Yeti Owners Club banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Looking to return to the Yeti fold! This time a 4x4

We've just purchased a small boat (rib, 5m) - and some of our local launches require beach driving/rock slips.

I'd imagine the 4x4 could handle okay, if the sand isn't too deep?

Any experience from 4x4 owners on here?

Many thanks

Scott

·
Registered
Yeti 2017 2.0TDi 4x4 L&K
386 Posts
The 4x4 system is pretty good for a part time system. Getting one with the "Off Road" button will help.

At the end of the day it will be all down to the tyres.

Reactions: Flintstone

·
Administrator
15,576 Posts
It depends how soft the sand/mud is, lack of ribbed tyres could make things difficult, but firm sand and a careful foot would work.
Brings back memories of Burnham on sea, a car parked on the beach and sunk into the mud, a tow truck went to rescue it, the car and the truck were recovered the next day at low tide by a JCB.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Hi All,

Looking to return to the Yeti fold! This time a 4x4

We've just purchased a small boat (rib, 5m) - and some of our local launches require beach driving/rock slips.

I'd imagine the 4x4 could handle okay, if the sand isn't too deep?

Any experience from 4x4 owners on here?

Many thanks

Scott
I bought my Yeti at just over two years old. It had been a lease vehicle. By the traces of sand and glitter around, the previous owner had obviously taken the kids onto a beach at least once.

The amount of surface corrosion on the undersides was considerable and I have only just about got on top of it all. If I was you, I wouldn’t go anywhere near salt water unless you were prepared to get underneath and hose down every single nook and cranny with fresh water.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hello Scott,
Do you have previous experience of launching and recovering boats?
And towing in general? Towing can be a regulatory minefield, especially if you passed your driving test after 1997.

You say you already have the boat, so I recommend spending a few quid at your local weighbridge, getting a ticket printed showing the weight of your boat and trailer.
Remember to include (or account for) fuel, anchor and chain, ropes, etc.

Once you know the weight, you can shortlist the cars that can legally tow your boat, bearing in mind the vehicle towing capacity, and any licence restrictions, plated weight of the trailer, etc.

Given your intended use, I would say a 4WD vehicle would be a very good idea. So that should narrow the list further.
I have first-hand experience of recovering boats with FWD, RWD and 4WD vehicles. The latter is most definitely my preferred option!

Perhaps you could spend some time at your intended launch site(s) to see what vehicles other people are using, and whether or not the whole process looks to be in control. You do see some sights at public slipways!

·
Premium Member
6,474 Posts
If a Yeti 4x4 before towing boat to launch or recover make sure the 4x4 is working on all 4 wheels, if the Haldex coupling has not had the necessary oil and filter change or screen cleaned the rear wheels may not drive and to be left on a slipway with the wheels spinning and a rising tide is not the place to find out.

·
Registered
68 Posts
No experience myself but my old boss who introduced me to the Yeti (thanks Jane!) keeps a boat up in the Highlands. She & her husband initially bought a 2L 170 4x4 Yeti to tow their boat down to the water. Ran that Yeti for 6yrs then upgraded to a new Yeti, again a 4x4. Often said the Yeti was ideal for the job.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts