Yeti Owners Club banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I looked at getting a Yeti in 2014 as at that time I needed a 4x4 but they were too pricey for me so I bought a Fiat Panda which served me well in the Shropshire hills.
Now I have relocated down south and traded it in for a 2017 petrol SE Drive Tsi.... no 4x4 needed now but a slightly bigger vehicle required. Back to plan A... YETI!
I'm looking forward to making use of all the wealth of knowledge here and pleased that the Yeti, though discontinued, still seems to be held in high regard.
Despite Lockdown I am enjoying the extra space and all round loveliness that is Yeti :), its been cleaned and polished....next thing I want to do is I update the Amundsen sat nav.
I am no techie so please be easy with me, I have been to the Skoda portal and its as clear as mud to me...I have however downloaded the latest map to my windows PC, can someone explain in "very!!!" simple steps how to update the SD card.
Do I need to buy an SD card or do you somehow update the original one?
Please treat me like an idiot, I dont mind!

·
Premium Member
5,370 Posts
Go to " Update portal " and insert your VIN.
Choose the map to down load.
It has to go on your original Skoda map SD card so best to back this up on your computer just in case.
When download is complete point it in the direction of your SD card, it will ask if you want it to format the card say yes and it will then unpack the new data onto the SD card.

·
Premium Member
1,465 Posts
Have they finally sorted out the errors on the Skoda map? Last time I updated I had to resort to using a 2016 Touran VW map To get one that worked properly.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It has to go on your original Skoda map SD card so best to back this up on your computer just in case.
When download is complete point it in the direction of your SD card, it will ask if you want it to format the card say yes and it will then unpack the new data onto the SD card.
Thanks I will have a go later, will be a bit scary when it asks if I want to format:eek:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok just a bit more help needed...I have downloaded the map from the portal and inserted my vehicle SD card into my pc...when you say point download in direction of SD card can you please tell me exactly the next step, I have tried "copy" but it's just saying there is not enough space and that I need additional card, its not saying "do you want to format"?
Sorry for being a bit thick, I rarely use my pc these days to save files etc?

·
Administrator
4,561 Posts
Welcome to the forum Symester :)

Just make sure you back up the existing files as Urrell suggests ( by copying them from the SD to your hard drive) There is a lot of data so may take a while. That way you can always copy them back if there is a problem with the update, though I have never had one, so far. The problem that Ken 3966 mentioned were map errors that some roads showed two different speed restrictions which was confusing, but there wan't any issue with the update process itself.

·
Premium Member
5,370 Posts
I have downloaded the map from the portal and inserted my vehicle SD card into my pc...when you say point download in direction of SD card can you please tell me exactly the next step, I have tried "copy" but it's just saying there is not enough space
Sounds like you have missed a step.
Did you make a copy and format the card before telling it where to copy the new data to?
PS: What version map did you choose?

The problem that Ken 3966 mentioned were map errors that some roads showed two different speed restrictions which was confusing
That problem has been sorted.

·
Administrator
4,561 Posts
You had already said it was resolved but I was just making sure Symester didn't think it was a problem with the update process. It was an error with the map data as you say.

Symeste- if you choose the option of Format it deletes all the old files and so makes the space you need on trhe SD card

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sounds like you have missed a step.
Did you make a copy and format the card before telling it where to copy the new data to?
PS: What version map did you choose?

Thanks for help so far, I copied the original files on the Skoda SD into a folder, I havent formatted the Skoda SD yet, I was scared that formatting it would mean it wouldnt be recognised when I put it back?
I guess it will stil recognise it when the new files are on there?

·
Premium Member
4,847 Posts
Yes it will recognise it.
There is a little bit of code on the card that you can't delete and is "recognised" by the new file.

·
Premium Member
5,370 Posts
When you have formatted the card download the new map and when it asks where the SD card is have it in the PC and it will unpack and copy files to it.
If you just save the downloaded new map to the PC you will need something like WinZip to unpack the files to the SD card so best to do it like above and it will do it all for you.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for advice, I have formatted the card and downloaded the map..ECE 1 2020... downloads didnt give me the option of saving to a certain location, just saved to my downloads folder so I have dragged folder to SD card location and its copying, (6.05 GB) says it's going to take about six hours, does that sound about right?

·
Administrator
4,561 Posts
Sounds possible but often the initial time given is greatly overstated, certainly the size is right.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts