Yeti Owners Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,
I've been getting multiple warning lights appearing on my Yeti (2015 Outdoor SE 2.0L TDI 140hp CR 4x4) upon startup but these disappear after a minute or two - I guess as the alternator kicks in. I think this is probably because the battery is about to die - it is about 5 years old now and multimeter shows battery voltage of about 12.05 with engine off (down to about 11.8 volts when headlights left on for a minute or two)

I've ordered a new battery from Tayna which should arrive in a day or two. Much to my surprise my local garage won't fit the battery (they say their insurance doesn't cover parts supplied by customers) so I am thinking of giving it a go myself and have seen YouTube videos which show the process pretty clearly. However some (not all) seem to show it is necessary to hook up another battery to the battery cables whilst changing the battery in order to provide continuous power to the ECU or whatever.

Quite frankly, with my limited technical ability(!), I could do without the added hassle of arranging for this continuous power - hence, can anyone tell me whether this is really necessary for my Yeti or will it cope without any power for a few minutes while I change the battery?

Many thanks!
Pete

·
Super Moderator
12,763 Posts
If you do NOT have stop start it is a straight forward job swapping the batteries over and if you don't connect a temporary power supply all you will have to do is put the clock right, the radio code is stored in the ecu.
If you DO have stop start it gets more complicated as the battery is different, either an EFB, or AGM battery which will need to be coded into the ecu.
By coding the battery into the ecu it will then "know" about the battery and manage it state of charge more precisely lengthening the battery life and controlling the stop/start operation.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you do NOT have stop start it is a straight forward job swapping the batteries over and if you don't connect a temporary power supply all you will have to do is put the clock right, the radio code is stored in the ecu.
If you DO have stop start it gets more complicated as the battery is different, either an EFB, or AGM battery which will need to be coded into the ecu.
By coding the battery into the ecu it will then "know" about the battery and manage it state of charge more precisely lengthening the battery life and controlling the stop/start operation.
Dear Hood,
That's really useful - thanks! This might sound like a stupid question but how do I know if my Yeti has Stop/Start functionality? Obviously I've never experienced Stop/Start mode since I've used it but wondered if it has the functionality there but has always been switched off/disabled in some way? Is there some switch/button or similar in the cabin that would indicate whether there is Stop/Start functionality?

Thanks also for the info on Signatures - I'll have a go at that!
Cheers
Pete

·
Premium Member
3,322 Posts
Hi Pete in addition to Urrell's pic, the default for stop/start is 'on' so you don't have it if you haven't noticed it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Urrell & Jimmy,
Thanks for your replies - I'm now certain I don't have Start/Stop which is good news as my battery change should be simple!
Cheers
Pete

·
Premium Member
4,599 Posts
Good news in all sorts of ways. (To not have Stop/Start).
  • Considerably cheaper battery, even top quality stuff.
  • easy DIY battery swap, no coding to the ECU involved, just re-set the correct time of day after you have finished. As The Hood described.
  • Your car is LESS polluting than an equivalent S/S model, due to keeping the catalysts warm enough to stay up to their working temperature during time at the traffic lights, etc.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts