Yeti Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone had an Amundsen+ satnav/media retrofitted by a dealer in place of the Bolero radioin an Elegance. The last dealer I spoke to said this might be possible for about £750 but didn't seem very sure.

I quite fancy the Amundsen+ satnav but that restricts me to buying a used SE Plus
rather than a used Elegance (which are often at similar prices). The Columbus is quite rare in a
used car and probably too expensive to retrofit.

Thanks.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Hi wimbo,

I've an Amundsen+ in my adventure which came as a standard fitting.

Whilst the DAB radio is superb the same cannot be said of the sat nav. From experience I can, without hesitation, confirm that it does not come in the same class as Mio (Navman), Tom Tom or even Navigon.

It has a predictive search and is incapable of programming small Welsh villages which all the others coped with. Thereis no speed warning capabilityand amap an update would involve a franchised dealer. Furthermore there is neither an 'altitude read out' nor a 'speed readout'.

Last week I was in Belgium and on a number of occasions 'it lost the plot' even on old established roads.

I would actively consider buying a stand alone sat nav before 'investing' in an Amundsen+.

Shanco

Edited by: Shanco

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Shanco. Slightly worrying that it gets lost occasionally and doesn't find some place names - although my separate Garmin alsodoes this occasionally.
I do know that the 'sensible' thing to do is to always use a standalone satnav such as TomTom with
proper traffic updates, however I find the hassle of hooking them up and waiting for GPS
lock is such that I don't use my (admittedly quite old) Garmin that often.

One other question. Does the Amundsen get GPS lock immediately you need it or only start
searching for satellites once you switch to Nav mode? My Garmin can take 3 or 4 minutes to
achieve lock sometimes which is really annoying.

·
Registered
788 Posts
The GPS lock is immediate. Once the unit is on, say in radio mode and then you switch to Nav it knows exactly where you are instantly...

·
Registered
394 Posts
We were quoted about £1000 to have one retro fitted when we bought our ex-Skoda car at the end of last year. Just not worth it.As mentioned in another post I'm not keen on the location of the screen either as I like my SatNav at eye level by the A post.

·
Premium Member
5,326 Posts
I'd prefer to buy a Garmin and spend the change on something enjoyable like a good meal or three!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all your advise. I think I agree that retrofitting an Amundsen doesn't makemuch financial sense for £750-£1000. If it was the best satnav out there then maybe, but
it is obviously quite an old unit with a few issues. Mind you it sounds like it is much better/faster to get lock than
my 5 year old Garmin satnav so if I find a used Yeti that I like with an Amundsen+ in already I'll probably be quite happy for a while. Not quite sure why Skoda are stuck with previous generation VW satnav/mediaunits but still chargean excessive amount for them. Their wholemixed upsatnav policy of including
one as standard in the lower spec. SE plus but not in the Elegance is all a bit odd.

·
Registered
54 Posts
The SE+ model was introduced 1-2 years after the initial model line-up. I was told by my local dealer that Skoda recognised that buyers regularly opted for rear sensors and SatNav so they introduced the SE+ with these options. With F/L the models have been redone with SatNav now only standard fit on L&K.

·
Registered
67 Posts
My Yeti came with the Amundsen+ unit. The free SatNav App on my Google Android phone is better in some respects, and is regularly updated at no extra cost. I've used an old Tom Tom and an old Mio satNav and they were better than the Amudsen unit.The quick view on the maxi dot display is well thought out and is useful, but the price of retro-fitting cannot be justified.

·
Registered
42 Posts
ebay 350 for the unit delivered and I needed a £20 surround from skoda as the columbus is a different shape to the bolero.

GPS reciever sits just under the top box on the dash (real easy to remove and fit) and there was some VCDS codings needed so it could talk to the car. navigation option now in the maxidot which shows directions and compass when not using the nav.

granted its not a 'good' as a tomtom but I love it.

I've all my music loaded onto the HD and there are no wires hanging all over the dash. some people complain that it too low to look at but if you need to look at a satnav that much you probably shouldnt be driving and I also hate seeing satnav unit stuck in the middle of the screen giving a nice cyclist sized blind spot. its just stupid.

·
Registered
788 Posts
mrchrispy said:
no wires hanging all over the dash. some people complain that it too low to look at but if you need to look at a satnav that much you probably shouldnt be driving and I also hate seeing satnav unit stuck in the middle of the screen giving a nice cyclist sized blind spot. its just stupid.
Totally agree with the above. I love mine too and now that I've had a car with one factory fitted I think I'd find it difficult to be without next time. I just love the complete integration...

The maxi dot is sometimes clearer to understand than the screen and voice over anyway and it's just in the right place.

Stephen

·
Registered
211 Posts
I find my Amundsen+ OK as a satnav instrument, but I've only used it in the UK. I still believe in MAPNAV, it provides much more than simply how to to get from A to B. One of the best satnavs I had was on a Nokia phone. Nokia Maps provided excellent navigation, together with speed limits and speed camera warnings. Biggest problem was getting it to log on to GPS. once it did,however, it was excellent.

·
Registered
13 Posts
There seems to be all different codes for Amundsen+ and Columbus. I'm thinking of retro fitting as not prepared to pay dealer price. Also want the DAB model. Does anybody know which of the VW/SEAT models would work if I can't get a Skoda unit.

The Bolero is easy to use as I've already added a DAB add on to my wife's Yeti. Mine is due beginningof March

·
Registered
788 Posts
Hi believe the VW equivalent is the RNS315. A quick search on ebay returns several units for sale. I suspect that if you by an ex-VW unit it will display the VW splash screen upon start-up but it's probably a small price to pay. There are some Skoda units there too...

There is also a RNS310 but I'm not sure of the difference.

If you are after the unit for it's DAB capabilities, I'd double check as I understand from other posts on this site that theAmundsen comes in two version - one with DAB and one without!

I also noticed that people were selling SD cards with map updates. Does anyone know how to interpret the database version on theAmundsen+'s to work out if it's got the latest version?

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
discosteve said:
Hi believe the VW equivalent is the RNS315. A quick search on ebay returns several units for sale. I suspect that if you by an ex-VW unit it will display the VW splash screen upon start-up but it's probably a small price to pay. There are some Skoda units there too...

There is also a RNS310 but I'm not sure of the difference.
Have a look here for the differences between the units:
http://www.my-gti.com/719/differences-between-the-volkswagen-rcd-210-rcd-310-rns-310-rcd-510-and-the-rns-510

·
Registered
13 Posts
plbxr - Thanks for the links, some interesting info. The Seat units seem cheaper than the other VAG units. Not bothered by the splash screen just like to have built in sat nav & dab without paying the dealer prices

1 - 20 of 21 Posts