Yeti Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hettie has just had her 2nd, 20,000ml. service at which I complained of a lack of cold from the air vents. Auto fan working a treat. I was told that a gas charge test is a 2 year service check, not covered by the service charge, or warranty, but at an extra £69. My previous Citroen was sold at 7years old with very efficient climate control and having never had any attention other than replacement filters. Hettie's climate control has never been as effective as the Citroen's. Any old how, when I collected the car after the service I found that she had been a complete refrigerant gas free zone!!,To his credit, the service manager thought that unreasonable, so regassed amd with leak detector at no charge. A return visit is due next week for a check.

Hey Ho!!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Skoda has a known fault with the air con unit on the Yeti. Due to the poor weather last year i had no need for a super chilled cabin but still used the AC at both cool and hot temperatures as i knew that lack of use was not good for the system. It was only during the last couple of months when the weather has been nice that i have had to put the temp right down. This was when i noticed that the air temp was no colder than when the air con was off " i tested it with a thermometer from the work". I contacted the Skoda garage i got the car from and was told the same " the gas may have depleted and it was not covered under warranty or service plan" i then asked if this should not have been noticed during the 1st service which was only 1 month earlier "no" was the reply followed with "the manufacture recommends that the gas be renewed every 2 years and we could do this for £69 plus vat" a bit expensive i thought when the local tyre fitters advertise it for under £50 and with many deals on the go you could probably get it for less. The fact that really bothered me was that the dealer asked for my registration and had my details on the computer so they knew the Yeti was only 1 year old but he was still sticking to his manufacture recommendation of re gassing after 2 years and also what did they check at the service ? even my small back street garage i used to go to checked the air con at a basic service when they looked over my old car .None the less I agreed to take the yeti in for the re-gas but had absolutely no intention of paying for something that should not have occurred for at least another year. I decided to wait whilst they checked the system, they pump in a red gas prior to filling to check for leaks and they found out the system was knackered ! i have my doubts if it ever worked ! it was then that the service chap told me that this was a documented fault that skoda are aware of and has sent out a memo to the fact to all its garages, i was told it was a big job with the front end being removed to allow access so booked in and job now done with a temp even a polar bear would be proud of, But a poor show from skoda and the garage with their excuses!

·
Registered
10 Posts
The air con on my 140 diesel packed in recently. Took it to local dealer this week who regassed it for £40 (apparently there is a special offer on). The car is 2 1/2 years old and has done 18,000. Now working fine in the current hot weather. Was told that air con needs servicing every 2 years. We have been warned !

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
Someone else here on the forum recently had their aircon condenser and compressor replaced due to a leak. They posted a photo showing what may have been a crack in the condenser. The problems all seem to be occuring in the 2 litre diesel model.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Brien B said:
Skoda has a known fault with the air con unit on the Yeti.

Hi Brien B, is there an official source for this quote? if so, where and what?

Cheers

Tim

·
Registered
36 Posts
plbxr said:
Someone else here on the forum recently had their aircon condenser and compressor replaced due to a leak. They posted a photo showing what may have been a crack in the condenser. The problems all seem to be occuring in the 2 litre diesel model.

Surely the aircon system would be the same on all engine variants.

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
As far as the condenser is concerned, then yes that is correct. It's just that all the problems being talked about seem to be with the 2 litre TDI model. I haven't noticed any 1.2 TSI owners saying they are having problems...yet. It could just be a batch problem with those suspect condensers, that ended up being put onto a build run of 2 litre TDI's. Only time will tell.

·
Registered
99 Posts
May be a VW thing. Recently traded in my Golf for my new Yeti. At it's 2 year (actual 16000 mile) service the Golf dealer wanted to service the air con. My previous Freelander was traded at 4 years and 47k miles without system ever being touched. Not really happy if system in VAG cars is not long lived.

·
Administrator
4,436 Posts
I think VAG recommend a two years interval on air con service across their makes. Land Rover seem to suggest every three years. Main thing with any system is that you use it regularly throughout the year to keep the seals lubricated. Recommendations are that even in winter you use it for at least half an hour a week.

·
Premium Member
4,717 Posts
Land Rovers (FL, Disco, RR) automatically switch the air con on when you put the heater/air distrib to full screen, even when the temp is below 5 in the winter. I have a feeling the Yeti one does too.

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
Grumpy said:
May be a VW thing. Recently traded in my Golf for my new Yeti. At it's 2 year (actual 16000 mile) service the Golf dealer wanted to service the air con. My previous Freelander was traded at 4 years and 47k miles without system ever being touched. Not really happy if system in VAG cars is not long lived.
Surprise!...Surprise!...Surprise!

I had a look and the a/c condenser on the Golf and the Yeti have the same part number!!!!!
1 KO 820 411 Q
The Yeti and the Golf seem to share a LOT of common parts but the a/c condenser was definitely an unexpected one.

Edited by: plbxr

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hettie the Yeti has been back to have the aircon gas charge rechecked. No leaks were found and the charge found to be correct. Hettie now leaves a 'wee' patch on the ground when left a while. The service chappie reminded me that I should have paid £69 for the regas, but that I had struck lucky and got it free.I should think so, losing the whole correct charge in less than 2 years somehow doesn't ring true. Any old how It gets cold inside now..

·
Registered
44 Posts
Well, 13 days into our Yeti experience and the first problem. Mrs. S. summoned me to the car when she got home today to listen to an odd sound, obviously I feared the worst. It turns out that she could hear a hissing through the vents, I immediately recognised it as an AC sound, so I turned it onto economy and the hissing disappeared.

The thing is that I bought the car, a 2010MY 2.0tdi 64k, with a three month (only) warranty from the supplying non franchise but large independent dealer.

My issue is this, it could simply be that the car is out of gas, but it could also be, after researching the subject on Google, an expensive leak, faulty condenser or compressor. I have a mobile mechanic visiting tomorrow to renew the ARB bushes on my old Golf, my plan is to ask his advice, diagnosis and hopefully do a leak test because I don't want to take the car back to the dealer simply to be told that it needs a relatively inexpensive recharge when the actual problem is a US condenser/compressor.

Does that sound like a sound plan of action guys?

·
Premium Member
1,141 Posts
Cars just don't lose AC gas. The gas gets less effective over time but the system is sealed and Gas should not escape.

The early 2009-2012 Yetis had weak condensor rads that are known to hole very easily. A revised part was out onto production models in 2013.

·
Premium Member
2,460 Posts
Check the AC rad by looking through the front grill and see if the right hand side has a oily look, my last one was built around the same time as yours and had the AC rad split, it was a fault in the manufacture of the rad for a while. If it is a leak from there then I would talk to a Skoda dealer for a good will gesture from Skoda.

·
Premium Member
5,192 Posts
Regarding those that require re-gassing or suggested a service every 2 years.

My 2005 9½ year old Fabia has never been re-gassed and works as well now as when it was new.

I have used these a couple of times to get rid of any bugs out of the system

Edited by: Urrell

1 - 20 of 34 Posts