Yeti Owners Club banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently I had a bulb warning light for the 3rd brake light, so I set to and stripped out the tailgate panels.
I took out the LED unit and it appeared OK. I then noticed the boot light had not come on, checked bulb which was OK.
A lot of Googling, could be boot lock, also then noticed dash display did not show boot open, fiddled with emergency release and somehow managed to get working (maybe lack of use during lockdown). So now dash display shows boot open and boot light comes on, great! back to original problem of 3rd brakelight. Tested for voltage with boot open and better half standing on brake pedal. Both rear cluster lights lit up but no voltage at LED connector.
Reconnected LED as we had to drive for Booster jabs. 3rd brake light working!!!
Left lining panels out for a few days and all continued to work.
Started to replace linings, opened boot, I'll just test brake lights again, 3rd light did not come on with boot open.
Shut boot and all worked again. , apparently if the boot is open things are disconnected.
Other thing we did notice in hindsight, for quite a while the alarm would go off when the boot was opened and we were loading. Just used the remote to silence.
All this makes logical sense if the car was not registering that the boot was open/closed due to lock fault or it thought open was closed and closed open.
Anyway happy ending, all working
Just thought this may help anyone baffled by 3rd brake light problems

·
Premium Member
Yeti Outdoor 2017 SE L 2.0TDi 150 4x4 Manual
7,449 Posts
12Plate12 - you may also want to check for possible frayed or cracked insulation among the individual wires that run through the trunking between the tailgate and the body frame, up near the hinges. There is potential for a cracked wire (or two?) to make contact when the boot is closed, but pull apart when the boot is open?

I do however need to check one of my Yetis if the high level brake light not working when the boot is open thing, is a design feature or not? Could be? A distant memory cell is ringing? This may be correct behaviour?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Hi and welcome.
For future reference the windscreen wipers don't operate with the bonnet open.
Stat Safe

·
Premium Member
Kia Niro HEV2 and MG Midget
5,874 Posts
If the rear hatch was open the rear wiper and rear screen wash didn't work on both of mine

Reactions: Flintstone

·
Premium Member
2015 Elegance Greenline II
7,023 Posts
My Yeti's 3rd brake light works when the hatch is open.

·
Registered
627 Posts
I'd be surprised if any car needs the boot to be closed for the centre stop lamp to work.
If the boot position sensor were to fail in the "open" position, then the centre stop lamp wouldn't work even if the boot were closed. I see that as a safety issue.

But given the bonnet/wipers interlock gives another safety issue, maybe I shouldn't be surprised.

In the case of the wipers, I'd like to see the DFMEA justification for potentially disabling a primary safety system.
Perhaps the switches are designed in a failsafe manner.

·
Premium Member
4,824 Posts
Hi and welcome.
For future reference the windscreen wipers don't operate with the bonnet open.
Stat Safe
That's to prevent the wipers hitting the bonnet - there is a parking position for the wipers: blip the wiper switch just after switching off the ignition and they will park vertically.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts