Yeti Owners Club banner
61 - 76 of 76 Posts

Registered
Being a dinosaur, thus too old to even start to understand any of this coding stuff,
I just press the Stop/Start button to disable the function whenever I get into the car.
The button is so near the gearstick and the press is surprisingly habit forming.
It's probably not as mentally rewarding as doing it down the coding route but (for some of us) life's to short.

Anyway, good luck with your endeavours - the combined brain power and dogged determination of YOC members will get there in the end, I'm sure.
I'm with you, why the heck would you b****r about with this when all you have to do is point your finger at switch, make contact with aforementioned device and lightly press, job done馃. I have the same thoughts with some owners feeling that the nanosecond it takes to press the unlock door button twice for all doors to open is soooo irritating馃檮 Anyway, having said that, the stop start on mine only works when it feels like it and pleasantly surprises me when it does. I am of an age now, like most of the Yeticlan, to appreciate it takes all sorts and different things seem important to some folk.

Registered
There is always the SSAM-Modul that is wired in behind the button that remembers the last action.
Yes, I've seen them and that may make a sensible compromise. :)

Registered
Hmm...
my yeti's parts number of 19 CAN gateway is 7N0 907 530 BE.
VCDS version is 21.9.0 (Of course it is a genuine product)
I think it's either a VCDS version issue or your gateway component doesn't support channel 13.
I don't know any more...

Registered
Hi Yeti_japan,

Could you confirm please that the method you use does not bring up a malfunction warning or indicator light. I saw a video where both the voltage and temperature methods were attempted on a Golf 7. In that case, the temperature adjustment didn鈥檛 work. The voltage adjustment did, but brought up a warning that the S/S system wasn鈥檛 working. This would probably be unacceptable to many.

Registered
Hello Trilux
I've been driving with this setting for about two months, but it doesn鈥檛 bring up a malfunction warning or indicator light in instrument cluster.
"A" symbol with a line is displayed in MFD, while the situation of engine stop (but engine isn鈥檛 stopped).
I also checked some fault codes(01-engine, 09-cent. elect, 19-CAN gateway), but they were not output.

Registered
Belated reply to Bryetian at post #59:

The link is Golf mk7: Auto Start/Stop disable switch - who wants to help?

May (?) be of some help but its a 19 pager (so far) with the design of a switch progressing through various iterations. It might be best to only skip read through until the later pages. I see that several people have purchased a solution through AliExpress.

Registered
That鈥檚 a really interesting link! Urrell mentioned the SSAM- Modul, which is expensive but there are other commercial ones on the market. It did make me smile watching one Youtube video of an 鈥榚xpert鈥 putting a live unsupported and unprotected circuit board behind the switch panel.

My preference would be to go down this route rather than through VCDS adaptions. I did start sketching out some ideas about 18 months ago but this link will save me a lot of time trying to re-invent the wheel. When I get the chance this evening, I鈥檒l read through the article carefully. On a quick glance it looks hopeful. I do have an electronics background, so will be able to report back.

It did amuse me that the guy wanted someone else to trial the system on their car ..I wonder why? 馃ゴ

Registered
Have had a closer look at the link and it looks good as a concept. The circuits are using commercial timing units which are comparatively expensive and unnecessary. I noticed someone in a later post was using a 鈥556鈥 dual timer chip which is a cheaper way of doing it, but would require sufficient design knowledge to get it to perform the required tricks. The first circuit uses variable resistors to adjust the timing, again these can be designed out and replaced by fixed resistors - smaller, cheaper and more reliable. The second programmable unit is just a totally unnecessary complication.

I will take a look at producing something cheaper, simpler and more suited to the Yeti鈥檚 physical layout.

More to follow!

Edit 1: Have just noticed some extra posts on the link that I missed earlier. It looks as if these are going down a similar route to my thoughts above.

Edit 2: AJW鈥檚 post of 15 Sep is a much better concept and closer to my first thoughts. Will take a closer look鈥︹︹

Edit 3: What these circuits will not do is to remember the last state. They will always switch S/S off on start up but a press of the button will turn it back on. The LED will also light up to show S/S is off.

Reactions: bryetian

Registered
Who would think that such a useless gadget (because that's all it is) could provide so many hours of fun trying to disable it!
Trilux what did you think of what the Watercooled thread described as the AliExpress solution?

Registered
Who would think that such a useless gadget (because that's all it is) could provide so many hours of fun trying to disable it!
Trilux what did you think of what the Watercooled thread described as the AliExpress solution?
I have to admit that I hadn鈥檛 actually read through all 20 pages of that thread. I did find this though:

It does appear to have a memory function and I quite like the way the module has a plug and socket arrangement which allow you to just plug it in between the switch and the cable, eliminating the need for soldered joints or 鈥榮cotchlocks鈥欚煠烉煈. I quite like the Chinglish expression of 鈥榝lameout鈥 refering to switching the engine off. Makes you feel like a Topgun Yeti pilot.

It is a lot cheaper than the SSAM-Module - could be worth a try if you don鈥檛 want to get the soldering iron out?

Reactions: bryetian

Registered
could be worth a try if you don鈥檛 want to get the soldering iron out?
It does say it's for the 7th generation Golf so I wonder if it would work correctly on the Yeti which is equivalent to the 5th gen Golf.

Registered
2017 L&K Outdoor 1.4 TSi
I quite like the way the module has a plug and socket arrangement which allow you to just plug it in between the switch and the cable, eliminating the need for soldered joints
Would you know whether the Yeti uses the same plug/socket, or if the one linked to on AliExpress is specific to the Golf? (There are a few versions on that link, which is what makes me think that the plug/socket might be vehicle specific).

Registered
It does say it's for the 7th generation Golf so I wonder if it would work correctly on the Yeti which is equivalent to the 5th gen Golf.
I took that link off the Golf 7 thread that was on the link that Upsidedown put in #66 (if you get my drift?). It is quite possible that AliExpress sell one specific to the Yeti - I haven鈥檛 checked.

Are all the electronics on the Yeti the same as the Golf 5? I would have thought it is mainly the mechanical bits.

Registered
Are all the electronics on the Yeti the same as the Golf 5? I would have thought it is mainly the mechanical bits.
I'm not sure. I only commented as it would be something to confirm before buying this particular version.

Registered
If they are not identical, then I would think they are similar as they both work on the same architecture.
As far as I know, the architecture didn't change until MQB (Golf 7) superseded the PQ35 platform (Golf 5 and 6).

But yes, something to confirm.

Registered
Have just looked at the AliExpress site again. Couldn鈥檛 find a Yeti specific module but they do have one for Audi A3 and TT, which are on PQ35 platforms. As I鈥檓 not intending to go down this particular route, I haven鈥檛 looked too closely. I will push on with my homemade version, but I鈥檓 not in a rush. 馃檪

61 - 76 of 76 Posts