Yeti Owners Club banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. Picked up our 2012 diesel Yeti last month after a long and exhaustive search.Over the last 15 months in Australia almost every manufacturer released a new (or updated) model SUV, and being in no particular hurry to buy, sat back and waited for each of them. In the end each of the new models fell down in important areas (to me), and the Yeti which we first test drove when it was released here, was easily the best choice for us.

I think it has actually exceeded expectations. Really don't have any complaints at all. Before letting it out to play, I applied protective film on the headlights and fogs, and wheel arch extensions for some protection from country roads and shopping centre carparks. I think the extensions improve it's looks too, though never found them challenging in the first place.

Happy to have found this forum.

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
Welcome Copperhead.
Just wondering about the protective film. Was it aftermarket or dealer supplied?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the welcome. I fitted the Altrex light skinz myself. 0.4mm, not the 1.5mm that can be a little problematic to make fit over the curve. A small squeegee, a hairdryer and a sprayer with soapy water and it's fairly simple. Would have liked a practice go first though.

·
Premium Member
2,460 Posts
Welcome to the club.

Any chance of posting a photo with the wheel archextensions.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Nice car Copperhead, thanks for the pics.
The extensions look neat! Were they hard to fit? Any others mods in the pipeline?
All the best, Rob.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Rob. The extensions were easy to fit, but not quick. I bought them from Superskoda (along with the mudflaps and some chrome bling), and they came without glue. So, after reading everything I could find about the best glue for the job, decided it would be easier and cleaner to use double sided tape. Of course finding the tape I wanted was difficult and expensive, but found a guy on ebay who sells short lengths which make it more affordable.I used 3M 5952 vhb and a primer activator.

A wash, followed by a cleaner to remove whatever wax the dealer may have used, then a wipedown with isopropyl alcohol, then primer. The plastic pieces were just cleaned with alcohol and primed. I used a thin 5mm tape and ran it around the perimeter twice. The plastic pieces are very light, and the tape unbelievably strong.
Which means you get one chance to align it properly, so many dry runs until I felt confident.

The tape is activated fully by pressure, so after pushing it on with thumb pressure, used a roller and quite a bit of force over each piece, I used a roller skate that has been sitting in the back of a cupboard for 30+ years waiting for it's chance to be useful. It did a fine job too.

I have some stainless steel inserts that go in the lower grill, some chrome foglight surrounds, and chrome exhaust tips. I'll have to see whether I think they are an improvement before I commit to fitting them. Otherwise, i bought a dashmat, and some new cleaning products, including a variety of new generation ceramic sealer. Further down the track I'd like to look at fitting a provent (oil catchcan), sheepskin seat covers, and I'm sure other things that aren't even on the radar will come up.

What do you have planned for your's?

Edited by: Copperhead

·
Registered
260 Posts
Well you did a good job on it.
Future stuff for ours? Our car was a dealer demo, so we had a towbar fitted before taking it off the lot. We had the windows tinted a couple of weeks ago, that was on the list, and we intend to get some roof racks and a storage box/pod as we are hoping to do a round road trip to Lightning Ridge , Coonamble, Siding Springs and Warrumbungles in the near future.
I've seen those foglight surrounds at Superskoda and was thinking about them. You will have to post pics when you fit them, I'll be interested.
Cheers, Rob.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ah, window tinting, knew there'd be something I forgot from the list.

Our Yeti's should never meet. Mine will be too jealous of everywhere yours gets to go, and sulk.

·
Registered
51 Posts
A belated welcome John from another Aussie Yeti owner, but way down south in Melbourne. Pleased you are enjoying yours, as so many others do. As there are few around here it is helpful to hear others experiences. How did you go purchasing from Superskoda? Any problems or damage during delivery?

I would also be interested is seeing more photos of your mods, including the width of the wheel arch extensions out from the body line. You mentioned seat covers........I had after market light grey leather heated seats fitted and find them great, especially during our cold winter weather. Hope you continue to enjoy your Yeti.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the welcome Jim.

Superskoda got my order to me in 5 days, which I thought was very good. It was sent express by EMS, but that strangely was the cheaper shipping option. Everything was well wrapped and packed, but the kind folk at customs ripped everything out of it's bubblewrap and threw it in the bottom of the box and the packing on top. More than a few expletives uttered about them, and not for the first time. Nothing in my order could really be damaged, so that was the upside.

I'll take some shots a bit later to show what you want, but the wheel arch extensions don't do much actual extending. They only add a few mm to the width. With a small lip they have on them, maybe 5mm would be all. I really only wanted them to protect the arches from carpark dings.

You replaced the seats? How much did that cost if you don't mind me asking?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Thanks John for the photos, most helpful as I have not seen these before on a Yeti. I had the leather seats installed after purchase as I wanted a lighter coloured interior than the black cloth or leather seats, which as you probably know, are the only option in Australia. The good quality leather is a similar light grey colour to the interior and roof trim and looks great. The work was done by a vehicle trimmer but the leather seat skins were supplied by a company called Jackspeed, who seem to supply interior leather for many upmarket vehicles. I am fussy and am very happy with the result, which I consider to be better quality than the Skoda leather. The dealer I purchased the Yeti from uses the same company when changing interior leather prior to delivery. Cost was about $600 cheaper than the factory leather option, though having the heating elements installed was more expensive. Of course you don't need to have heated seats though in our cooler winters it is a bonus. Edited by: Aussiejim

·
Registered
760 Posts
Hi Copperhead, Yet another belated welcome from a west coast Yeti owner. I find an interest in the fact that you took your time to decide what to buy and tried a number of others to verify your choice.
I hope future models are not cosmetically modified to blend in with the other non-descripts, but maintains its individuality!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the welcome, belated or not. I do have a tendency to overdo the research.

I think it will be disappointing if the Yeti has the new corporate face grafted on. I don't find the new shape of most SUV's all that appealing, and the poor visability unforgiveable.

I like that the Yeti marches to it's own beat.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts