Yeti Owners Club banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have wanted a Yeti for years but was reluctant to part with my 11-year-old Ford Fusion which was 99.999% reliable and extremely frugal. However, when a suitable Yeti came up in September 2021, I grabbed it. Every Yeti owner I have spoken to says "I love my Yeti"!
Having driven around through lots of very large puddles for the last 3+ months, it's noticeable how much water splashes up over the bonnet and onto the windscreen, much more than happened with the Fusion. Last week, I put the car in the garage and went back 2 hours later to find that the engine fan was still running. It was still running when the breakdown van arrived more than an hour later, but after half-an-hour either searching or on the phone to a colleague, the relevant fuse was found and the fan was disconnected. It seems to be the fan control unit which needs replacing at a cost of £300 + fitting + VAT. Is this a common problem and will it happen again with the new unit?

·
Premium Member
2015 Elegance Greenline II
7,128 Posts
Welcome to the Forum
Never heard of that problem myself.

Reactions: Llanigraham

·
Premium Member
Yeti Outdoor 2017 SEL TDi150 4x4 Manual
7,606 Posts
Never heard of that problem myself.
Me neither :) (heard of a case of the main fan control unit needing to be replaced).

Reactions: Llanigraham

·
Administrator
16,551 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I seem to have the reverse of your experience, my wife has a Fusion and it is forever going wrong, a waterfall from the headlining, no sunroof but a leaking front, windscreen, a faulty drivers lock needing a total door strip down, and three replacement rear hatch solenoids all in 30,000 miles.
The Yeti however is reliable, I wonder if your fan incident was an interrupted regen that went wrong? The water over the bonnet onto the screen can be quite spectacular at times.

·
Administrator
5,898 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Seems that you have found a new problem in the cooling fan. Wonder if there is any connection with the water splash.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That may depend on where the module is located.
I have no idea where the actual main fan unit is placed in the car but the fuse box is certainly well within the area which gets splashed! But if the fan unit is so easily splashable, I would expect it to be a common problem. I have a long wait for the new unit, fitting scheduled for 24th January

·
Premium Member
Kia Niro HEV2 and MG Midget
5,968 Posts
Sorry, but 2 points to that.
The main fuse board is inside the car, not under the bonnet.

Both of my Yetis got regularly used off road, in mud and water, and I forded much deeper than the recommended depth, and the engine bay fuse board never seemed to get wet. I fact the greatest area of under bonnet spray was behind and on the other side of the compartment. There is also the fact that the under bonnet fuse board has a very effective seal under the lid.

And no this is not a common "problem"; in fact I have never heard of another case in all the forums or FB pages over 12 years I have been involved with Yetis.

Reactions: Flintstone

·
Premium Member
7,128 Posts
Sorry, but 2 points to that.
The main fuse board is inside the car, not under the bonnet.
The radiator fan fuse is in the under bonnet fuse box.

"""24 Active charcoal filter, exhaust gas recirculation valve, radiator fan"""

·
Premium Member
5,968 Posts
OK, but my points still apply.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have wanted a Yeti for years but was reluctant to part with my 11-year-old Ford Fusion which was 99.999% reliable and extremely frugal. However, when a suitable Yeti came up in September 2021, I grabbed it. Every Yeti owner I have spoken to says "I love my Yeti"!
Having driven around through lots of very large puddles for the last 3+ months, it's noticeable how much water splashes up over the bonnet and onto the windscreen, much more than happened with the Fusion. Last week, I put the car in the garage and went back 2 hours later to find that the engine fan was still running. It was still running when the breakdown van arrived more than an hour later, but after half-an-hour either searching or on the phone to a colleague, the relevant fuse was found and the fan was disconnected. It seems to be the fan control unit which needs replacing at a cost of £300 + fitting + VAT. Is this a common problem and will it happen again with the new unit?
Had this broblem on all of my yetis, have had about 5. Fan runs for about half hour to one hour, but never any more.

·
Premium Member
5,968 Posts
Had this broblem on all of my yetis, have had about 5. Fan runs for about half hour to one hour, but never any more.
On diesels it isn't a "problem"; generally it is a sign that a DPF regeneration has been interrupted.

·
Premium Member
7,128 Posts
On diesels it isn't a "problem"; generally it is a sign that a DPF regeneration has been interrupted.
As Graham says an interrupted re-gen.
Mine has never run for more than 4 or 5 minutes after stopping, normal for a diesel particulate filter interrupted re-gen.

Reactions: Angela A

·
Premium Member
Yeti Outdoor 2017 SEL TDi150 4x4 Manual
7,606 Posts
As Graham says an interrupted re-gen.
Mine has never run for more than 4 or 5 minutes after stopping, normal for a diesel particulate filter interrupted re-gen.
Yup! Good points. During a DPF regen the unit gets way up above 600°C. Along with adjacent exhaust & turbo, etc.. Literally red hot. With all that under-bonnet heat to be dissipated, when a regen gets interrupted by the engine being switched off, the fans keep running till the temperatures fall low enough for the fans to safely switch themselves off. All part of the car protecting itself.

The "problem" would be if it did not do that. Risk of all that heat transferring to other surrounding areas where that would create a long-term problem. Putting the car in an confined garage while that is happening would likely slow the rate of cooling and prolong the time needed to get things cooled down. Hence an extended running time seems plausible? Although the time mentioned in #1 does seem excessive. Did things smell hot at the time?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts