Yeti Owners Club banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If not then I will be disappointed as I am supposed to be getting my SE plus 170BHP diesel this Friday! Actually at the end of the day it is just a car. Still it will be an improvement on my 8 year old Alpha Romeo which is currently waiting an engine re-build after the water pump seized....

·
Premium Member
2,460 Posts
In a word YES I.m on my second yeti, and I think the next car will be a yeti (when I haverepaired the damaged bank accountafter paying for a wedding this year
)

·
Administrator
13,464 Posts
Welcome to the forum, I hope Friday does not take too long to arrive.

I've had mine for just over a year and it makes me smile when I drive it. 14500 miles no oil burnt, no rattles or squeaks, an average of 52 mpg, and SWMBO refuses to drive it, RESULT!

You will be glad you bought it

·
Registered
222 Posts
Bought mine in January and thoroughly 'chuffed' to bits with it. The biggest problem you'll find is what extras to decide upon once you've got it. Just sit back and enjoy your Yeti's company!!

·
Registered
224 Posts
Yes and No, like all other Cars they have their Good and not so Good points. For me the main reason I bought our 2.0TDi was ease of access and egress. Bad knees meant that getting in and out of our Focus TDi Sport was becoming a "pain". In this respect the Yeti is great. Fuel consumption is excellent at around 50mpg. Comfort is very good with my own personal sponge lower "lumber" wedge in place. Gear change is a delight. The Brakes are not the best being noisy and lacking in stopping power under certain conditions. Quite a few sqweeks and rattles some of which I have cured after advice from this Forum. Minor switch gear is poor, for example the Electrical Door Mirror adjustment knob, very cheap and the Cruise Control switch, too small and fiddley. Near side Driveshaft replaced under warranty at 5000 miles due to bad assembly (Rubber Boot not secured allowing grease to escape). Numerous visits to Dealer to trace and cure annoying rattle from Engine bay. Finally traced and fixed. Luggage space with the Spare Wheel kit in place is poor for a car of this size and the Spare wheel is not even full size whichis disapointing.

Overall, I like the car now that I am getting it "sorted" but feel that Quality Control at the factory could be better.

·
Premium Member
4,853 Posts
To take some of Mike's points:
No problems with the brakes, including towing a 1300kg caravan around Wales. Certainly better than my previous Td4 Freelander with vented discs! Never caused me any concerns. No noise problems.

Mine now has a few small rattles, but it has done 60k miles in 3 years.

Minor switch gear comes from the VAG parts-bin, including the door mirror gear so I'm very surprised by that comment. Audi seem satisfied with it!

Boot appears smaller than it is; you need to think vertically to get stuff in it, then it can be quite surprising.

Lots of cars come with narrow spares now. At least the Yeti one isn't 3.5", but only slightly narrower than standard. (I don't have a spare)

As said I've done nearly 60k miles in mine and have been very happy with it. It regularly gets taken off-road where it is quite good in that area. Fuel consumption is in the top 40's, including taking the caravan to France a few times and driving at their motorway towing speeds. Only thing I have had to replace has been a DRL bulb, which Skoda did under warranty.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Well I guess you might still get an end of week build that is not up to scratch now and again but I reckon in general the Yeti is one great piece of kit.I'll go as far as to say the best car I've ever owned,and I have had a few in my 50 yrs of driving.OK,it's early day's for me,just 3 months but eight and a half thousand klms so well used.One or two little squeak's early on but easily cured and that's about it.The one big problem that I,and I believe several other forumers have experienced,is when to stop buying extra bit's for it.Great to drive,handles like a dream,comfortable and dead economical under all condition's.The brake's are ok,not like a sport's car but hey,driven as intended never a concern.Yup,think you'll enjoy him cos I cant find any reason not too.

·
Administrator
13,464 Posts
Mike Tee said:
The Brakes are not the best being noisy and lacking in stopping power under certain conditions.

If you have someone close by with VCDS, the brake boost can be increased. The normal setting is 2 (medium), I changed mine to 3 (high) which made a noticeable difference.
That said I was recently carved up by a car on the M25 T5 spur which promptly braked hard. I stood on my brakes and braced for the impact. The Yeti just stopped, almost within its own legnth, how I do not know, no skid no deviation no chattering from the abs it just stopped.
I remember reading something in the handbook about the Yeti sensing how fast the pedal is depressed and applying extra stopping power in an emergency, this time it certainly did.

·
Premium Member
4,853 Posts
Otherwise known as "Emergency Brake Assist", and as The Hood says, boy does it work!!!!!! Almost enough to bruise my shoulder!!

·
Registered
828 Posts
Welcome, pyratepete, to Yetiland..
..Your new car is, or will not be, 'just a car'. It will very soon be a family member.

I used to work for a German owned company and can say that they do not 'do' Monday morning / Friday afternoon products.

It is mainly built, as has previously been stated, largely from the VAG parts bin. Commonly perceived as one of the better quality bins!

Roll on Fiday !!!!

·
Registered
224 Posts
Thanks for the observations in reply to my previous post. Please let me re-cap and say that overall we are satisfied with our Yeti and I sincerely hope that Pyratepeter has a good experience with his new car. All I was trying to say is that our Yeti has both pleased and disapointed in different ways, as is the case with most new cars when viewed dispassionately. The brake noise and performance has been well recorded on many Forums so it's not just myself who has shown disatisfaction in this respect. One recommended route to take is to fit the larger Front Discs off the 170 BHP model. I get the "feeling" that there is a lot of electronic control going on when the brakes are operated which I personally don't like. Sudden sharp operation of the pedal does result in excellent retardation. Where I have found them lacking is in the situation I previously reported when we where approaching a roundabout down a long steep decent under "normal" braking when the large truck who was indicating to leave the roundabout decided to "continue" around which meant I had to stop. At the time we where fully loaded and to stop required a **** of a lot of pedal pressure, far greater than I have ever noticed before on any car. To simply increase "servo" assistance to achieve effective breaking seems a strange solution to me. With regard to flimsy switch gear one can'thelp butcompare the "new car" with the previous and the door mirror switch on our Ford was better both ergonomically and quality wise. Our Yeti is only our second car from the VW stable and our first, a new 1990 Golf GTi was definately a Monday Morning / Friday car. Steeing lock failed (car recovered on a lo-loader), Gearbox replaced, Fuel Injectors replaced, all in the first 12 months.
So once again, I do like our Yeti and have rather enjoyed getting solving the many "niggles" we have found, the brakes and lack of luggage space we will probably have to live with, but hey, nothings perfect or "as Good as They Say" !!.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts