Yeti Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drove about 8 miles to my sons house yesterday and in that distance saw four other Yeti's ( Yetii ), what is the collective for Yetisisis? Each and everyone of them was acknowledged by me, and each and everyone of them gave a blank look or just stared at their bonnet!!

One day hopefully, I will meet with a 'Forum Fellow', or fellowess and get a wave back!

A chap in a Fabia, in my colour, ( Brunello Rosso ) did wave at me though.

·
Administrator
13,683 Posts
HiI do exactly the same thing and have never had a response, my wife is starting to think I am mad. BUT one day some one will respond, I just hope it does not come as too much of a shook whilst I am driving. Most Yeti drivers seem to be in a trance when I flash or wave (Tech Yeti tells me off for flashing!)

·
Registered
786 Posts
According to a great site - How Many Left - there were 13,972 Yetis registered on UK roads in Q2 2012. That means that there is only 2% of the UK Yeti population registered on this site (I didn't factor in our foreign colleagues Banjobach, Jazz et al). We'll have to spread the word! I enjoy reading the technical bits as well as the general banter on the site - the other 13.5k+ owners don't know what they're missing (or maybe they do!
)

I too have waved, flashed and even mooned in an attempt to
get a response but to no avail. I think when I do I might veer off into the
ditch!
There is a grey Urban that regulary parks in the Asda that I shop at - maybe I'll leave a note under the wipers!

Edited by: discosteve

·
Registered
268 Posts
Well,having rambled on about never seeing another Yeti down here (Andalucia) today we passed one similar to our own and on flashing we received a return wave.It must be the sunshine.

·
Registered
17 Posts
My wife always like to park her Mini Cooper at the side of another Mini so they can talk. So you have a pal.

Personally I like to park apart from other vehicles to try to preserve the sides from people who cannot open their doors without writing off the car next door!

·
Registered
786 Posts
At a recent overnight stay in a car park with 100+ spaces and only 10 cars, I managed to find myself with a new neigbour in the morning. Everyone else managed to park at least one car space away, but oh no, not the Polo! What's wrong with these people, are they lonely? And for anyone who's interested, I think the classic car in the picture is an Alvis...

Oh, an this morning I found myself opposite a maroon (don't think is was Rosso Brunello) Yeti and waved like mad to to just a blank expression

·
Registered
17 Posts
About 25 years ago I bought a brand new Allegro (I know ....we all learn.....and then Skodas were considered dire by most). I parked it in the village library car park where there we no more than three other vehicles. A guy turns up next door to me gets out and whacks his door on mine. His reaction was that I was very lucky to have a new car and saw no issue in whacking it.

A year later the Allegro was traded for a Chrysler Sunbeam....10 days old .... a woman dents the rear wheel arch whilst I watched helplessly from 6 inches too far away.

My wife says I'm paranoid about parking where I think its safe.....but I hate anything to be damaged and I cannot understand how some people are so careless.

Below is a photo I took from my desk whilst I was working on my Tiguan parked in the widest bay in the whole car park and the fantastic parking of the Astra............

Edited by: 33q

·
Registered
786 Posts
My Urban was about two weeks old when it received it's first deep scratch along the rear passenger door in a car park. Luckily I managed to get a professional body work guy to remove it for the cost of a coffee.
At work we have two car parks and one is always full (the one near my office) and the other one has lots of spaces but is at the far end of the office - I always go to that one as people just don't seem care, especially as quite a few are company cars and will be replaced in three year's time. When its £17k of mine own money, I want to keep is a good as I can...

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have been away since I started this thread and have not kept up with replies. Part of my 'away' was a ferry to France. Just parked as instructed by ship staff when another car was parked alongside mine, back door of other car opens and, bang into mine. The driver got out and apologised saying 'tight in here isn't it' Not so tight we could not open our doors without hitting anything else!.

Anyway whilst driving between Le Touquet and Berck I waved to a French Yeti, driven by a young lady, who instantly waved back and with a big smile. Success!!

Merry christmas to anyone reading this..

·
Registered
786 Posts
Well at last it's happened! On the M40 on Saturday just gone we were over-taken by a silver or steel grey Yeti and there was enthusiastic waving from the lady passenger. We all waved back and there was much mutual
laughter
from all involved. If that was you, thanks - you made our weekend!

·
Registered
222 Posts
Saw a 12 reg bluish silver Yeti at 15:00 hrs today in the Rest Bay area of Porthcawl who readily reciprocated my wave. I can only assume that he must have been a biker at one time!!

·
Registered
28 Posts
igg said:
everyone of them gave a blank look or just stared at their bonnet!!

Yep! that's the response I get too.

It's an unfortunate fact that most people who buy a Yeti are buying a car. It suits their needs and gets them from A to B and that's it; whether it has Yeti or Yaris on the boot isn't an issue. They don't particularly share our enthusiasm for the Yeti or perhaps even realise there is an enthusiasm amongst some owners ( us! )

If we were driving around in Austin Sevens or Morgans I'm sure other owners would wave like mad but the Yeti is now a mainstream car and probably hardly noticed by "normal" people.

shanco said:
Saw a 12 reg bluish silver Yeti at 15:00 hrs today in the Rest Bay area of Porthcawl who readily reciprocated my wave. I can only assume that he must have been a biker at one time!!

I think this is dying a death too. At one time you could end up with a sore arm from giving a wave to oncoming motorcyclistson a Sunday afternoon but now they are travelling so fast I think they are frightened to take one arm off the handlebars!

Regards, Lee.

Edited by: frglee

·
Registered
786 Posts
frglee said:
igg said:
everyone of them gave a blank look or just stared at their bonnet!!

It suits their needs and gets them from A to B and that's it; whether it has Yeti or Yaris on the boot isn't an issue.

If we were driving around in Austin Sevens or Morgans I'm sure other owners would wave like mad but the Yeti is now a mainstream car and probably hardly noticed by "normal" people.

Regards, Lee.

I have a Yeti and a Yaris on my driveway!!

I also have a 20 year old Rover Mini Cabriolet (rare as hens' teeth now) but
Mini owners always wave or flash. I suppose it's a choice now rather than a car for
traveling to work and back. A new Mini once had the cheek to wave at me too!

·
Registered
266 Posts
I've regularly seen a red Yeti on my journey to work but it's always been too dark to see if the driver is waving or not. As the mornings get lighter I'll try waving and see if I get any response.

30 years ago when I had an Mk1 XR2,in black as is my Yeti, on seeing another XR2 lights flashed and a wave was often exchanged.

So if you see a black Yeti with a K plate driving around the South Bradford area flash or wave and I'll wave back.

Keith

·
Registered
28 Posts
discosteve said:
I also have a 20 year old Rover Mini Cabriolet (rare as hens' teeth now)

And that is the whole point. The Rover Mini Cabriolet is a rare car driven, presumably, by like-minded enthusiasts. The Yeti, though not two-a-penny is a modern car driven mainly by people to whom it is just a car. I didn't wave toother Astra owners when I had my Vauxhall Astra prior to buying my Yeti - miserable grouch!!

Sorry, I couldn't think of a car other than the Yaris that began with a Y

Keith: I seem to be travelling to Bradford and Halifax quite a lot lately taxiing my daughter to see friends ( she's only twenty three - poor little lamb
) I'll give you a wave if I see you out and about.

Regards, Lee.
Edited by: frglee

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
On our recent trip to the West Country we saw something like 25 other Yeti (s). A grand total of 2 waved back, but quite energetically. Also outside Maidstone hospital a couple of days ago I stopped momentarily next to, drivers door to drivers door, but facing the other direction across a central kerb another Yeti, smiled at the pilot and gave a thumbs up, which was instantly returned!! Result...

·
Registered
394 Posts
Having driven a Defender for a good few years and a Series II before that I'm used to certain LR owners waving, but being waved at by someone in a Yeti, dunno, it's not happened yet.
Might bemy silly grin puts others off...

1 - 20 of 41 Posts