Yeti Owners Club banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi - Greetings from Sydney
Just took delivery of my new 4x4 Yeti 2 litre turbo diesel 103 TDI DSG and it's great. From its rain-sensing wipers and auto headlights to its park assist (which I've not tried yet!) it's a very impressive SUV.

One thing I'm not impressed with is its Columbus SatNav which conjures up round-abouts at what seems to be every other road junction. If Christopher (Columbus) had have used it he'd have beaten Captain Cook in discovering Australia (or sailed off the edge of the world).

·
Registered
26 Posts
Welcome to the world of Yeti. Hope you will love your unit as much as everyone else. Re your comment on the Satnav, this worries me.

I have been waiting 49 weeks for my 2.0 litre (diesel) 170 bhp Elegance model, but now l am led to believe it will arrive very soon, (heard it all before etc), and l have requested Satnav in my unit. Perhaps your problems arise as you are 'down under', and the computer cannot work 'upside down'? Joking aside, does anyone in the UK have similar problems with the navigation unit?

How is the weather in Sydney; in my part of the UK it is pouring with rain at the moment.

Kind Regards

Graham

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Graham

Thanks for the comments. It could be that my impressions of the Columbus Satnav are colored by the fact that previously I had a TomTom GPS which not only warned me of red-light and speed cameras but also announced the street names as I drove along. The TomTom cost just over $200 - a tad cheaper than the Columbus but, I must admit, missing all the other goodies that the Columbus installation has.

The weather in Sydney is atrocious - it has rained since the beginning of the month and some Sydney roads are flooded but not as badly as the rest of NSW down near the Victorian border where there are massive floods. I was busy this morning so I didn't get chance to drive the Yeti through the local (Manly) flooded roads.

Cheers

Jack

·
Administrator
13,059 Posts
Do you still carry a map? I do, a year ago I was driving through a blizzard in Holland and the satnav could only find two satalites, boy was it funny, one moment it thought I was in a field, the next it thought I was going backwards. Whichever option you hav,e built in or windscreen mounted, satnavs do go wrong sometimes

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Too right I carry a map. Ever since my old satnav told me, in fact, insisted, that I should turn left over the edge of a very steep escarpment ...!!!
BTW the Yeti's Columbus manual says there is an MDI socket on the centre console but I can't find it. Does the Elegance have one? And, if so, what does it do?

·
Administrator
13,059 Posts
I'm afraid I thought £1500 was a bit steep for a satnav and use a TomTom, but I expect that someone else on here can help you with that one. Another gem was when my Tomtom said "make a u turn then, make a u turn". Yes right! mind you my wife almost wet herself laughing.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi. I'm also in Sydney but not (yet) an owner... Thinking about it though. No meaning to hijack your thread, but I wondered whether you might share which dealer you went with and whether they have been helpful. After some years of poor and expensive servicing on a Renault Scenic, we're wary of going against the local market with another low-sales European car. But it does look good! Very interested in your experience as a new owner.

·
Administrator
13,059 Posts
Just out of interest, we Brits make our Yeti's think they are Australian so they display MPH on the Maxidot.Do Aussie's make their cars think they are English so they get KPH?, and how long do you have to wait to get a Yeti?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Carla

I bought my Yeti 4x4 diesel 103TGI DSG auto from Trivett dealership in Blacktown which
is a fair distance from the Manly suburb where I live - around 50 kms -
but it was worth the trip as I received good service and Blacktown Trivett threw
in the extras of Sat Nav, park assist. From my experience I found Trivett good and concerned that the customer got rapid service (I had some problem with Skoda Australia validating the 5-year warranty on the Yeti but Skoda have now been in touch and apologised fror the delay in sending me the validation papers)

Delivery was amazing - I went to Blacktown and Trivett showed me the
Yeti I was considering buying. It was still wrapped in plastic and was not ready for
delivery so I was told it would be ready at the weekend and it was! All
gleaming white, taxed and insured and ready to drive away.
Here we are collecting it.

We will get it serviced somewhere nearer Manly and anticipate higher servicing costs than on a Korean or Japanese car but c'est la vie with European cars. My wife and I both think it's a great car to drive and we're looking forward to trying it out off-road.

Cheers

·
Registered
83 Posts
Brigantes said:
BTW the Yeti's Columbus manual says there is an MDI socket on the centre console but I can't find it. Does the Elegance have one? And, if so, what does it do?
We have two Yeti, both 2012 Elegances with Columbus and neither have the MDI socket.

Interestinly, my Fabia Greenline II that cost half as much had the MDI socket, but it's not possible to get one in a Yeti. You only get the AUX socket and an MDI socket is not even on the options list.

The MDI (Media Device Interface) is to plug in a media device that you can then access through the strereo. It's more comprehensive than the AUX socket and you can access more info and control it better.

Not havng it is an oversight by Skoda when lower spec, lower range cars have it.

·
Premium Member
4,717 Posts
Agreed, but a lot of people seem to be confused about these things.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts