Yeti Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

First of all I am disabled with a back problem and have been searching for a new car through the Motability scheme here in the UK. I am due to order next week to take delivery in mid April.

After looking at quite a few cars I thought I would give the Yeti a go, for the past 3 years I have been driving a Renault Scenic. So, last week I had my first Yeti test drive in a 2 litre Diesel SE Plus 2WD. I found the seats quite hard and it gave me leg and back ache. I then sat in an Elegance and found the leather seats much more comfortable. A few days later I called back into my dealer and asked if I could have a second test drive of a Yeti Elegance this time. The dealer did not have a car available so I contacted a dealer futher away and they has a 62 plate 170 bhp 2 litre diesel manual for me to test drive. What a difference in comfort and no leg or back ache on the test drive. The car with the extra bhp was like a hot hatch lol.

Anyway it swayed me to order a Outdoor 2.0Lt 140bhp diesel 4x4 L&K in Magnetic Brown
Cant wait to get it!!

Poetry6666

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
Hi Poetry6666, my wife also has back problems and we bought our Yeti because of my mobility issues. You have ordered a nice Yeti that I am sure you will find very satisfying.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks plbxr

Mine is a 6 speed DSG as well forgot to put that on. I have never used a DSG before, how do you find it,

Poetry6666

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
I was going to mention about buying a DSG but checked SUK and saw your model only comes in DSG. A wise choice, I thought, if you have back issues. I have the seven speed DSG but generally both 6 and 7 speeds are excellent units. So smooth you will really have to concentrate to feel them shift. They come with both Drive and Sport auto modes as well as manual (tiptronic type) selection via the gear selector lever.

Edited by: plbxr

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I didnt realize that it only came in DSG but I prefer an auto box because of my condition anyway. My current scenic has a 6 speed EDC auto box and 1.5lt diesel and its pretty seamless as well, though it does stick in second sometimes which is a bit annoying...it has the manual +/- manual mode but no sport mode. Does the sport mode make it any better?

Poetry6666

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
poetry6666 said:
Does the sport mode make it any better?
We use it for driving around town and it really makes things much better without without affecting economy too much. In sport mode on the 7 speed it "blips" the motor as it down changes through the lower gears.

The 6 speed DSG's used to come with an item called Launch Control but I don't know if it is programmed into the Yeti's gearbox.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVDEHOIOcEQ

Edited by: plbxr

·
Administrator
14,832 Posts
Are you sure the seats in the L&K are the same? They differ visually in having light stitching but can anyone confirm that otherwise the are the same as the Elegance. When Ibought mine I did a similar thing to you and bought a drivers seat that had a Yeti Elegance fitted to it. If you have not had one try and get a ride in an L&K.The electric seats also differ.

·
Registered
730 Posts
The Hood said:
Are you sure the seats in the L&K are the same? They differ visually in having light stitching but can anyone confirm that otherwise the are the same as the Elegance. When Ibought mine I did a similar thing to you and bought a drivers seat that had a Yeti Elegance fitted to it. If you have not had one try and get a ride in an L&K.The electric seats also differ.

I agree with Derek, I tried a L&K prior to ordering my Elegance 1.2 dsg (via Motability as well) I found the seats were totally different on each car. Make sure you test drive the model you are ordering. You may get a surprise I did.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi paulthepedant

I have never seen an L&K Yeti in person and the garages I have visited didnt have one in either! So I guess I am taking a chance. On the Mobility scheme the 4x4 elegance is actually £200 more expensive than the L&K at £1695. I chose this one because I wanted the sunroof which is normally a £900 option and Park Assist.

poetry6666

·
Administrator
14,832 Posts
I can't speak for the sunroof as I do not have one, but I got park assist for SWMBO. As it turned out she refuses to drive the car until it gets its first dent (27000 dent free miles so far). I have only used park assist two or three times and if I bought another Yeti would not bother with it and save the money.
Edited by: The Hood

·
Registered
213 Posts
Keep up that fine track record Hood. My SWMBO has driven mine happily but rather to be chauffeured at all occasions, she adores the heated seats most.

I have only used park assist for fun but am coming to conclusion it may be better than me, that's not an easy admission for a bloke!

·
Registered
54 Posts
The Hood said:
I can't speak for the sunroof as I do not have one, but I got park assist for SWMBO. As it turned out she refuses to drive the car until it gets its first dent (27000 dent free miles so far). I have only used park assist two or three times and if I bought another Yeti would not bother with it and save the money.
I too have spec'd Park Assist on my Elegance. I was getting the front sensors anyway so thought the extra couple of hundred pounds wasn't too far a stretch in the grand scheme of things, especially as I intend to keep the car long term, but mainly as an additional aid for SWMBO.

The opinion on PA is clearly divided, but I'd be interested to know why you wouldn't bother again...

·
Administrator
14,832 Posts
TunaSan said:
The opinion on PA is clearly divided, but I'd be interested to know why you wouldn't bother again...

The Yeti is easy to park, the couple or soof occasions when I used PA it was because someone asked me to show them how it worked. The front sensors are useful, but as long as SWMBO is not driving the carI think the PA was a waste of money.

·
Administrator
5,137 Posts
On a 2012 model the front and rear sensors work automatically when reverse is engaged. The front sensors can be activated by a button if needed when going forward. The "side" sensors are part of the front sensors. Presume the latest versions are the same. The Yeti has automatic parallel parking but I think some VAG group cars also have reverse parking as well. Saw a clip the other day on driverless carsof an Audi that parked itself when the driver got out and sent a park command from his mobile!

Like the Hood I have PA but have yet to use it an anger and probably wouldn't choose it next time but it wasn't much more than the option of front and rear sensors.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The only reason I am getting Park Assist is that it comes as standard on the L&K as does the sun roof. Like I mentioned earlier on the mobility scheme the deposit for the L&K is £200 cheaper than the Elegance which doesn't even come with a sat nav on the new face lifted model, so its a no brainer for me really!

Poetry6666

·
Administrator
14,832 Posts
I just hope you are OK with the seats, another member is regretting getting amodel different to the one they tried. Asregards the satnav, opinions are dividedamongst those who have it. I do not have it in minebut use a tom tom on top of the dash where I can see it without looking away from the road. It is also easily updated and is used in both of our cars.

·
Registered
730 Posts
The Hood said:
I just hope you are OK with the seats, another member is regretting getting amodel different to the one they tried. Asregards the satnav, opinions are dividedamongst those who have it. I do not have it in minebut use a tom tom on top of the dash where I can see it without looking away from the road. It is also easily updated and is used in both of our cars.
Again I have to go with Derek (sorry Derek, don't mean to creep) My last car was a Golf 1.4sti dsg Match, which had satnav fitted as part of the deal. I previously used a Navigon one, and retained it. I now use that one on a mat on top of the dash, which covers the small cubby hole on the dash top. As my esteemed collegue the noble Hood says, it is in eyesight.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I visited my dealer again today to finalize my order and would you believe I forgot to ask him about the dam sun visor extension that the hood mentioned lol!! Will have to ring him again.

I originally ordered the L&K in Magnetic Brown. But after some thought I rekoned it was a little on the dark side, so I have chosen Muscovado instead. There was a yeti in the car park in this colour and I really liked it. I also got the heated washer nozzles and some rear mud flaps. Expect delivery mid April. Cannot wait

Poetry6666

·
Administrator
14,832 Posts
The extended visor was an extra in a Yeti brochure, I have looked through my available collection of brochures (sad) and cannot find the one that mentioned it, I think it may have been a 2010 edition. From memory it was described as eithera double or extendablesun visor, it may be possible that it extended sideways rather than down and I will be surprised if a salesman remembers it but it could prove to be what you are after, it might also be listed as a VW option on one of their cars.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts