Yeti Owners Club banner

61 - 80 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
830 Posts
Mega is another cloud storage that uses HTTPS, and with them you get 50gb free of charge and your files/photos etc are encrypted. I have used them for several years Mega 50gb

If you need pictures added after the one hour deadline Snowgood and myself can do it for you.
Thank you. Mega looks rather interesting. :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi

I have had my 4x4 boot converted at the dealership with a spare wheel, tools and a new piece of carpet. Today we took the carpet off to look at the tools and the below wheel area and unbelievably we cannot re fix to carpet to lie flat at the area alongside the back seats. We cannot see where the folded bit at the back actually should go. We have tried tucking it down in between the back of the boot and the seats but it will not lie flat. ?

·
Registered
830 Posts
The folded bit should go where you have tried tucking it down in between the back of the boot and the seats. But it should be secured with screws and large flat plastic nuts to the face of the left and right polystyrene boxes. You should be able to see the holes in the carpet flap and in the polystyrene boxes.

It would seem that your dealer did not do a proper job.

You might also want to check that the LH polystrene box and the front RH one are secured to the boot floor with large flat plastic nuts, the same as the one shown in the picture below. There are small studs in the boot floor for this purpose.

·
Registered
830 Posts
I've taken a couple of pictures of mine and the fasteners are identified with red arrows.

With the RH seat down the first pic shows the screw head.

With the RH boot floor flap up the plastic nut inside the polystyrene box is visible.

When correctly installed the boot floor has a small upstand where it meets the rear seats.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,847 Posts
That looks exactly the same as mine, and the upstand doesn't collapse or fold down.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Thanks so much for the instructions and photos too. I take from this that the carpet should not easily pull out as it did today.
I will check it out tomorrow.
I saw one plastic fixing lying loose in one of the boxes and wondered what it was for.
Hoping to have a nice flat carpet tomorrow. Thanks again

·
Registered
28 Posts
Thanks for your confirmation too. Much appreciated.

·
Registered
830 Posts
I take from this that the carpet should not easily pull out as it did today.
I will check it out tomorrow.
No, it should not pull out. The boot floor should hinge at the upstand. You can flip the hooks on the side bar to support it in the UP position.

Let us know how you get on.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Folks - first post :)

I've a 2015 Yeti 4x4 with 225/50/17 wheels - and no spare. I bought it last year and it's been great. Unfortunately yesterday I got a puncture and found out just how useless the repair kits are. Harrowing experience I don't want to repeat. I'm not too fussed about getting the full kit but I would now like a spare wheel and jack.

Can anyone recommend how to proceed please?
Wheel size (will 16" go over the brake calipers for example?)
Places to purchase (call to Dealer?)

Many Thanks !

·
Premium Member
4,847 Posts
Hi Folks - first post :)

I've a 2015 Yeti 4x4 with 225/50/17 wheels - and no spare. I bought it last year and it's been great. Unfortunately yesterday I got a puncture and found out just how useless the repair kits are. Harrowing experience I don't want to repeat. I'm not too fussed about getting the full kit but I would now like a spare wheel and jack.

Can anyone recommend how to proceed please?
Wheel size (will 16" go over the brake calipers for example?)
Places to purchase (call to Dealer?)

Many Thanks !
Welcome.
The standard spare wheel for the Yeti, even those equipped with 17" wheels, is a 16" steel wheel with a 195/60r16 tyre. That is the same wheel and tyre ftted to the poverty spec models.
They are available from dealers, but can also often be found on Gumtree, Ebay or even here. If on Ebay do NOT buy the silly skinny ones that as advertised as suitable as they are not an approved fitment. It is also useful buying the plastic boxes that fit around the wheel as these support the carpet over the wheel when fitted in the boot.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Bryetian, I like the idea of using the hooks to support the carpet.
I did not manage to fix the boot carpet as dealer did not supply any fastenings when he reconfigured my boot for a spare wheel or even throw them in a box for me. So I will call them tomorrow for the essential bits and pieces and get them to do it properly and possibly seek my fuel costs for a wasted journey and wasted Saturday morning too. Might get servicing done elsewhere!

·
Registered
204 Posts
I've very recently had a similar experience to Wilko with my 2012 4x4. Got a flat and found the foam to be utterly useless. I've then spent the last couple of months searching for a spare and the kit for the boot. Dealerships ask for silly money for the spare, so thought I'd buy just the kit from them for £110 and buy a cheaper 2nd hand wheel - unfortunately the correct size spare for the Yeti is a right pain to find!
I ended up buying a new looking spare on Ebay for £100, and to top it off the really nice guy selling it had also made his own base to fit around the wheel and let me have that for free!
I'm pleased as punch with it... Especially as I've now noticed I seem to have a very slowly deflating new rear tyre, can't see anything sticking out of it so will have to get the valve checked out.

·
Premium Member
4,847 Posts
Considering that the relevant 16" wheel is a fairly common size across the whole of the VAG range, I'm surprised it was a pain to find one.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Bryetian

I have my boot carpet fastened properly at the dealer today. However ...........
This was of course my second journey to them to get it done. I telephoned to check they had the parts before heading off but when I got there they did not have them. But they finally found some fasteners and screws just as they were telling me they would have to order them in meaning I would need to come back for the third time. I insisted my petrol costs should be reinbursed and after further insistence they finally put £20 of petrol in my car. I do not take poor service lightly. Not sure I can trust them to do my car service!

·
Registered
830 Posts
I can see why you don't have much faith in that dealer. Fitting the spare wheel kit is a simple job; as is accurately indicating whether or not you have certain parts in stock.

Good result on the fuel costs though. :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Folks

A newbie question ...

Can Yeti Winter Wheels be used as a Spare?

lve just bought a 2016 1.2 TSI DSG Yeti on 17” alloys that has no spare, only the gloop.
I want to get the 2wd raised boot floor and also a set of winter tyres and wonder if one of these can be used as my spare?

Questions!
1.Winters seem to come in both 16” & 17” - would only 17” be safe?
2. I plan to buy the boot kit including jack etc with thin floor - would Winters make the floor too high? There seem to to views suggesting it’s either ‘too high’ or ‘just right.’

much appreciated!

pk

·
Administrator
13,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #77 (Edited)
The spare is 195/60/16 if you have a winter wheel/tyre why not put one in as a spare, then when you have the winters fitted carry a summer tyre as a spare.

However a couple of things to consider are, a spare wheel of a different size is marked to make it obvious and has a speed restriction as it is not the same size. If you have a winter/wheel tyre as a spare the tyre will almost certainly be directional so if the puncture is on the "wrong" side it will be spinning in the wrong direction.

If you put a 225/50/17 in as a spare it will be taller than the normal spare so the boot floor will be level with the sill of the hatch, also it will hold the boot floor above the storage boxes that normally support it, so you will need to add some packing.

·
Registered
95 Posts
If you buy the spare wheel kit from Skoda; it includes a spare wheel and tyre which fits correctly into the space under the floor. Full sized 16 or 17 wheels will raise the floor as Hood says.

·
Premium Member
4,935 Posts
PK,

Why not get yourself the proper, Skoda homologated spare wheel kit? The only difference between 2WD and 4WD kits is the shape of some of the lower tool storage boxes that sit below the spare wheel in cars that don't have Adblue. (Yours is petrol so won't have Adblue!). See several of the photos earlier in this thread. The spare wheel & tyre itself is the same for all Yeti types and road wheel sizes.

The homologated spare for all types is actually a 16" diameter steel wheel with a 195/60 tyre. (As The Hood said in post #77 after editing to correct a typo :)). That is the size of spare that is deemed "safe" for a Yeti. believe it or not. DO NOT be tempted to buy a "space saver", ultra skinny wheel & tyre. Those are not homologated for the Yeti.

Road wheels (usually alloys) can be either:
- 16" wheels with 215/60 rubber.
- or 17" wheels with 225/50 lower profile tyres that also give a harsher ride.

All three sizes are deemed close enough in overall diameter and rolling circumference to be safe. Due to the difference in tyre sidewall height compensating for the difference in wheel diameter.

Winter vs summer tyre of the same size would make no difference to how the spare fits in the boot.

As mentioned in earlier posts in this thread though, the boxes that sit either side of the spare are built to come the same height as the 195 spare, when that is laid flat in the boot. Those boxes also help to support the false floor and keep it flat. and give a false floor height that comes just slightly lower than the boot loading sill / cross-member.

If you were to use either a 215/60 x 16" road wheel & tyre as a spare, or a 225/50 x 17" road wheel & tyre, then both those would result in a false floor that sat slightly higher, just above the height of the boot loading sill or cross-member. Those two sizes would also need the stowage boxes either side of the spare wheel in laid flat position, to be raised using a suitable depth of packing material. Otherwise the false floor would tend to wobble from side to side if supported only by the wheel and tyre.

·
Premium Member
4,935 Posts
If you buy the spare wheel kit from Skoda; it includes a spare wheel and tyre which fits correctly into the space between the real boot floor and the false floor that comes as part of the kit .
You don't have pay through the nose for those from a Skoda dealer though. Many dealers have also run out stock of kits, now that the Yeti has been out of production for two years. Although some other dealers like Caffyns in Kent who do extensive parts sales online, did have a few kits left recently.

There are plenty of official Skoda kits in good as new condition available from private sellers and breakers via Ebay or Gumtree. Often salvaged from crashed and written off Yeti, etc. From time to time, members in here also have kits For Sale.

61 - 80 of 88 Posts