Yeti Owners Club banner

4x4 Tdi broken transfer case - probably

5K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  Ouboet 
#1 ·
Hi

I was looking forward to owning a Yeti. Got me a 2012 reg. Tdi 4x4 with 50 000 miles on the clock and enjoyed having and driving it, having purchased it just before lock down 2020. Not having gone off road at all yet and having clocked less than 1000 miles in it, it sadly and without warning broke down yesterday with what seems to be seriously broken parts inside the transfer case. At least that is what I, the AA roadside technician and the mechanics at Farmers Autocare in Edinburgh thinks.

1 - Is that a common problem with a Yeti 4x4? I assume not.

2 - Any advice on a reputable company to take the vehicle to to have the broken transfer case components repaired around Edinburgh? It is not something the typical repair garage works on. Even less so now during Covid lock down.

Cheers

#2 ·
Do you mean the Haldex unit at the rear of the car? It is not unknown for the rear diff to be drained of oil in error when trying to service the haldex by opening the wrong drain screw

Reactions: Ouboet
#3 ·
Welcome to the forum :)

Presume you are refering to the Haldex unit which transfers power to the rear wheels when needed. You don't describe just what sort of failure you have with this but it doesn't sounfd like the most common which is a pump failure caused by blocked filters but this is usually shows itself by an absence of 4-wheel drive. The haldex unit should have had an oil change at 3 year intervals, any record of this being done?

Reactions: Ouboet
#6 ·
Welcome to the forum :)

Presume you are refering to the Haldex unit which transfers power to the rear wheels when needed. You don't describe just what sort of failure you have with this but it doesn't sounfd like the most common which is a pump failure caused by blocked filters but this is usually shows itself by an absence of 4-wheel drive. The haldex unit should have had an oil change at 3 year intervals, any record of this being done?
Hi SnowGood.
Thanks for responding. No, I do not think it is to the rear. It is a from the front passenger side near the engine where a terrible creaking and clunking sound is coming from and it is as if the wheels are almost locked unable to move much forward or backwards. When I tried to push the vehicle it did not even want to move despite handbrake released and gears in neutral.

#4 ·
If you got it from a Dealer he is responsible for any fault that was present or developing for six months from the date of purchase. That is under your consumer rights, the onus is not on you to prove the fault was present, try and have a word with Citizens advice or Trading standards.

#7 ·
Hi The Hood.
Thank you for responding. I appreciate the advice. Originally from abroad so new to Citizens and consumer advice/standards help. I bought a year extra warranty as well. Just frustrating having had it flat-bedded (on a Sunday afternoon) to a closed Farmers to then be told on the Monday they do not work on 4x4 vehicle transfer case problems and now have to find a correct place to have it flat-bedded to again.

#9 ·
The two units to the rear of the engine and gearbox are the front differential and the angle drive or bevel box. Skoda use both terms to refer to the unit that turns the drive 90 degrees to connect to the prop shaft. Damage in either unit could cause the imobility and is a very unusual fault. The angle drive is bolted onto the differential so can be replaced separately depending on what has been damaged but the differential case and the gearbox case are one unit.

Farmers Autocare seem to be the equivalent to Kwikfit; a garage that does tyres, MOTs, brakes, batteries etc but not major work like engine, gearbox stuff.

In the first instance I would go back to where you bought it and see what help you get. The warranty might be useful depending on its terms and also note what The Hood has said about consumer rights. A Skoda main dealer would (should) be capable of this sort of repair but check whether the warranty has a cost limit on labour rates and if the Skoda rate exceeds that.

Text Line Parallel
Technical drawing Drawing Diagram Sketch Line
Diagram Text Technical drawing Line Design

#10 ·
Hi folks
Thanks for all the posts and advice. The dealer did end up collecting the vehicle and had the broken differential replaced under the warranty so with no further expense to me. Given Covid limitations it took a while to get everything done but after a couple of weeks at the mechanics I have my Yeti back and it is driving 100%.
Next mission is heading off on a camping holiday with the family, a wee trailer and a rooftop box.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.