Yeti Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. Thought I'd introduce myself... My name is David and we're about to buy our 1st ever VAG car as I think tomorrow we will be ordering a Yeti Elegance with a stack-load of extras.
Now what really confuses the **** out of me is why we're unable to buy the L&K model in the spec we want?

Considering it's the flagship model why is it that (in facelift form):
- you can't get the 170ps engine withDSG
- you can't spec the roof in a different colour
- the ONLY interior choice is BROWN leather

So instead, we're 98% ready to order the Elegance in Candy White with:
- black roof
- black alcantara interior
- amundsen sat nav
- 12 speaker pack (is this needed? The 8 speakers sounded bloody good in the demo car)
- spare wheel
- heated screen / washers
- picnic tables
- alu pedals
- mats
- mudflaps
- led lights
- partition screen
-MDI interface

Anyone got any thoughts/comments on this spec before we "press the button"?

1 last question... is it just us that thinks the facelift model has lost some of the charm & character of the original? Those round foglamps were one of it's most distinguishing features... just doesn't look right without them!

Hope to get to know you all a bit better in the near future!

·
Premium Member
1,325 Posts
Welcome David. In Australia we really don't get to choose our specs, so I'm glad to see that you have taken full advantage of that opportunity. I have 8 speakers and they are fantastic. I guess 12 would be better? Depends on the cost I guess. I also have mats (bought afterwards) and a spare wheel, but have no need for the heated windscreen over here! In fact getting the whole thing window tinted as my Xmas present!

I'm sure others will have opinions. Of course I prefer the look of the original, but you WILL love your new beast when you get it. The ride is sensational.
Suzz

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
Welcome David. That's a pretty comprehensive options list
. Your sure to enjoy your Yeti experience. As Suzz has said, probably floor mats are another option you might tick.

Edited by: plbxr

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
suzz said:
...In fact getting the whole thing window tinted as my Xmas present!
You'll love it Suzz. Tinting makes a significant difference.

·
Registered
760 Posts
G'day David, You sure have an extensive list of options. I do hope you enjoy every smiling mile in your new Yeti. Tinted windows, plus a 100mm strip across the top of the windscreen, floor mats and mudflaps are standard for me from the very start with any vehicle. I also have the spare wheel, door sill protectors, tray under the passenger seat and roof spectacle holder. I have also upgraded the headlight bulbs.

Happy trails,

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi Dave, you sure are going to enjoy that new Yeti of yours. Candy White looks great, my fav as well. I tend to agree with you, I love the shape and lines of the Yeti, my opinion is loses it's "quirkiness" without those round front foglights, but it would still be my 1st choice car!!.

·
Administrator
13,075 Posts
137699 said:
Hi guys. Thought I'd introduce myself... My name is David and we're about to buy our 1st ever VAG car as I think tomorrow we will be ordering a Yeti Elegance with a stack-load of extrasDIV]1 last question... is it just us that thinks the facelift model has lost some of the charm & character of the original? Those round foglamps were one of it's most distinguishing features... just doesn't look right without them!

Welcome to the forum, I am sure you will enjoy your new beast whatever it's face looks like. Underneath it will still be a Yeti, just wearing a different frock. I don't have it fitted, but if I were you I would cancel the sat nav and buy a Tom Tom. With the money you save you could buy even more extra's. A Tom Tom is just as good (maybe better) far cheaper, easier to update and can be used in more than one car.

Now I've ruffled a few feathers about the sat nav, I agree the "classic" Tonka Toy has far more character than the new "beige" look, who knows facelift two could be a magnolia interior and exterior?

Edited by: The Hood

·
Premium Member
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone for your welcome. @The Hood, we have 2 tomtoms in the family already, and have TomTom on the iPhone, but I am adverse to wires on the dash so with our other cars I have disassembled the interior so as to be able to tuck all the wires behind the fascia and wire into the back of the power feeds.
The Yeti will be bought on PCP so I wouldn't feel comfortable going to such lengths, plus having the nav upgrade makes the car more saleable should we choose to buy it outright at the end of the PCP (which we expect to as we would hope to have decent equity in it).

The Smax it's replacing has factory nav - so it seems sensible to replace with the same.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Welcome to the forum David. Probably done the deal by now but, for what its worth I don't like the SatNav where it is in the Yeti, I always have it at eye level near the doorpillar. The wire is a bit of a pita but as we don't use SatNav very often it's just not an issue.Whatever, hope your wait isn't too long, and it will be interesting to hear your comments Smax v Yeti.
Cheers, H.

·
Administrator
13,075 Posts
I use a goose neck mount on the TomTom and position it on the lid in the middle of the dash (no circles on the windscreen). Then the screen is easily visible to the driver and passenger without blocking sight of the road. The wire just drapes down the side of the centre consul on the passenger side and into the socket between the seats.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Hi Dave, good to hear from another recent convert to Yetism (new boy myself) I have to agree with the hood, that is hot I run my satnav, but mine is a rather ancient Navman as I rarely use mine (SWMBO uses it most) As mine is also a contract vehicle, I am loathe to fiddle with wiring etc, so I have a pad on top of the central cubby which is great, it never slips or loses the grip on satnav. You have probably ordered by now, but if not, try fitting your own mudflaps and buy the original ones on line from a few sources in Southern Ireland - they are easy to fit, and a lot cheaper than dealer ones (unless you managed to get them thrown in)

·
Registered
471 Posts
137699 said:
Hi guys. Thought I'd introduce myself... My name is David and we're about to buy our 1st ever VAG car as I think tomorrow we will be ordering a Yeti Elegance with a stack-load of extras.Now what really confuses the **** out of me is why we're unable to buy the L&K model in the spec we want?
Considering it's the flagship model why is it that (in facelift form):
- you can't get the 170ps engine withDSG
- you can't spec the roof in a different colour
- the ONLY interior choice is BROWN leather

So instead, we're 98% ready to order the Elegance in Candy White with:
Hi David
Welcome to YETI world.
Shame you didn't give us all a bit more time to help you prior to you ordering - not to worry.
I was going to order a L&K but disliked brown leather etc etc & have now ordered an Elegance see spec below.
Sat Nav is a bit low on the dash - have a look 1st. I have also specced Tyre pressure monitors & if you were going L&K a Panoramic sun roof would bring you up to spec.( if you like them!) I agree that Candy white is a great choice! Let us all know your final spec.
PS. I take it that you are going for the Outdoor model?

Edited by: JOOKS

·
Registered
267 Posts
White is enough for me to like your new motor.All the gizmo's I have rarely get used,just drive n enjoy.Have several bit's that after a year I have only just found thank's to the forum.My point is that if after a year's ownership I hadn't had a need for em are they really necessary.In the Uk I can see the need for the heated screen n mirror's but what else could you really not do without (in the way of gizmo's I mean ).I shall now retire and await my re- education.Or am I just very easily pleased ??

·
Premium Member
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well the order is not yet placed. Not for the want of trying but apparently their finance calculator crashed and that coupled with the lack of sales manager to "approve" the deal we have requested means they're going to call us back tomorrow.
Yes indeed we're going for the Outdoor model and we have spec'd Panoramic roof also. Did consider the tyre pressure monitors but have heard of loads of issues with them (not Skoda's specifically, but tyre pressure monitors in general) and I figured I've survived 24 years & 500,000+ miles of driving without them so rather than suffer anguish of phantom warnings, I'd just live without the system entirely.

As the order has not officially been placed, I'm still open to suggestions.... I do hear what you're all saying about the NAV unit, but whether we use it or not, it will make the car so much more saleable in 3 years time that I'm going to keep it in spec.

I would be interested to hear of what people think about the MDI interface though... the 3.5mm jack is stupidly placed in my book so I thought having the MDI would make controlling my iPhone (for music)somewhat easier....?

·
Registered
266 Posts
Regarding the MDI, I had this in my previous Octavia and used it with my iPod. Very useful as you can control the iPod from the radio. It wasn't available on the Yeti when I ordered it in June 2012 so have to make do with the SD card. The only prblem I can see with the Yeti implementation is the location. the Octavia had the connector in the glove box allowing me to leave the iPod connected but doesn't the Yeti put the connector in the comaprtment in the centre console? Had it been available when I ordered the car I would have had it. You'll need the special cable to connect to your iPhone which can be expensive so try to get them included it the deal when you order your Yeti.
I've also had the tyre pressure monitor on the Yeti and the Octavia and I've found it does work. It doesn't tell you which tyre is low but makes you check the tyres.

See if you can get the cross bars included as well.

Keith

·
Registered
471 Posts
137699 said:
Well the order is not yet placed. Not for the want of trying but apparently their finance calculator crashed and that coupled with the lack of sales manager to "approve" the deal we have requested means they're going to call us back tomorrow.
Your YETI purchase.
One last thought but could be v important. £££££££££££££££!
I thought that I had a good deal until I called Carfile (there are others)they are internet brokers but most importantly you pay them no money & are put in touch with a UK dealer who supply the car. Speak to Jonathan Lawless(great name for a motor dealer!) & see what they can do - they gave me a quote immediately and it was a stonking deal.
Just a thought but what ever you do I am sure that apart from a rather long wait you will be happy with it.
JOOKS

·
Premium Member
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well the deed is done. I bought from Skoda dealer because the 0% finance deal coupled with 3 year free servicing is too good to miss. Added to that we managed to negotiate £1000 off the RRP and a full tank of Derv, plus guarantee it will be a "14" reg rather than taking anearlier build slot and missing it by a few days.
Just need to wish away the next 3 months!

Actually gives us time to get past xmas and find a buyer for the S-Max - which has been a bloody good car for us - the Yeti has a lot to live up to!

·
Registered
471 Posts
Congratulations, 137699 you have done the deed!What a great spec and I thought that I had gone mad! Like you I can't wait to get my hands on my new Snow Monster.
I am learning bit by bit about 4x4 systems, where to buy all manner of non-dealer add ons PLUS a fluffy Yeti - yes after a few days of waiting it does strange things to your brain!

·
Registered
786 Posts
TheMatterhorns are a great choice! I've got them on my Urban and love them. I also love my Amundsen+ SatNav. I know not everyone likes the built in units and I can see why. But its lovely to have everything built in, reversing indicator, temperature setting etc and not having to worry about hiding the TomTom...

You didn't go for the rear camera?Surelythe only thing left apart from the kitchen sink

1 - 20 of 56 Posts