Yeti Owners Club banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I've recently bought this car from a Skoda dealer, it's done 32k miles & has full service history.
The haldex was supposed to be serviced at the last service, about 31k miles.
However I suspect the main dealers do not clean the filter gauze !
I got a price from an independent in Newcastle, they quoted £139 which seems a bit steep for what should be no more than an hour's work, if that.

What are others paying for this job & does anyone know of another garage that would this for less ?
Or am I been unrealistic....

I just want it done for peace of mind...

Thank you

·
Registered
361 Posts
Depends on the version of Haldex you have. Gen 4 has a replaceable filter, so a quick swap when changing the oil. Given the mileage of yours I would assume gen 5, in which case it is a bit more Labour intensive. My gen 4 service cost me £115 last year at a trusted Indy, so 139 doesn't sound too unreasonable.
Much cheaper than a replacement when it struggles with the accumulated dirt.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Depends on the version of Haldex you have. Gen 4 has a replaceable filter, so a quick swap when changing the oil. Given the mileage of yours I would assume gen 5, in which case it is a bit more Labour intensive. My gen 4 service cost me £115 last year at a trusted Indy, so 139 doesn't sound too unreasonable.
Much cheaper than a replacement when it struggles with the accumulated dirt.
I'd say mine is a gen 5 going on age, in which case it's just a case of cleaning out the suction gauze plus a ltr of fluid & however long it takes.
I've looked at the job on YouTube & it's obvious not rocket science or a job that take more than 1 hour ( if that long )
But as you say it's a **** of a lot cheaper than a haldex failure !

·
Registered
115 Posts
Hi gang, I phoned my local Agent today about Haldex service/oil change, I've no history of it being done so I thought time is about right, 64 plate L&K & I think from a previous thread it's a Gen 5, anyway they've quoted me £95,

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi gang, I phoned my local Agent today about Haldex service/oil change, I've no history of it being done so I thought time is about right, 64 plate L&K & I think from a previous thread it's a Gen 5, anyway they've quoted me £95,
Is this a main dealer ? Plus are they cleaning the filter ?
I was going to do the service myself but I've read it must be reset using a vagcom or vdcs so the pump learns that it's got a clean filter & new oil !

·
Registered
115 Posts
Yes that is a main dealer, don't know about a reset, seems odd coz there's nothing comes up to say it's old/due replacement, bit like brake fluid I suppose. Filter !? not sure with that one thought it was just Gen 4 that had a dedicated filter

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes that is a main dealer, don't know about a reset, seems odd coz there's nothing comes up to say it's old/due replacement, bit like brake fluid I suppose. Filter !? not sure with that one thought it was just Gen 4 that had a dedicated filter
There's a filter on the gen 5 that should be cleaned.
Apparently the main dealers usually fail to do this, also after it's been done you need to use a vagcom to set the haldex pump to learn....
I'll go fig out the information.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
361 Posts
My friend Dale, cake fuelled mechanical genius and trusted servicer of vehicles, says the gen 5 is straightforward so long as they know that the filter guaze needs a proper clsan. If done properly oonly adds 10 minutes to the overall procedure, and as oil quantities are similar, removing the need for a new filter should make it a cheaper job. £100 would be right according to Dale, and his boss agrees.

·
Premium Member
1,391 Posts
I will shortly have to have my haldex and dsg serviced. I queried the skoda garage in York and they charge £99 to service the haldex and assured me that they do open it and clean the mesh filter as that is important to do. Seemed to be well aware of the issues if not done.

·
Super Moderator
12,675 Posts
Did you previously have vehicle details in your signature line? After reading your post my first reaction was to look at your signature line to see if gen 4 or gen 5 but nothing showing.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Did you previously have vehicle details in your signature line? After reading your post my first reaction was to look at your signature line to see if gen 4 or gen 5 but nothing showing.
Hi Hood, yes I do have a signature,it's showing on the first post of this thread cheers (64 plate F/L L&K)

·
Registered
115 Posts
Being new here I have to ask, what's a signature ?
It's a section @ the bottom of your posts where you can put info about your car,yourself,whatever you feel is apt, not sure how to get into it with new format tho'

1 - 16 of 16 Posts