Yeti Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone with this feature who finds it an annoyance can remove it very easily. At positive post of battery is a connector which if unplugged does the job. A YouTube tip, not my own natural brilliance.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Anyone with this feature who finds it an annoyance can remove it very easily. At positive post of battery is a connector which if unplugged does the job. A YouTube tip, not my own natural brilliance.

Yes, it will stop the stop/start system working but it will also stop the vital information that the battery monitoring unit provides to the ECU so that it can predict charge levels and counter the effects of battery ageing.

I have spent quite a lot of time trying to disable the stop/start on my car by using sensible methods (coding etc) and unless you install a device to memorise the last position the switch was left in, there are no ways of doing it.

The moral is, don’t believe everything you see on Youtube. There are almost as many idiots posting on there as there are good ideas.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Many thanks for the heads up on that; it did seem too easy. So coding can't dismiss it either. Bugger !

·
Registered
852 Posts
Many thanks for the heads up on that; it did seem too easy. So coding can't dismiss it either. Bugger !
Sadly not. You can code it off in the relevant areas, but it still remains on. Apparently you are not legally allowed to switch it off (permanently) and so it would be an MoT failure in any case. I haven’t looked at the issue for a while, but as I mentioned, you can buy a device which you wire into the switch circuit which will keep the last setting, regardless of turning the ignition off. I had thought of making one, but not sure I can be bothered as I am training myself to switch it off each time I start the car.....oh well....

Edit: I forgot to mention that, apparently you can change the threshold voltage or temperatures at which the stop/start system switches on. I haven’t tried that as you would have to change it all back at MoT time. Too much of a faff in my opinion.

Reactions: Fleetfoot

·
Premium Member
Yeti S+ 2010 2.0TDi CR110 2WD Manual
7,039 Posts
Interested in the idea that S/S functioning is now being tested at MoT time? Is that something that applies to all cars with S/S fitted? Or only those after a certain date of registration?

Reason for asking is that our family’s KA has S/S, but I have it disabled through its dashboard settings menu. So it never actually kicks in. Does that count as permanent?

If it’s operation is being enforced by MoT, that appears to be a particularly dumb requirement? As S/S is proven in real world driving to actually INCREASE overall emissions, especially for petrol engines. Particularly during short, urban journeys. The very situation where it is expected to operate the most. Because each stop at say traffic lights, allows the exhaust catalytic converter to fall well below its “light-off temperature”. Below which it does not actually work to reduce the most harmful exhaust emissions. Then takes 1 to 2 miles of further driving, before the cat gets back up to light-off temp. By which time, another traffic light stop will likely have intervened to allow the temp to fall again. So in a typical urban journey pattern in the real world, the cat never actually functions. Also recalling that S/S only shows a tiny fuel saving in the discredited urban test regime, where the vehicle spends a total of over 30% of each journey stopped.

Reactions: Fleetfoot

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
AFAIK, the operation of the stop/start system has never been in the MoT test and was not added in the major changes in 2018.

Reactions: Flintstone

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi, I don't know if this is relavent, on my fabia 1.0 tsi automatic, if I press firmly on the brake pedal the s/s system works, but if I apply a little less pressure, but with brake still operating as it should the s/s stops working, I also have factory fitted switch which does the same job, but reverts to default setting when you use the vehicle again..ó

·
Premium Member
7,039 Posts
Hi Tom.
Pleased to see you contributing to the forum. Don’t let the following put you off. Or be taken as a personal statement. More just that I’m slowly taking on some of Jimmy’s “Grumpy Old Git” persona, as lockdown groundhog days persist. So the following are just my general Monday morning rant at the world. I’ll recover by tomorrow! :)

Yes, most (but not all) cars of all makes that are fitted with SS, also have a switch or button to disable it for the duration of a single journey. Many drivers, myself included, find that an annoyance to have to develop the habit of doing that after every journey start. Particularly when it is such a useless device to have foisted on the car in the first place.

The practice of holding a car on the main service brakes, while say stopped at traffic lights, is I accept, encouraged by the way many semi-automatic and fully automatic transmissions work. Particularly the VAG group’s DSG gear boxes. It is however also a source of annoyance, particularly at night, for drivers in the vehicle behind, when the high level LED, high intensity brake lights remain illuminated. So dazzling if not blinding the following driver, or at very least destroying their night vision temporarily.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Flintstone, I've developed a very thick skin in the 2 professions I pursued in my working life, and I agree 100% with your comment on the brake lights. I've always been a user of the hand brake while stopped at traffic lights, sadly not many drivers where I live bother. 😒

·
Registered
Yeti 2017 2.0TDi 4x4 L&K DSG
498 Posts
Particularly the VAG group’s DSG gear boxes. It is however also a source of annoyance, particularly at night, for drivers in the vehicle behind, when the high level LED, high intensity brake lights remain illuminated. So dazzling if not blinding the following driver, or at very least destroying their night vision temporarily.
As most new cars are now coming with Electric Handbrakes many are coming with Autohold systems that operate the hydraulic pressure on all four wheels. Manual and Auto.

Some keep the brake lights on and some don't. There doesn't seem to be any logic to what does and what doesn't. My Passat didn't but my S5 did?

·
Premium Member
4,699 Posts
Our Karoq DSG brake lights remain on when stopped and the e-footbrake is holding the car, even when the S/S stops the engine. I hardly ever go out at night, so in the day I leave the brake lights on as the contrast is not so marked, but if stopped for any length of time (eg when the swing bridge shuts for up to ten minutes) I engage neutral after switching on the handbrake. Another annoyance is cars with rear or front fogs on in clear conditions, especially the former, as well as motorcyclists with headlights on full beam in daytime - they are dazzling.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Interested in the idea that S/S functioning is now being tested at MoT time? Is that something that applies to all cars with S/S fitted? Or only those after a certain date of registration?

Reason for asking is that our family’s KA has S/S, but I have it disabled through its dashboard settings menu. So it never actually kicks in. Does that count as permanent?

If it’s operation is being enforced by MoT, that appears to be a particularly dumb requirement? As S/S is proven in real world driving to actually INCREASE overall emissions, especially for petrol engines. Particularly during short, urban journeys. The very situation where it is expected to operate the most. Because each stop at say traffic lights, allows the exhaust catalytic converter to fall well below its “light-off temperature”. Below which it does not actually work to reduce the most harmful exhaust emissions. Then takes 1 to 2 miles of further driving, before the cat gets back up to light-off temp. By which time, another traffic light stop will likely have intervened to allow the temp to fall again. So in a typical urban journey pattern in the real world, the cat never actually functions. Also recalling that S/S only shows a tiny fuel saving in the discredited urban test regime, where the vehicle spends a total of over 30% of each journey stopped.
Sometimes I should follow my own advice. Having told Fleetfoot not to believe everything he sees on Youtube, I think I have fallen victim to believing everything I read on forums.

Some months ago when I was actively looking at switching off stop/start systems, I read on another forum, can’t remember if it was Pistonheads or one of the other VAG forums that these were an MoT requirement. Having checked everywhere just now, I can‘t see any reference to that and so I am sure that Bryetian is right. It was also mentioned that disabling S/S was against European law, but I can’t find any reference to that either.

It is interesting that Ross-Tech will not discuss the matter of disabling stop/start with any of the many enquiries it receives on the subject, quoting that it is against US law. Further research on that reveals that it is indeed against US law but that there is no system in place to govern that.

So Fleetfoot, the best advice now, is not to believe everything you see on Youtube or what you read on forums, especially the stuff I write. 🤨🤨

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sometimes I should follow my own advice. Having told Fleetfoot not to believe everything he sees on Youtube, I think I have fallen victim to believing everything I read on forums.

Some months ago when I was actively looking at switching off stop/start systems, I read on another forum, can’t remember if it was Pistonheads or one of the other VAG forums that these were an MoT requirement. Having checked everywhere just now, I can‘t see any reference to that and so I am sure that Bryetian is right. It was also mentioned that disabling S/S was against European law, but I can’t find any reference to that either.

It is interesting that Ross-Tech will not discuss the matter of disabling stop/start with any of the many enquiries it receives on the subject, quoting that it is against US law. Further research on that reveals that it is indeed against US law but that there is no system in place to govern that.

So Fleetfoot, the best advice now, is not to believe everything you see on Youtube or what you read on forums, especially the stuff I write. 🤨🤨
There's a mountain of experience to be found on forums, much of it sound. A great deal of the electronic info is well out of my domain, but when it comes to the knuckle skinning stuff, I can pick out what's good advice and tips on how to.

·
Premium Member
7,039 Posts
It was also mentioned that disabling S/S was against European law, but I can’t find any reference to that either.
Would that perhaps would be another of those many, pesky EU laws that we don't need to adhere to now? Like bendy bananas? Oh, wait - those "EU laws" that never actually existed in the first place! Only in the minds of some well known liars in the UKIP and Con parties and/or totally made up by sections of the media like the Mail and Express, to fill a space when they couldn't find any real news. That were repeated often enough by other sections of the media and political sh1t stirrers until they became "truth by repetition". :unsure: :rolleyes: ;):cry:

·
Premium Member
7,039 Posts
(y) :ROFLMAO:

·
Administrator
15,990 Posts
Would that perhaps would be another of those many, pesky EU laws that we don't need to adhere to now? Like bendy bananas?
When we moan about EU laws to the German section of the family the reply is, "If you don't like a law ignore it, Germany does".

·
Registered
294 Posts
When we moan about EU laws to the German section of the family the reply is, "If you don't like a law ignore it, Germany does".
Much like the rest of the EU countries, ignore the rules that don't suit them and no one else will bad an eyelid as their doing the same, but the UK seamed to want to stick to them.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
As do the Italians too!!

·
Premium Member
7,039 Posts
the UK seamed to want to stick to them.
Yup - Loved them so much the UK con men even made many more of them up than ever existed.
I could ask “What’s happened to the UK fishing industry in 2021, now we’ve left?”, but this isn’t a political discussion thread.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts