Yeti Owners Club banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Administrator
14,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My grandson loves the Bus Museum (LBMPT) at Brooklands which means I get emails from them. There was an article where they had been using Polytrol to restore a vehicle, I have never heard of it before, has anyone on here used it.
On the strength of the LBMPT using it I have ordered some, luckily from someone offering free delivery (others charge £9.95 delivery). I will try it on the rear bumper, roof rails and door buffers.

Here is a picture of before and after by the LBMPT

Here is a Polytrol video

·
Administrator
14,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
I tried the Polytrol out this afternoon, the weather is dull and the pictures do not really show the full difference. The three pictures of swmbo car are a half done rear handle, an untreated front handle, and a finished rear handle. The Yeti will spend the next few weeks looking like a Panda to see how the treatment holds up to bright sunshine.

IMG_20200627_170348204.jpg IMG_20200627_170516182_PORTRAIT.jpg IMG_20200627_170522536_PORTRAIT.jpg

IMG_20200627_170247005_PORTRAIT.jpg IMG_20200627_170216882_PORTRAIT.jpg

·
Administrator
4,871 Posts
Looks good.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Looks good I used to use baby oil on my black handles and bumpers with the same effect

·
Administrator
14,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I previously tried Camelia oil which I use to rustproof woodwork tools (does not stain wood) but the effect was short lived. I only bought it because the bus museum use it and museums usually have short arms and deep pockets so I thought maybe it is worth a try. I'll probably find out they are using a free sample. :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have some polytrol, not for use on my car but on my red composite front door.
It was faded to a pink colour, I did a bit of research & found this stuff, worked a treat as well.

·
Registered
4 Posts
After reading about Polytrol colour restorer, I bought some to use on the plastic exterior trim on Yeti. Not tried on the car yet but it’s great on garden swing and plastic chairs etc Brown plastic down pipes on house came up a treat. Will see how it does on the garden stuff After a couple of months before I try on my Yeti.

·
Administrator
14,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I actually got round to using the Polytrol yesterday, it seems to have worked very well, time will tell how long the effect lasts. The roof rails, back bumper, sill covers and panels next to the front bumper went very well.

·
Premium Member
5,430 Posts
Does look good though.
As does that very smart driveway! (Says he just closed the door 30 minutes ago on cold callers offering less expensive deals on resin drive coverings.

Was that laid DIY or by contractors?

·
Administrator
14,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Too clean Mr Hood! Too clean! :LOL:

Does look good though.
Quite the opposite actually, I only washed the black bits prior to treatment. Aqua blue changes colour with the light and doesn't show the dirt.

·
Administrator
14,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
As does that very smart driveway! (Says he just closed the door 30 minutes ago on cold callers offering less expensive deals on resin drive coverings.

Was that laid DIY or by contractors?
It was done by contractors, I preferred the concrete drive as I wasn't scared of chipping it with the trolley jack or axle stands. They did a nice job with our five manholes, the rear n/s wheel is just about on one of them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I actually got round to using the Polytrol yesterday, it seems to have worked very well, time will tell how long the effect lasts. The roof rails, back bumper, sill covers and panels next to the front bumper went very well.

View attachment 4284
Looks very good. I bought some Polytrol to do my Yeti exterior plastic bits, not got round to it yet as my wife has been doing the garden furniture also the plastic down pipes of the house with great effect. Been a bit chicken to do the car yet. Will wait and see how long it lasts on your yeti and my furniture.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Looks great Hood. I started using Maguires bumper black a few months back. Seems to be long lasting on bumpers and rails.

·
Registered
4 Posts
POLYTROL
Garden furniture still looks great after a couple of months. Took the plunge !!!!
Washed the yeti with Maguairs carnauba shampoo, finished with Maguairs caramic wax. Used Polytrol on the roof rails front / rear bumpers and the plastic under the bonnet. Looks amazing

·
Administrator
14,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The black parts on the Yeti still look as good as the day they were treated. One strange effect, is that the black shiny trim makes the unwashed car look cleaner :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have to admit, I've still only used it on my front door.
I'm going to have to do the black bits on the car as well being as you guys are saying it's working so well.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts