Yeti Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The GPS on my sat nav has gone haywire. It's appears to stick in one spot not far from me, then later moves to another area a few miles from where I am. Anyone had a similar problem or know if there is some kind of reset button.Cheers

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Can respond to my own question now.I called my local Skoda dealer to be told that it is probably the aerial base unit that needs replacing - fortunately under warranty. Booked in for Thursday this week.

·
Registered
788 Posts
I haven't had such a severer problem, but sometimes if starting from an 'off road' position such as the car park at work, it can take a little time to get itself sorted when on a proper road.

Do let us know how you get on..

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They changed the aerial base unit and now seems fine, unfortunately the changes don't update the sat nav maps. My garage says they get a number of these faults a year.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Where does the Sat Nav get it's information on traffic from?I do use it, but on long journeys up and down the M6, I tend to use a Google Phone instead as it shows me where the worst traffic is up ahead.The Amundsen + unit in my Skoda Yeti often does not predict traffic ahead until I'm locked into it. It caught me by surprise once when it re-routed to get me round traffic, but iyt just isn't reliable enough to be able to relax with it.

·
Registered
222 Posts
My gripe with the Amundsen is that it appears to have a restricted data base. Last week I tried in vain to get it to programme in 'Porthgain', a small village north of St. Davids. With the predictive alphabet keys it would not allow Porthgain to be typed in - even the Navigon in my wife's Citigo seems to work better.
On the plus side I'm a convert to the DAB radio, especially the BBC World Service - pity you run out of reception in the Brecon area.

·
Registered
788 Posts
JohnHB said:
Where does the Sat Nav get it's information on traffic from?

Hi, I too have an Amundsen+ and I'm happy with it. I have never had a sat nav before so can't compare it to any others for accuracy etc. I'm not sure where the unit gets it's info but I wonder if it's linked to the TMC information that lists traffic issues via the TMC button?

"Traffic Message Channel (TMC) is a technology for delivering traffic and travel information to motor vehicle drivers. It is digitally coded, using the Radio Data System system on conventional FM radio broadcasts. It can also be transmitted on Digital Audio Broadcasting or satellite radio. TMC allows silent delivery of dynamic information suitable for reproduction or display in the user's language without interrupting audio broadcast services. Both public and commercial services are operational in many countries. When data is integrated directly into a navigation system, traffic information can be used in the system's route calculation."I must admin that my unit does have a tendency to announce "Attention, traffic problems" as I just join the end of a jam!
But as a whole, I love the unit and wouldn't be without it...

Edited by: discosteve

·
Registered
67 Posts
Thanks Discosteve,that makes sense.I can't help feeling that the Amundsen unit is missing a trick or two. I use it a lot, but have had the same annoying situation of joining a queue just as the nice lady tells me there is traffic ahead. She kindly tells me whether I'm navigating or not, which is nice of her, but still rather pointless.
The free Android Google App was better than the car Amundsen unit, but the new one is not as user-friendly. (the desire for constant change? Google getting more information off me?)
It's only a minor moan!
One other little thought? Do any of our comments feed back to Skoda at all?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sat nav not really good value when you can get life time updates and camera alerts from other maker's.Think Skoda missed a selling point here.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Histrically Skoda seem to have made updates available in about six monthly intervals. This is the first car that I have used with built in satnav - I think that it is brilliant.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Yea you can update the built in sat nav from skoda site at no charge. Usually if you compare to other built in units you would have to pay for updates. Only thing is speed cameras but trusting your gps to warn you everytime is a big misstake so why even bother with them.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Ah! I have been looking to see how I can turn the speed camera alerts on. Does that mean there are none?

·
Registered
222 Posts
Hi Hammy,
I've not found any speed camera alert facility. Perhaps the more informed could tell us.
Shanco

·
Registered
788 Posts
There isn't any. The best you get is a speed limit symbol in the top left hand corner. But this is only as accurate as the map updates are...

There is a setting on the maxi-dot you can make to alert you when you go over a set speed limit but this needs to be manually entered and needs to be changed when the speed limit of the road changes.

·
Registered
788 Posts
mf1981 said:
Yea you can update the built in sat nav from skoda site at no charge. Usually if you compare to other built in units you would have to pay for updates.
I haven't come accross any updates on Skoda site for Amundsen+ unit - anyone else?

Thanks,

Stephen

·
Registered
920 Posts
I've got an Amundsen loaded withV3 and believe there is a V4 but you have to buy it as either a CD or SD card.

·
Registered
788 Posts
How do you know / check what version you have? I believe this is the same unit as fitted in some VW models - I wonder if you can use their updates?

·
Registered
920 Posts
I've got the original 2CD'sin the box and it says on there what version they are.'Navigation CD(FX) Part no 3T0051884G'

·
Registered
70 Posts
1 - 20 of 86 Posts