Yeti Owners Club banner
41 - 60 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
852 Posts
In Controller 09, Central Electrics, in Coding/Long Coding Helper, Byte26, Bit 7, there is a tick box for "Enabling Stop/Start Functions" so I removed the tick and the coding was accepted.
It couldn't be that simple; could it? Sadly no; on a test drive and once the engine was up the the correct temperature Stop/Start still worked. Borrocks.

I tried that too some time ago, with the same result. A number of other things didn’t work either. Next time I’m in the mood, I’ll have a look at Yeti-Japan‘s suggestion again although, like you Bryetian, I have shied away from that route in the past

Reactions: bryetian

·
Registered
22 Posts
While I had the laptop out I thought I'd try this but selecting Channel 13 just gets an error message. However, if you go into Coding (instead of adaption) and then Long Coding Helper, you can find the relevant Byte/Bit for battery voltage and temperature limits. I've not tried altering those values yet because . . . . . .

In Controller 09, Central Electrics, in Coding/Long Coding Helper, Byte26, Bit 7, there is a tick box for "Enabling Stop/Start Functions" so I removed the tick and the coding was accepted.
It couldn't be that simple; could it? Sadly no; on a test drive and once the engine was up the the correct temperature Stop/Start still worked. Borrocks.
Do you select channel 13 of 19-CAN Gateway? (not 09-Cent. Elect.)
I wasn't able to disable the start / stop system even if I removed the tick of Byte26, Bit 7 in coding of 09-Cent. Elect.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Being a dinosaur, thus too old to even start to understand any of this coding stuff,
I just press the Stop/Start button to disable the function whenever I get into the car.
The button is so near the gearstick and the press is surprisingly habit forming.
It's probably not as mentally rewarding as doing it down the coding route but (for some of us) life's to short.

Anyway, good luck with your endeavours - the combined brain power and dogged determination of YOC members will get there in the end, I'm sure.

·
Administrator
15,990 Posts
Not having stop start I have not bothered finding out, is it part of the MOT? If it is, you could end up having to re enable it for the MOT. If it is not, then that is one thing less to bother with.

·
Registered
820 Posts
When I took mine in for its third service and MoT, I reported that stop/start was not working in addition to other faults indicative of a failing battery. When I collected the car with MoT Certificate, I noticed the dealer had not changed the battery and that stop/start was still not working. I therefore have to assume stop/start functionality is not part of the MoT test procedure.

Off-topic - but two days later, the battery failed completely (Moll Battery Syndrome). I called out Skoda Assist who changed the battery under warranty, pronouncing the original "totally shot". I cannot praise the services of Skoda Assist highly enough. However, the experience with my main dealer is one of several that have soured the previously good relationship I had with them - to the point I have had the Mods on here and on the Darkside delete the excellent reviews I had written in the past.

I am not going to burn bridges (yet) by naming the dealership, but its name does not begin with an 'M' ;)

·
Registered
210 Posts
Trilux and Bryetian, you clearly know your way round VCDS. Any chance of you trying yeti_japan's latest post suggestions? It would be great if this problem could be resolved once and for all.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Trilux and Bryetian, you clearly know your way round VCDS. Any chance of you trying yeti_japan's latest post suggestions? It would be great if this problem could be resolved once and for all.
Yes, happy to do that. I am in the process of buying a new laptop, the old one having gone to Valhalla some while ago. Right now, I have to disconnect my PC with its multitude of cabling in my study and carry it out to the garage to run the VCDS. As the S/S issue is fairly low down on my list of priorities right now, it might take a few weeks. Fear not, it will happen.

You might well get a quicker flash to bang time out of Bryetian?

Reactions: Flintstone

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Sorry, I have too many other things to do at the moment and that's coupled with general tiredness from daily hospital visits.

Apart from that I'd really want a solution that gives me a reversed operation of the standard switch - S/S off by default but able to be switched on when required. The only way I know of doing that is by fitting an after-market circuit that remembers the last position of the S/S switch and reinstates that at ever engine start but I'm wary of adding ad hoc circuits like this.
The method of adjusting battery voltage or the temperature limits makes S/S unavailable all the time, will no doubt generate a fault code and the S/S unavailable sign will pop up in the MFD every time the car stops in traffic.

Currently I'm just trying to learn the habit of start engine, press switch. :) And I need a new laptop that doesn't take a week to launch Win10.

Reactions: Trilux

·
Registered
852 Posts
Sorry, I have too many other things to do at the moment and that's coupled with general tiredness from daily hospital visits.

Apart from that I'd really want a solution that gives me a reversed operation of the standard switch - S/S off by default but able to be switched on when required. The only way I know of doing that is by fitting an after-market circuit that remembers the last position of the S/S switch and reinstates that at ever engine start but I'm wary of adding ad hoc circuits like this.
The method of adjusting battery voltage or the temperature limits makes S/S unavailable all the time, will no doubt generate a fault code and the S/S unavailable sign will pop up in the MFD every time the car stops in traffic.

Currently I'm just trying to learn the habit of start engine, press switch. :) And I need a new laptop that doesn't take a week to launch Win10.
I have read somewhere that altering the voltage limits does bring up a MIL. I would not be surprised if the temperature adjustment did the same. The last time I was playing with VCDS, I was struggling to find the right adaption channels for the voltage and temperature limits and wasn’t prepared to make blind entries.

The after market piece of kit that reverses the default on start up does seem the best option and I did design, but didn’t build, a circuit that would do that a year or so ago. My priority is to find this secret, hidden ‘vehicle type‘ code which will stop the MMI telling me that various lights are defective when in fact they are working fine.

Reactions: bryetian

·
Registered
210 Posts
Bryetian (and Trilux) thanks for replying. I have little experience of VCDS other than what I have picked up from various posts on the forum in general so forgive me if my query is a bit "dumb". At post #42 yeti_japan asked if you had tried "channel 13 of 19-CAN Gateway" rather than, as he had interpreted your post, Channel 13 of 09-Cent.Elect. If you get chance could you clarify please which 'Gateway' you were referring to when you said at post #38 "selecting Channel 13 just gets an error message" Thanks.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Do you select channel 13 of 19-CAN Gateway? (not 09-Cent. Elect.)
I wasn't able to disable the start / stop system even if I removed the tick of Byte26, Bit 7 in coding of 09-Cent. Elect.
Sorry for late reply.

It was Channel 13 of controller 19, CAN Gateway that I tried and got the error message.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
If you get chance could you clarify please which 'Gateway' you were referring to when you said at post #38 "selecting Channel 13 just gets an error message" Thanks.
I failed to reply to the question from yeti_japan but I've done so now. See my post above, #53 :)

·
Registered
210 Posts
Thanks. No problem with timing. Its not exactly an urgent job!

Have just found this on VWWatercooled.com which although dating from 2014 for a MkVII Golf looks similar to yet-japan's tweek which judging from posts following the one I have copied below seemed to work, although sometimes the temperature didn't work (unable to change temp as you found) but the voltage one did. (Apologies for this being quite long)
"The following two methods can be used to permanently disable Start/Stop (SS) on a Golf mk7:
(1) Temperature Method, or
(2) Voltage Method (as an alternative to the Temperature Method)
From feedback that I have received from forum members (thanks jonoz and Fontana), it appears that the Voltage method is applicable to later "MY" models and the Temperature method can be used on earlier "MY" models (i.e. my13 in my case)

Before proceeding with this tweak, consideration should be given to any legal and environemtal factors that may result when disabling this facility.

(1) Temperature Method
These instructions were sourced from the Golfmk7.com site. Grateful acknowledgement to the author "Allenlin" who has said that the VCDS tweak was developed on a 103TDI. Allenlin has produced a short video which shows that SS has been disabled (see the link below) I have implemented this tweak on my mkVII, and I can vouch that it works.

Video: Start/Stop disabled-Golf mkVII Allenlin instructions:

1. Enter 19-CAN Gateway

2.Click on Adaptation-10

3. From drop-down channel list select (1)-Start/Stopp Auntemperaturvorgabe-Minimaltemperatur (it's almost at end of channel list)
In New value box, enter 50 (default stored value = -50.0)
  • Click Do it! tab
  • Click Add to Log to save a copy of the change
4.From drop-down channel list select (2)-Start/Stopp Auntemperaturvorgabe-Maximaltemperatur (it's almost at end of channel list)
In New value box, enter 50 (default stored value = -50.0)
  • Click Do it! tab

(2) Voltage Method (alternative)

The voltage method is not available to all mk7 models (my own my13 vehicle will not allow access to the Adaptation channel below). However, I have confirmed (by viewing the Adaptation Control Map for Address hex19) that this method is available for the my14 model.

Instructions

1. Enter 19-CAN Gateway (see screen shot above)

2. Click on Adaptation (see screen shot above)

3. From drop down channel list, select Start/Stop start voltage limit (it's about 60% down the channel list)
In New value box, enter 12 (default stored value = 7.6V) Note: forums report that a value greater than 10V will work for this tweak - maximum permissible value =12.1V
  • Click Do it! tab
EDIT: If you have a Mk7 Golf R then you could have Acc/Start Auth. Control module fitted to your car (address 05, HW:5Q0-959-435) This controller has only one adaptation channel whose sole function is disabling Stop/Start. The adaptation channel descriptor is Deactivation of start-stop function and default setting is not active. It may be possible to change this setting to active (untested). I've had two replies from forum members about changing the setting on this control module . Both have advised that they were unable to gain access to this module."

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
although sometimes the temperature didn't work (unable to change temp as you found)

Although I could not change the temperature range as per yeti_japan's method, I did say:

However, if you go into Coding (instead of adaption) and then Long Coding Helper, you can find the relevant Byte/Bit for battery voltage and temperature limits.
This method would have allowed me to enter the "fudge" temperature directly and the Long Coding Helper function of VCDS would make the required changes in Adaption.
This method is a little easier but I did not try it as it's not the way I want to deal with Stop/Start.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Thanks again for the reply. Am I correct then in assuming that you believe that the voltage method should work if somebody chose that route? (I recognise that any changes are solely the responsibility of the alterer.)

By the way on the same Golf thread I found there is a mechanical method described as to how to effectively have the S/S switching reversed (i.e.normally off unless switched on.)

·
Registered
852 Posts
Thanks again for the reply. Am I correct then in assuming that you believe that the voltage method should work if somebody chose that route? (I recognise that any changes are solely the responsibility of the alterer.)

By the way on the same Golf thread I found there is a mechanical method described as to how to effectively have the S/S switching reversed (i.e.normally off unless switched on.)

If you read Bryetian’s post #50 and my #51, I think you will find your questions answered.

From what I have seen, the adaption channels on VCDS appear to come up in different forms depending on what make and model of car is being looked at. Although most of the bits and pieces are similar, sometimes there is no direct comparison between say, an Audi TT, a Golf or a Yeti.

I am having a new laptop delivered today, so may well get onto VCDS when I have some time later in the week, but as I mentioned before, this is fairly low on my priority list.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Am I correct then in assuming that you believe that the voltage method should work if somebody chose that route?
Yes, I believe that it work work but, as mentioned by Trilux above, the method has some downsides.

Do you have a link to this?

·
Premium Member
2015 Elegance Greenline II
6,776 Posts
There is always the SSAM-Modul that is wired in behind the button that remembers the last action.

41 - 60 of 76 Posts