Yeti Owners Club banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Administrator
13,096 Posts
There seem to be more minor criticisms than normal, hard ride, engine noise, dated etc, perhaps the Auto Express love affair is coming to an end.

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
You can read into that what you will. I own one, it does just about everything I want it to do, I love it. Based on long term experience if I needed to replace it then I would buy another Yeti.

Edited by: plbxr

·
Registered
42 Posts
plbxr said:
You can read into that what you will. I don't care much. I own one, it does just about everything I want it to do, I love it. Based on long term experience, if I needed to replace it then I would buy another Yeti.
Agree.

As for showing it's age against newer opposition in ride and refinement.... I tested the CX5, IX35, Sportage, Sante Fe, Outlander, Forester (petrol only), + others, and the only car that had the ride, handling and refinement to match the Yeti was the Tiguan, and it was dropped for other reasons.

In this case I feel it's just "familiarity breeds contempt".

·
Registered
67 Posts
I'm happy with my Yoda Sketi as well. I too tried out many "similar" cars and the Yeti was the best by a country mile; (with one exception and that was the VW equivalent which was pretty much the same at considerably more cost). A lot of crossovers have sloping windscreens which I bump my head on when I drive, such as the Kia Sportage.The Auto Express review isn't too bad and as for Skoda ; why change a winning formula? Too much is put on change for change sake these days. We had a great year 2000 Renault Scenic from new and the replacement model wasn't a patch on the old one. My mantra is evolution not revolution!
My only gripes with Yoda are a sat nav that tells me when I'm in traffic (yes, thanks Yoda, I can see that ) rather than how to avoid it and the radio is too complicated to retune when you move around the UK without stopping and concentrating. Next one will have a digital radio for Radio 5 after dark and the cricket on long wave.

·
Administrator
13,096 Posts
I think the extract below sums it up, it no longer looks individual....

Whichever one you choose, the angular new headlights, square foglights and single frame grille all move the tonka-toy looks closer to the rest of the range.

I don't doubt for a minute that under the "beige" bits it will still be very good, but why does everything have to look the same, I wonder if it comes in magnolia? I just home the front led lights will not follow the current trend of looking like Christmas fairly lights.Let's hope next year they bring back the individual looks and make the boot a foot longer with a proper rear wheel arch that does not use the rear door edge.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Looks tend to grow on people over time, if not and you own a current model then next year you will feel superior in the knowledge that you have the better version.I look at cars as a whole package, but the mechanics are usually the thing that i look at first.
The petrol engines and the DSG are excellent and are better than the other competition by miles.

The story is different where diesels are concerned. VAG diesels once the best are now severely lacking.
Take the Greenline, what have they achieved with this 1.6 engine, 103bhp, 250Nm, 61mpg, 119g/km, not bad, but no sparewheeloption to save weight, 25mm lower than the standard Yeti, nearly a normal car height to save on drag, a long geared manual box that can easily stall whilst approaching a roundabout.
Now compare this toHonda's new 1.6i D-Tec engine, this is available in the Civic and the CRV.
Civic 118bhp, 300NM, 75mpg, 99g/km and in the CRV 62mpg, 119gkm.
Imagine this kind of engine in a Yeti, most of the 2.0 ltrs would not be needed at all.

All these figures are taken from parkers car guide.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Let's not get too hung up on a few changes, some will like them some not.When we change vehicles next time we will asess the competition and make our minds up from there.
Just seen pic of the next Tiguan & now that really is bland!
We will always find some things we would change. (& others would not!)
Let's all relax a bit, don't react to wind-ups and most important Keep on enjoying our Fantastic YETIs (F/L or not!)
I for one just cannot wait to get my little monster in 2014!

·
Registered
77 Posts
kypriaki said:
Now compare this toHonda's new 1.6i D-Tec engine, this is available in the Civic and the CRV.
Civic 118bhp, 300NM, 75mpg, 99g/km and in the CRV 62mpg, 119gkm.
Imagine this kind of engine in a Yeti, most of the 2.0 ltrs would not be needed at all.
Don't get too excited by this engine in the CRV. One of the reasons I changed from a Yeti is that the boot was not deep enough. The CRV appealed as it is bigger so I have kept an eye on it. EVERY review of the CRV with this engine points out how gutless the engine is in this car and that the only way to keep it moving is to rev it hard so destroying the mpg. They are getting mid 40's in the real world for the CRV with this engine.

I currently drive a Volvo V60 with a 1.6 diesel, eco, engine. I am supposed to get mid to late 60's mpg but in the real world I get 48-52, compared to 44-48mpg that I got with my 2.0d, 4wd Yeti. For that I get a car that drives in treacle for gears 1 and 2 and only gets going when I hit 3rd gear. Long inclines, ie the SW of England, and passengers in the car kill the power of these engines. Great in Norfolk, average in most places, awful in the SW of England and probably the Highlands.

1.6d engines seem like a panacea, smaller engine, low emmissions, high mpg, but they suck a lot of pleasure from driving and the mpg figures are a fantasy. They may be the future, it seems we have no choice, but I would not rush too quickly towards them.

·
Registered
36 Posts
i was going to add that the 1.6 in the CRV would be under powered but300Nm isnt to be sniffed at.
In the civic it will be a winner and a hard act to follow, the Yeti is in the middle of these for size so that would mean an engine like this is a better option than the current 1.6 and 2ltr 108bhp.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts