Yeti Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I have a 2013 1.6 Elegance. It has served me well and now I’m thinking of changing. I am going to be doing regular trips from London to Scotland and want to feel secure in any weather. I’m thinking about a 2.0 litre Elegance 4x4. I’m looking for advice/opinions. Will the 4x4 be better in winter weather/heavy rain or should I think about winter tyres instead?
Thanks.

·
Premium Member
5,866 Posts
The 4x2 on winter tyres will cope better with bad conditions than the 4x4 on normal summer tyres.

Reactions: Flintstone

·
Registered
250 Posts
I have a 2L 4 x 4 with Cross-Climate + all season tyres which is a good combination.

·
Administrator
14,595 Posts
Hello. I have a 2013 1.6 Elegance. It has served me well and now I’m thinking of changing. I am going to be doing regular trips from London to Scotland and want to feel secure in any weather. I’m thinking about a 2.0 litre Elegance 4x4. I’m looking for advice/opinions. Will the 4x4 be better in winter weather/heavy rain or should I think about winter tyres instead?Thanks.
In the summer to flat areas of southern Scotland 2x4, depths of winter to the highlands 4x4 with all season or winter tyres. It all depends on whereabouts and when you go to Scotland, in the depths of winter to the highlands with a 2x4 on all season tyres you should be O.K., in a 4x4 with all season tyres you will be O.K.
All answers assuming that you do not travel in extreme conditions.

·
Premium Member
1,618 Posts
My first 2wd Yeti was hopeless on snow and couldn't move on my estate after about 4” of snow. Very embarrassing with the taxi stuck behind wanting to get past. Wide wheels and snow just didn't mix.
I am sure a 2wd on winter tyres would have kept moving. Last Yeti was a 4x4 and I had a set of winter tyres as well and it was excellent. Only trouble is that the roads are always blocked ahead by other cars or lorries on unsuitable tyres anyway. Was stuck on M1 for 4 hours once even though I could get traction.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My first 2wd Yeti was hopeless on snow and couldn't move on my estate after about 4” of snow. Very embarrassing with the taxi stuck behind wanting to get past. Wide wheels and snow just didn't mix.
I am sure a 2wd on winter tyres would have kept moving. Last Yeti was a 4x4 and I had a set of winter tyres as well and it was excellent. Only trouble is that the roads are always blocked ahead by other cars or lorries on unsuitable tyres anyway. Was stuck on M1 for 4 hours once even though I could get traction.
Thank you so much. I’m going to have a look around and see what’s for sale.

·
Registered
519 Posts
I have a 4x4 running on Michelin cross climates. I'm in the south Wales valleys, so mostly rain with icy winters and 3 days of snow. My parents are up in the posh green bits near Manchester, so visiting them in the winter means I can wake up to 3 inches of snow in which to start my journey home. My Yeti takes it all in it's stride.
So to the down side.
Allow £120 - £150 for a Haldex service every 30,000 miles.
Your fuel consumption may be slightly higher, though I average 45+mpg (calculated) so not too severe.
Nothing else of note.

Reactions: Jet

·
Registered
181 Posts
From memory, I think the earlier 1.2 petrol Yetis did not have as sophisticated electronics which would not have helped.
Can’t remember the details though

·
Registered
441 Posts
The 4x2 on winter tyres will cope better with bad conditions than the 4x4 on normal summer tyres.
A 4x4 on all weather tyres has far better traction in snow than a 4x2 on winter tyres. You takes your choice. 🙂

·
Premium Member
5,866 Posts
A 4x4 on all weather tyres has far better traction in snow than a 4x2 on winter tyres. You takes your choice. 🙂
Yes it would, but you missed the point I was making.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you so much. I’m going to have a look around and see what’s for sale.
I think I’m going to look for a 4x4 Elegance. Seems like the best thing given where I’ll be driving. Thanks for replying.
Okay...

·
Registered
441 Posts
I wasn’t disagreeing with you. You often see the true point you made on here but it is not a complete or balanced argument. I don’t think I have seen my point made on here before. To be fair to people who ask for advice on transmission/ tyre combinations, we should discuss the pros and cons of the whole subject and not just concentrate on the preferences of those who favour keeping two sets of wheels.

·
Premium Member
5,866 Posts
I would have thought it obvious that a 4x4 would have more forward traction than a 4x2 shod with similar tyres but many do not realise that a 4x2 will have more better traction in snow shod with winter or all season tyres than a 4x4 with summer tyres.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I would have thought it obvious that a 4x4 would have more forward traction than a 4x2 shod with similar tyres but many do not realise that a 4x2 will have more better traction in snow shod with winter or all season tyres than a 4x4 with summer tyres.
QED. 🙂

·
Premium Member
4,206 Posts
I don't want to repeat a comment I've made several times before in detail, but our 4x4 Yeti coped with everything on standard tyres in a training session at an off-road centre. On the very slippery and steep slopes, the advice was 'drive it as if you've stolen it' and that's how to work the Haldex traction on slopes.

Reactions: Llanigraham and Jet

·
Registered
178 Posts
I've had two 4x2's and a 4x4 Yeti.

In poor conditions the 4X4 just feels much more secure and it rides better as well.

Yes a FWD on winters is better than a 4x4 on summers in snow and ICE but I'd also add just stick a set of all seasons on a 4x4 and never worry whatever the conditions.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Would you say that all season tyres wear quicker than normal tyres? Im guessing they are softer so could wear quicker?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts