Yeti Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Administrator
4,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I am about to place an order for a new Yeti and in doing the research came across this forum and hope that someone here can offer their opinions.
I currently have a VW 2.0TDI Touran which I find a realy good drive, pacey, comfortable cruising and I am afraid I'll miss it. It has very similar Verioflex seating to the Yeti which I like in terms of versility as well as a big boot. ( don't need the seven seat capacity these days). I have in fact "converted" it to a 5 seat and have a space saver spare under a new boot floor. I've looked for a new car that offers the same versitility as the Touran but the type of driving I am doing now would conflict with the DPF recommendations so I am considering a 1.2TSI Elegance on the basis of fuel economy being closest to the diesel and they are cheaper than the 1.4 and 1.8

Will I be disappointed by this drop in engine size in the Yeti? All the reviews praise it but if anyone has long term day to day use can they give any opinion on how they've found it. Also those with a Yeti and spacesaver spare does it leave the boot space a bitlimited for those occassions you need to pack the kitchen sink. (Yes I have a child at university)

Appreciate that lots of members of this forum are diesel 4X4 Yeti owners but don't let that stop you giving an opinion.

Many thanks

·
Administrator
14,191 Posts
Hi I have a diesel 4x4 so cannot comment on the fuel aspect, but I have been there with the uni runs (twice) . Obviously everyone is different but I think the boot would have been too small for one of our sons, I had a Nissan Prairie at the time which had a much larger boot and we filled it to bursting point. I have a spare wheel and it takes up quite a lot of room. That said the Yeti is a very nice car, you could always get a roof box or a trailer. It might make sense to have a word with a dealer and try a simulated "load" they are after your business and so should not object too much.

·
Administrator
4,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response to this. I've got a daughter at Uni so the amount of stuff is probably 50% more than any normal boy.
I've looked at roof boxes/bags as an option but discounted trailers. The other option for the uni run is just to hire a Transit!

The boot space issue is one of those things about a car that you don't fullyuse very often but when you need it it somehow seems critical at the time. In the measured volume figures I guess the Touran has c80% more boot space than a Yeti with a spare wheel. Not sure if my anxiety about it is really unwarrented but with a holiday in France coming up it's on my mind.

What do you think of the Aqua Blue. Have looked for a Yeti in that colour around here but so far no luck. I'd have initially gone for Silver or Grey but wonder if the Aqua is a silvery blue or should that be bluey silver that looks good on the Yeti.

Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
2,460 Posts
H i
I had a 1.2tsi and found the little engine a gem it has enough power for normal driving around town and country lanes giving a good mpg,and more than copes with high speed motorway work, but above 60mph the fuel consumption will suffer a little. But saying that I think all cars drop on mpg above 60 because they are running above the optimum revs for fuel efficiency, the only reason I changed to the 110 was to have the 4x4 option, but saying that the mpg I'm getting from it is really good.

The boot space will be a lot less with the spare but you do have the folding seats or the option to remove 1 2 or 3 of the rear seats for the times you need more space, if you its only driver and 1 passenger you will be surprised how much you can get in with the rear seats folded or removed, (comes from experience of moving my son from his old flat to a new one) if you have 3 passengers you can still remove the middle rear seat and the outer seats will slide forward to give more boot space and still have good leg room as long as the front or rear seat occupants are not 6ft tall, it's very versatile.

Hope this helps you, or as said get a demo for the day and play to be sure.

regards

Kevin

·
Administrator
4,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Kevin.It'shelpful to hear the views of someone whose owned one and therefore got experience over a period of time and in practical use of a 1.2tsi.
Think you right about the fuel consumption at over sixty but as a bigger engine isn't working as hard I suspect the fall off a peak maybe a bit more with the 1.2.
The versatility of the seating is one of the things that made me look at the Yeti. I found that buying loft insulation was a good test of capacity in terms of how many rolls you can get into the car in one trip. Think I had 12 in the Touran without blocking the view in the rear view mirror. But I have done that now so just need to make that decision and thento wait six months. Your feedback is helpful.

·
Premium Member
2,460 Posts

did you forget what you where going to say

·
Administrator
14,191 Posts
The last reply went a bit wrong, I tried to use the forum spell check and it wiped all the text and posted a blank page! I like the Aqua Blue, the colour seems to change, on a bright day it looks quite blue but when its cloudy it looks silver, to see if I liked the colour I bought a touch up pen from No1forskoda on ebay. The colours in the brochure are not very accurate it is more silver than blue. When I ordered my Yeti the dealer changed the spec of an already ordered demo to what I wanted, I waited four months. I know you are not ordering a diesel but I have done 1100 miles and the maxidot thinks I am getting 49 mpg, not bad at all, 12 mpg more than my previous 1.8 petrol Mazda.

·
Administrator
4,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for that, some photos show it as quite blue and some it seems to come out silver. I've found a localish dealer with a second hand one in Aqua Blue so will try and get over and see if it's still there toview it in the metal. In their photos you'd think it was a silver model but the description says Aqua Blue.

(Glad that my mis-steer on the fumes lead to a more pleasant surprise for you with the discovery of the Rough Road shield)

·
Administrator
4,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Brilliant. Thank you for going to that trouble. The daffodils set it off very nicely.

·
Registered
897 Posts
I have a 1.2 Elegance inAqua Blue and am very pleased with it,I had a choice of this or Silver, Hmm I looked around and noticed so many silver cars and though be different beBlue!.
It changes with the light so it s like having more than one car

foto doesn't do it justice.

·
Administrator
4,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks RickT.
Blue is the new silver then! It's funny how I've started to notice just how many manufacturers have adopted a blue/silver shade to their options. Hope it lasts as a trend as long as silver has. Bronze I am not convinced about.

·
Registered
83 Posts
We have the 1.2 and it's a cracking little engine. Feels more like a regular 1.6 petrol car, but then that's no surprise as not long ago a 1.6 petrol had the same power output. If you like brisk performance at motorway speeds, then I'd get something else. From 60mph it takes a little while to build the speed up. Nothing bad, but it doesn't take off. For all other driving it's very good though and it will still happily accelerate up to speeds you shouldn't be doing on the motorway, even if it's not lighting quick.

Ours is going in two weeks to be replaced with... another 1.2, we've only upped the spec but the 1.2 (and DSG) is great.

As for Aqua Blue, my Mum bought her Greenline II in that colour. I have to admit I thought it was a mistake as I like the bold solid colours. But having seen it now it's very nice. Depending on the light conditions it shifts from blue to silver to grey. Suits the car.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I have the manual geared 1.2 and totally agree with what the Boss says above regarding the engine, it never ceases to amaze me and you tend to forget it's only that size. I also have the Aqua Blue and as stated it changes colour in different lights and doesn't show the dirt too bad

·
Administrator
4,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks to BossFox and andyspan for those thoughts. I did get to see an Aqua Blue yesterday and see just what you all mean about it "changing" colour depending on how the light catches it. We also have an Azure Blue Fiat Panda and must say the Yeti is a much nicer colour.
Looks like the outstanding issue is whether I can put aside those niggling doubts about the boot space.

Thank you all one again for you imputs I'll let you know what I decide.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Apologies, I'm a bit late into this thread. I have the Aqua Blue and it is a fairly nothing, inoffensive colour but it does hide the dirt quite brilliantly. It means the car does not stand out in a car park but is that an issue? If it does then go for bronze!

With regards to the boot space the Yeti is bigger than you first realise. The first step is to think vertically especially as the boot lid is virtually straight up and down. This means you can fill the space without worrying you will put the back window out when you shut the boot. You will be amazed how much you can fit in once the parcel shelf is removed and you start working your way up.

For the university run the best option is to remove all of the rear seats and the car then becomes a van. Again the vertical space is huge and so long as you do not put your self in danger with loose items that can hit you when breaking then you will swallow large amounts of gear. I'm not too old so that I can not remember my own university days and I would not even flicker about the Yeti coping. If you can't fit your gear into a Yeti then your life as a student is simply too plush and you are doing it wrong!

We managed a weeks holiday in the Lake District last year with my wife, 2 kids and a dog, needing summer and wet weather gear (it was the Lakes) and we fitted everything in the boot, no parcel shelf. I have done many trips to the tip with the seats out and the car has never failed. I have a roof box but so far I have not needed it. Don't forget, think vertically and look at the space within the car.

·
Administrator
4,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It's never too late.
Firstly apologies for the poor typing in the last paragraph of my previous entry, I only noticed when I re-read it just now.

The Touran boot is very similar in design to the Yeti when you have the rear two seats folded away so I am used to packing into the "cube". It has the folding/removeableVarioflex seats as well.It was just that the Touran is at least 40% greater volume than a Yeti, without a spare, that was making me wonder how much I would miss it.

Well I have taken the plunge and ordered a 1.2Tsi Elegance, with spare wheeland in Aqua Blue.So thank you for all of the feedback. I am sure I'll be back for more tips and advice and for now I am just hoping it was the right choice.

·
Premium Member
2,460 Posts
SnowGood said:
It's never too late.

Firstly apologies for the poor typing in the last paragraph of my previous entry, I only noticed when I re-read it just now.

The Touran boot is very similar in design to the Yeti when you have the rear two seats folded away so I am used to packing into the "cube". It has the folding/removeableVarioflex seats as well.It was just that the Touran is at least 40% greater volume than a Yeti, without a spare, that was making me wonder how much I would miss it.

Well I have taken the plunge and ordered a 1.2Tsi Elegance, with spare wheeland in Aqua Blue.So thank you for all of the feedback. I am sure I'll be back for more tips and advice and for now I am just hoping it was the right choice.

Hi nice spec
, I'm sure you will find it a good all rounder and a pleasure to drive

Have you thought about adding the heated windscreen, I know petrols warm up faster than diesels but having it on my 110 its a must, clears frost in about 2-3min and if the screen mists up when you get in when its raining it keeps it clear (wish they could fit it to the side Windows as well)

Hope the wait is not to long keep us up to date

·
Administrator
14,191 Posts
My wife's Ford has a heated screen but I have a problem that when I drive her car wearing varifocal glasses I temd to focus on all the wiggly lines rather than the road ahead.I did actually decide to bite the bullet and tried to alter the spec of my order to include a heated screenbut it came through early and I was not able to do so. If there is one area where I find the Yeti dissapoints it is the poor de-ice / demist capability from cold. If I were you I would get a heated screen.
A point to remember wiith the option of a spare wheel (which I have) is that if you remove the rear seats for the uni run you will not have a flat floor unless you remove the spare wheel and storage boxes. But you could always use boxes / suitcasesto createa levelsurface.
Welcome to the colour changing car club.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts