Yeti Owners Club banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have a 2010 2.0 TDI CR (170bhp) Elegance 4x4 5dand it has developed an electrical fault on the divers side front and rear doors. I absolutely love this car and have only had it since December last year. The garage I bought it from offered a 60 day used car warranty which has unfortunately now expired hence asking for help and advice from this forum.

Front Door (drivers side)
The mirror adjuster, all window switches and central locking have all stopped working on this door but the indicator light on the mirror and red light on the inside door card are working fine.

Rear Door (drivers Side)
The electric window and central locking have stopped working on this door.

Alarm Button
The button to disable internal alarm sensors located on door pillar had also stopped working.

The remote central locking locks and unlocks the passenger side doors and tailgate successfully but does not lock the drivers side doors.

Does anyone have any experience of this happening before and how its fixed?

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

·
Administrator
4,431 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
Common issue with older yetis has been broken wires in the loom between the A pillar and the front door, usually the drivers side as that tends to get used more. Cause is the fact that the loom is too short and doesn't allow enough movement in the opening/closing of the door. .You can sometimes see the broken wires if you peel back therubber covering on the wires between the door and pillar.
The loom was redesigned and from sometime in 2013 thenew onehas a noticeable U shape as in the gap between door and A pillar. Replacement is around £120 for the loom plus labour for drivers side.

Edited by: SnowGood

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi, thanks for the reply,

I suspected that it may be an issue with broken wires. For a while the problem was intermittent and opening / closing the drivers door would either fix or cause the fault but its now completely dead and not working.

Would a fault/broken wire in the loom for the drivers door effect the rear door as well?

Can anyone recommend whether a repair/replacement to a front door wiring loom should be done by a Skoda main dealer or is this the sort of job that can be undertaken by an independent auto electrician or even done at home.

·
Premium Member
4,703 Posts
The breaks can affect all sorts of other systems. Think about it, your door switchscontrol all the windows.
If you can buy the new loom anyone could fit it, and there is at least one member here who has repaired his own.

·
Administrator
4,431 Posts
Job can be done by any one competent if they use the skoda supplied loom. Some people have suggested getting a replacements from a breakers yard but it's likely that they will have suffered the same damage and end up having to be replaced again. There have been no reports of the newer design suffering the same issue.
The faults caused by the wires seem to be numerous and because the yeti has a canbus system it isn't always obviously linked to a front door so my first guess would be it's quite possible that new loom(s) would resolve all the problems.

Here is an older threadon the same topic that has some photos of the damage. http://www.yetiownersclub.co.uk/forum/failed-door-loom_topic5088.html

·
Administrator
13,046 Posts
Hi Gregor welcome to the forum. As above it is the door loom, mine did the same.

As far as the 60 day warranty goes, have a look in the Yetipedia in the technical section. Under your consumer rights, the dealer is liable for any fault present or developing at the point of sale for the first six months. The onus is legally on the dealer to prove it was not, not you, so it would be worth going along to see him.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks again for all of the replies.
I have never used a forum before but have to say I'm very impressed. Lots of knowledge and tips.
Regarding the 60 day warranty I may go back to the dealer and question this as I only bought the car in December 2017 so its well within 6 months. The dealership I bought it from is a big main dealer (not Skoda) so I would think they should be able deal with this.

·
Administrator
13,046 Posts
If I were you I would pull back the rubber bellows where the loom passes from the A Pillar to the front passenger door and see if any of those wires are cracking or have already broken. If they are the dealer can replace both (at his expense) at the same time.

·
Administrator
13,046 Posts
Hi Busman, welcome to the forum.

Are you saying you can't get one from a Skoda dealer (or TPS)? I wouldn't bother going for a pattern one, much better to know it will fit.

·
Premium Member
4,768 Posts
Hi any idea where i can buy the loom?
finding it hard to get one
TPS are saying Trade only.
Spare parts prices at franchised Skoda dealers can be surprisingly competitive? One of the better things about Skoda dealers in general. Opposite of some other manufacturer brands. Have you tried one or two of them local to you?

·
Registered
52 Posts
I had this with a 2005 Touran and managed to order a new loom from a VW dealers (approx £60)
Fitting is very straightforward, have some strong wide tape available to hold the glass up when you remove the door carrier.
The job probably takes a few hours with coffee breaks

1 - 13 of 13 Posts