Yeti Owners Club banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Thanks Cubes, I though £20 would be reasonable but it’s worth whatever is prevailed to pay and if you don’t have one!
good point about the green line which ours is.
Pomemm… if you could help me out that would be totally awesome… however knowing you have something and even a semblance of where it is does not necessarily mean your able to find it!
I know a few times I’ve bought something again because I can’t find the one I have then misplaced that purchase to then find the original again.
best laid plans and all that hay…
thank you all.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Finally stopped persisting it down and manage to find jack.
1T0 011 031 D BN3 yeti 09 >

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 · (Edited)
Nice one pomemm appreciate you taking the time to dig that out and PM sent.
as for mentioning of lifting heights regarding jacks if anyone looking for a jack of any description.
what height would folk need to lift the wheel clear of the road enough for changing.
The greenline from the base of the seam on rear is 225mm but from the actual sill it’s more 255mm.
The front is 200mm from base of the seam and … oh budgie I dint measure that bit… I’ll go check…

·
Administrator
5,792 Posts
The recommendation by The Hood is a good one, just check that the jack has a flat top. My trolley jack doesn't, it has a crown so I still use a shaped rubber puck.

·
Premium Member
2015 Elegance Greenline II
6,893 Posts
What about a jack from the Golf from MK5 on ?
Built on the same PQ35 platform as the Yeti

Reactions: Llanigraham

·
Administrator
16,183 Posts
The recommendation by The Hood is a good one, just check that the jack has a flat top. My trolley jack doesn't, it has a crown so I still use a shaped rubber puck.
So is mine I put a piece of wood on the trolley jack head and the magnetic piece on the car.

·
Registered
2011 Yeti Elegance blue with some rusty bits 140bhp 4x4 dgsl
4 Posts
Thank you all so much, looks like tracking down a used jack then, as I’ve seen the official jack up at over £80.
not much more to buy the kit with the tool bag ,carpet and towing eye.
really like the idea of the alignment tool great idea always a faff getting the wheel balanced and alighted to get the first bolt in.
think that’s on the shopping list.
would any Vag jack work or is the yeti one that bit taller?
thank you all again for warm welcome and swift replies,
appreciated.
If you are still looking for a VAG jack I have a surplus brand new one here. It's a Yeti one and it came with a spare wheel kit. If you are within striking distance of Oldham you can have it gratis
Best
Brian

·
Registered
Yeti 1.2 TSI Urban 2012
11 Posts
If you are still looking for a VAG jack I have a surplus brand new one here. It's a Yeti one and it came with a spare wheel kit. If you are within striking distance of Oldham you can have it gratis
Best
Brian
If you still have the jack would you be prepared to post it? Obviously I'd pay for that. TIA.

·
Registered
62 Posts
One problem with lifting any car by the body (sill), is that it relaxes the suspension significantly increasing the height needed in order for a wheel to actually come off the ground for changing.

The ideal place to position a jack is as close to the affected wheel as possible which means under the relevant wishbone and that is where a professional will place one. Thus placed, and depending on the profile of the spare wheel being fitted, it's only necessary to lift the car by that much and of course the lower the car the less chance there is of instability.

For that reason, even though I do have an original jack, I choose instead to carry a low profile trolley jack which fits in the large compartment of the boot moulding. Lifting by the wishbone also means there is little or no scope for damaging anything.

To the OP, fair play to you for having an OH who is prepared to even contemplate changing a wheel, she sounds like a keeper (y)

My OH has done it in the past but age and increasing decrepitude means those days are now well behind her.

·
Registered
908 Posts
One problem with lifting any car by the body (sill), is that it relaxes the suspension significantly increasing the height needed in order for a wheel to actually come off the ground for changing.

The ideal place to position a jack is as close to the affected wheel as possible which means under the relevant wishbone and that is where a professional will place one. Thus placed, and depending on the profile of the spare wheel being fitted, it's only necessary to lift the car by that much and of course the lower the car the less chance there is of instability.

For that reason, even though I do have an original jack, I choose instead to carry a low profile trolley jack which fits in the large compartment of the boot moulding. Lifting by the wishbone also means there is little or no scope for damaging anything.

To the OP, fair play to you for having an OH who is prepared to even contemplate changing a wheel, she sounds like a keeper (y)

My OH has done it in the past but age and increasing decrepitude means those days are now well behind her.
By the roadside? Recipe for disaster!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Not necessarily and depends on the circumstances but who said anything about 'at the roadside' anyway?

I used to work away a lot and 'er indoors has had to change a wheel both on the drive at home and in a Tesco supermarket car park!

Reactions: RickT
21 - 33 of 33 Posts