Yeti Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Administrator
13,446 Posts
The 2x4 and 4x4 wheel kits differ slightly. The wheel supplied is the same as are most of the storage boxes. The floor itself differs, the 2x4 stores much of its tool kit under the spare wheel. The 4x4 has a deeper in floor storage box and does not store anything under the wheel. Both wheels are normally stored with the dish facing down, although the 4x4 wheel can be flipped over but then the supplied boxes are not tall enough to support the secondary floor. This post shows the two factory fitted options, these are photographs from actual factory fitted spare wheel kits.

This is the 4x4 floor height This is the 2x4 floor height

This is the 2x4 floor height

This is the 4x4 wheel and boxes

This is the 2x4 wheel and boxes

This is the 4x4 sub floor

This is the 2x4 sub floor

This is the deeper 4x4 tool storage

This is the shallower 2x4 tool storage

Later diesel models with an AdBlue tank are different as the tank utilises the space previously used for tool storage.

Edited by: The Hood

Attachments

·
Registered
43 Posts
Thanks very much now I see . Will have one fitted when the new yeti arrives.
Only the yeti we are buying had already been manufactured .

·
Registered
43 Posts
As far as I gather you can .I need to get a spare wheel kit for a two wheel drive . But I think you can convert 4x4

·
Premium Member
4,847 Posts
stewart45 said:
do I gather from this thread that you can get a kit to convert a non sparewheel 4x4 into a spare wheeled one

Correct.
Several have done it, including me.

·
Registered
873 Posts
The hardest part is paying for it.
It comes in 2 parts;
a) Spare wheel/tyre, balanced. 5L0601011C, same for both 4WD & 2WDb) Boot floor, storage boxes, tool kit, Instructions (insultingly easy)
2WD 5L0071108A
4x4 5L0071108

·
Registered
786 Posts
I just bought the spare wheel and cut a sheet of ply to act as the boot board. I used the original boot mat as a template to cut the ply. I find that the numberous pairs of wellies and other outdoor gear support the sides enough...

·
Premium Member
4,847 Posts
stewart45 said:
can anybody who's do it give a few tips

Remove boot carpet.
Remove old plastic bits.
Fit wheel retention device.
Fit new plastic bits around wheel.
Fit spare wheel.
Refit carpet.

It really is as simple as that!

I haven't bothered to fit anything inside the sunken box in the floor as I only keep the towbar hook in there.

·
Premium Member
4,935 Posts
Interestingly (at least for detail nerds like myself), on my 2x4 example the lower tool kit box containing jack, etc. looks exactly like the pictures above for the 4x4. Jack, tools,tow hook, etc. all in the sunken box below the spare. No separate wheel well foam tool holder as in the 2x4 photos.
Not having owned the Yeti from new I have no idea ifthe kitwas supplied prior to initial delivery or afterwards. Being a bit of an oddball myself however, it is quite appropriate that "our" Yeti should be slightly odd too?

Pre-FL 2010 Yeti S+ CR110 diesel. Definitely no propshaft or rear diff! Unless someone nicked those prior to our purchase?

·
Administrator
4,561 Posts
I think the difference is likely more to do with the 2X4 being a 1.2tsi where the exhaust pipe position prevents the deeper box in the boot. I wonder if a diesel 2X4 has the deeper box and so doesn't need the storage box that fits under the spare?

·
Premium Member
4,935 Posts
That could well be the answer Snowgood!

·
Premium Member
4,935 Posts
Urrell said:
Flintstone said:
Being a bit of an oddball myself however, it is quite appropriate that "our" Yeti should be slightly odd too?
Do you have a removable drivers floor panel?

Not in the Yeti!
But the 998cc original Mini Cooper I had for 8 years did have! Or at least a floor panel that was in danger of removing itself. Until a mate who was learning how to use his new (at the time) MIG welder helped me weld in some new outer sills that went right through to the centre tunnel. Almost an entire new floor panel made from 18 guage galvanised. Car lasted another four years after that!
Prior to the fix it was a very "Yabba dabba doo" car!

·
Registered
18 Posts
After studying the pics and explanation by Hood, would I be right in thinking that the only difference between the 2x4 spare wheel kit and the 4x4 spare wheel kit is the ob-round under-wheel polystyrene jack and tool storage piece ? If you bought a 2x4 spare wheel kit and wanted to fit it to a 4x4 model then you would take the tools out of the ob-round storage piece and fit them in the original in-boot deeper storage box, fit the wheel retainer and wheel, polystyrene boxes round the wheel, fit the new boot floor and the job is done. Throw the not used ob-round bit in the bin and all is good
Edited by: JohnYeti

·
Premium Member
4,847 Posts
Yes, sort of John.I have a 4x4 model with a full spare wheel kit bought from another 4x4 owner.
All my tools are fitted in the round plastic bit that fits under the wheel.
My towball goes in the box on it's own.
The previous plastic moulding that was in the box is now in the loft with the rest of the plastic fittings.

·
Registered
18 Posts
So the 4x4 kit does have an ob-round polystyrene part under the wheel for the tools ? This is not shown in Hoods pictures ? Is this where the tools are kept, or in the in-floor deeper storage box ? Hood says they are in the deep storage box, not under the wheel.

Can someone who bought a new Yeti with spare wheel kit fitted at the factory confirm where the tools are, either in the deeper storage box or in an ob-round holder that sits on the boot floor under the spare wheel. People looking to buy a spare wheel kit to retro-fit to their 4x2 or 4x4 are understandably confused with the conflicting information !Edited by: JohnYeti

·
Registered
703 Posts
My Yeti was a showroom model, only had 15 miles on the clock when purchased.
Was told by the dealer that the spare wheel etc.was factory fitted.
My 4x4 has the tools in the deep box next to the spare wheel.

1 - 20 of 88 Posts