Yeti Owners Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, has anyone fitted alloy roof bars? I have alloy rails which have 5 allen key bolts, 2 at the front and 3 at the back on each side. So far the only roof bars I have seen clamp onto the rails rather than bolt on.

·
Premium Member
4,704 Posts
The proper Skoda Roof bars clamp onto those bolts and are very secure, plus they lock on so can't be stolen.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Hi RedYeti, did you make a decision about your roof bars? I am thinking about buying a set as I want to be ebale to but some bikes on top.

So has anyone fitted either the the genuine Skoda ones or any others? Thule seems to be the best make out there but I don't really want to buy Skoda or Thule if there are others out there that do the job at half the price!

I also have the alloy rails and not want them getting wrecked if the clamp on type damage them...

·
Administrator
13,046 Posts
I have got some Thule bars, I got a foot set and then the bars on eBay.
This enabled me to use the extras I had accumulated from my previous car. Not as pretty as the Skoda bars but far cheaper.
If you have time to wait, collect only items sell for lower prices and if you use this link you can set how far you are willing to travel.

http://www.localbargainfinder.com/

·
Registered
71 Posts
I've got the manufacturer's parts and they are very good.

There are some small screws which fit into the running bars on the roof and the cross bars line up with them and lock into place making for very quick and easy alignment.

I have a roof box which I tend to keep attached to the cross bars when not in use. I can drop it in place and be ready to go in 5 minutes!

·
Registered
3 Posts
"So has anyone fitted either the the genuine Skoda ones or any others? Thule seems to be the best make out there but I don't really want to buy Skoda or Thule if there are others out there that do the job at half the price! I also have the alloy rails and not want them getting wrecked if the clamp on type damage them..."

I mulled this over for quite some time and finally decided to try a set at half the price of Thule or Skoda ones. They are the metabo 1350mm dozer (from Italy retail here via MicksGarage spec and pictures/video there - I am in no way associated with this firm - amazon did do them cheaper but have recently hiked their price) these are a heavier model than that supplied by lidl and as said 1350 not 1200. As yet I have yet to use them in anger but I have fitted them and they appear fine and well rated at 90kg max. Also have T tracks for further expansion. I am not wanting to have them on permanently so it took me a little longer to set them up so that mounting and dismounting is fairly painless. Can follow up on this if you are interested in taking them further.
I have no doubt that the Skoda bars are the best you can buy (although Thule supporters may contest that) but I wanted a pair that "overshot" the bars so that tying off can be done using the bars only with minimal need to tension ties on roof bars - just personal preference. Also I have not alloy roof bars, black ones but all bracketing is rubber protected and have not marked mine but black on black wouldn't be easily seen, no scratching or marks seen as yet.
Hope this helps.
Peter

1 - 8 of 8 Posts