After dragging and dropping there are size options displayed, thumbnail or full size, this might be two x thumbnail and one full size

VCDS mph option.jpg VCDS mph option.jpg
VCDS preffered display.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Found another basic design "flaw" today .
Cruising along at 70mph on m-way in heavy rain the water blows off the wing mirror housings spreading across the window area you would use to look at the mirrors .
Rendered them pretty much useless , not ideal

·
Premium Member
5,066 Posts
Never noticed that on mine.

Reactions: Bexhillian

·
Administrator
14,193 Posts
Before fitting Heko deflectors the rain travelled up my side windows but never to the extent of rendering the mirrors useless. The Heko's also stop rain dripping onto the door switches when the window is opened.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Never noticed that on mine.
Well i covered 4 hrs today from Cambridge to home , lots of rain & i'm not imagining it .
Starts from 65mph , with enough rain to require wipers on full wipe first setting can barely see a decent reflection in either mirror .
I cover a good few miles a year & have 2 other cars in our household (both Bmw's) to compare with & this is definite thumbs down for me on what is otherwise a great car to drive long distances in .
In the dark any cars behind are seen easier with them having lights on but daytime if cars behind have sidelights or no lights its not ideal

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,066 Posts
Well I've driven Yeti's for more than 10 years and I've never found it to be a problem.
And I do live in wet Wales!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well i covered 4 hrs today from Cambridge to home , lots of rain & i'm not imagining it .
Starts from 65mph , with enough rain to require wipers on full wipe first setting can barely see a decent reflection in either mirror .
I cover a good few miles a year & have 2 other cars in our household (both Bmw's) to compare with & this is definite thumbs down for me on what is otherwise a great car to drive long distances in .
In the dark any cars behind are seen easier with them having lights on but daytime if cars behind have sidelights or no lights its not ideal
I'm on the Lancs/Yorks border , pretty sure we can match you for rain .
Perhaps its down to me driving a good few different vehicles in the course of a year that i notice small things that can easily become annoyances .
For eg I had a 997 C4 from last April to this Jan , covered around 3000miles in all conditions , the mirrors on that car actually have a cut out in them in order to blow rain off the side windows so vision is never impaired .

Maybe next time you're out in heavy rain at 70mph plus you will see what i mean with the Yeti

·
Administrator
14,193 Posts
It might be the angle of the picture, but the position of your mirrors look different to mine, the body of yours look as if they are rotated. Have they got knocked?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I don't think so Mr Hood but i'l have a gander tomorrow , they fold out / in without issue & when not doing 70mph in the rain they function as they should

·
Premium Member
5,674 Posts
In the 5+ years of owning the Yeti and driven in very heavy rain I have never had that problem.

·
Registered
254 Posts
It might be the angle of the picture, but the position of your mirrors look different to mine, the body of yours look as if they are rotated. Have they got knocked?
They do look to be tilted upwards. Only had ours a couple of months and although we've had plenty rain I don't think we've hit 70 in the wet yet. I'm interested to find out how ours perform now.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Eddie,
Sounds like a previous owner has changed the digital speed display on your car, from kph to mph. That can be done, but they would have had to also use VCDS or similar to first trick the car into thinking it lives in Australia or USA. I understand the display can be flipped back to kph, via some tricks in the Maxidot options menu system. I expect someone will be along soon who knows how to do that. It may even be in Yetipedia?
It's possible to do the switch to Australian mode (and back) using a Carista OBD dongle. Much cheaper and easier to use than VCDS. I've done it myself, and now rarely look at the speedo, the large mph readout is more useful.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts