Yeti Owners Club banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a "lockdown" job I began an overdue clean of the engine compartment today. During this I found that the top of the air intake plenum is only clipped lightly in place, suggesting that it might be a part one should remove for inspection of the chamber itself. As there are no moving parts in the plenum I was left puzzled. Any ideas why the top is so easily removable or indeed what, if anything, is intended to be inspected?

·
Premium Member
4,929 Posts
What part are you considering the air intake plenum?

On the Diesel engine, the inlet plenum part of the manifold is a large triangular plastic casting that is bolted very firmly to the cylinder head and has loads of plumbing, controls, pipes sensors and connections bolted to the top of it. It’s sits downstream from the intercooler and throttle body. Upstream from the inlet valves.

There is an air-water separator just behind the bonnet slam panel. Upper left front part of the compartment from the car’s perspective. Mid-upper right as you stand in front of the car looking in. Between the back of the radiator and the back of the left headlight. That is black plastic. Smooth top surface to its domed shaped lid. About 12-15 Cm long by 5-6cm wide. Tapers slightly to on end. First thing in the inlet plumbing upstream from the air filter housing. That has a loose fitting lid that just clips in place. (Mine is actually held by a couple of cable ties, after I broke one of the clips removing the whole separator to gain better access to the main coolant rad a few years ago, but that’s not the point.)

Could that be the part you’re looking at? If so, that is just a separator. Included because of the Yeti’s semi off-road capabilities (or 110% properly well off-road in The Hood and Llanigraham’s cases :) ). It’s purpose to help stop water reaching the air filter, when the car is being driven in deep water or a monsoon. So a bow-wave coming up to or over bonnet lip height, doesn’t result in water reaching the filter. It has some clever channeling inside to separate the air and water. Not particularly important that it’s lid is firmly attached. A loose fit is just fine.

I suspect it’s designers meant it to be removable, so you could clear dead leaves, etc. But the clips are way too brittle to do that more than once. Besides, leaves and stuff seem to collect under the air filter anyway.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Flintstone. Yes it is the air - water separator that I'm referring to. Your explanation of the chamber possibly catching debris is plausible. Graham and Mr Hood have you ever looked inside the chamber? (Be warned if you haven't but do, I too can attest the holding clips being brittle !)

·
Premium Member
4,837 Posts
I did once on the previous Yeti and it had a good coating of mud inside! Haven't bothered with this car,

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Most of us only get muddy boots if we go off road. Seems Graham has been in somewhat deeper !

So yet(i) again a "simply clever" design feature. Perhaps one for the" I didn't know it did that" thread"

·
Premium Member
4,837 Posts
I don't think it's paddling deeply as much as just how much crap is thrown up off the surface by the vehicle in front. Just think how often you have to wipe the screen following trucks on a mucky road.

The infamous picture of my previous Yeti in Hafren on WRGB, where you cannot tell what colour it is below window level, was because I had followed the Rally Rescue Ambulance for over 20 miles of forest stage in the rain, plus I'd previously driven the same stage checking as Safety Officer and the number of puddles that sprayed over the front of the car all adds to the rubbish that gets sucked in.

·
Premium Member
4,929 Posts
Has anyone ever checked how much water comes into the engine compartment while driving during a proper monsoon rainfall downpour? Or a real Florida thunderstorm?
Driving through the latter makes cleaning the engine bay with a power washer seem like drizzle :) By comparison.

·
Premium Member
4,837 Posts
I remember taking the previous Yeti into Sinclair's for a service not long after WRGB one year and warning them the under tray might be a bit "mucky". When we went back to collect the car they said they'd given the apprentice the job of taking it off and he'd got a face full of stones and mud.
They had to pressure wash it before they put it back on. Not sure what they did about the apprentice.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts