Yeti Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took delivery of mine just yesterday, and these forums are already proving an invaluable source of information so I thought I'd join in properly so I could thank you all.

Mine's a beautiful 1.6 TdiSE Greenline II inShark Blue.Technically I'm the 2nd owner of this little monster, but as it's still only done under 1700 miles it's been sold to me as an ex-demonstrator by a VERY helpful dealership here in West Wiltshire. Bargain! Longed for a Yeti ever since I first saw one and have to say I'm very, very happy with it so far (though I am still missing my lovely old Land Rover Defender TD5 HT rather badly... still, at £30 a year tax versus the £220 the Landie was costing, and no doubt far less running costs and hopefully massively reduced repair bills, it was a no-brainer really)

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
Welcome philmcm. I am sure you will feel right at home here.

·
Administrator
14,841 Posts
Welcome to the forum, hopefully you will have many enjoyable miles in your new car, I expect you have joined a growing number of owners reading the handbook before going to sleep. There is a theory amongst some of the members that most Yeti owners have a beard and a dog (I have neither), if your avatar is accurate, you are halfway there already, well done!

·
Registered
368 Posts
The Hood said:
There is a theory amongst some of the members that most Yeti owners have a beard and a dog (I have neither), if your avatar is accurate, you are halfway there already, well done!

Looks like the dog has the beard - so Phil doesn't need one.

Welcome to the forum by the way - enjoy your new Yeti.

Still lovin' mine.

Edited by: Rolymo

·
Administrator
5,138 Posts
Welcome philmcm, hope that you continue to enjoy your yeti, I am sure you'll soon feel the same about it as you did your old LR.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Welcome philmcm, with me I miss my focus ST but must say I am not disapointed in the yeti although it is only day 2...

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ha! What a lovely welcome. Gotta confess, I don't actually have a beard, but as noted up there my dog does. Actually, both my dogs too - even the girl - as they're Wire Haired Fox Terriers (think Snowy in TinTin if you're not familiar with the breed).

I'm currently Googling the best way to transport them around in the Yeti without the upholstery getting absolutely covered in mud from day one, so any suggestions on that front 9or back, I suppose) are more than welcome.

Also, a random question for you... do Yeti owners typically nod, wave or otherwise acknowledge other Yeti owners when they pass one another on the road? It's something I got used to while owning an old Defender, but then again since most Defender owners tend to spend half their time fixing mechanical problems or bailing out water from inside their cars there's a general feeling that they're all in it together, which isn't presumably the case with Yetis. Just wondered....

·
Registered
368 Posts
philmcm said:
Also, a random question for you... do Yeti owners typically nod, wave or otherwise acknowledge other Yeti owners when they pass one another on the road?

Ha - a great question which will no doubt open the floodgates on this thread.
We (YOC members) ALWAYS wave to acknowledge other Yeti's - however - reciprocation is far from guaranteed at the moment as others will tell you. (lots of post about "lack of waves" on here).

I pulled up next to a Yeti in Oxford the other week, I waved frantically and got a beautiful smile (if somewhat bemused) from an elderly chinese lady. Made my day anyway and maybe hers too.

So, yes please wave as energetically as possible, tho' hanging out of the car whilst doing this is maybe not advised.

Edited by: Rolymo

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cheers Rolymo! Questions that open floodgates are typically the lifeblood of any forum, so I'm not about to apologise for that (unless it's just SUCH a common question that I really should've looked it up first; that's not the impression I get here though)

Up until now I've adopted a kind of two fingered salute, with my fingers remaining firmly pressed together lest the gesture be misunderstood, which I'll carry forward gladly into my new Yeti-owning fraternal motoring life. Just a case of retraining my mind to subconsciously look out for Yetis rather than ancient land Rovers before I wave now!

Looking forward to it - I've not seen too many around here (in Wiltshire) until now, but I know from years of experience stretching back to my very first Austin 1100 in the 1970s that you don't tend to notice the make of cars too much until you buy one, and then they seem to be EVERYWHERE

·
Premium Member
5,331 Posts
Flash and wave seems to be the general way.

·
Administrator
14,841 Posts
The number of Yeti's has gone up but I can still go several weeks before seeing one. I always try and wave but seldom get any response. I used to "flash" but Wakev told me off!
Edited by: The Hood

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yeah, I can see how flashing could be frowned upon. I definitely need to work on my wave though; it's best described as "nervously understated" at present, thus allowing myself time to pull out of the gesture when it becomes apparent that the other driver isn't going to reciprocate. Although invariably they're probably still puzzling over what the idiot in the other car was gesturing about by the time they get home...

·
Registered
368 Posts
The Hood said:
I used to "flash" but Wakev told me off!

I believe that this is also an arrest-able offence, so be careful . . . . . . probably more of a summer option too . . . .

·
Premium Member
2,460 Posts
Hi and welcome to the mad house I mean forum

Flashing with the headlights is ok, but not

·
Registered
67 Posts
I would like to wave at my fellow Yeti owners, but the good lady wife disapproves of such behaviour. So, if I'm on my own, I shall do the decent thing, but if there's a lady in the passenger seat, I shall do my best to disguise a wave as a scratched head or nose wipe.

·
Registered
83 Posts
If i see one or that matter a Skoda of any sort, i will happily wave but here in Central Victoria i seriously doubt I'll be seeing one any time soon...

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
JohnHB said:
I would like to wave at my fellow Yeti owners, but the good lady wife disapproves of such behaviour.
My wife toots the horn as well as waves...as I sink into the passengers seat

·
Registered
828 Posts
My mind is 'boggling'. Wives tooting horns AND waving, all at the same time! Am I getting the wrong end of the stick?!?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I think my wife is more concerned at what I wave than the fact that I'm waving.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts