Yeti Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi every one my first post. I purchased this Yeti in December 2020. Over the winter I had a problem with the battery and looking around the various forums I picked up a lot of information. The battery is a large AGM battery not an original I think. I suspected the previous owner did not get it coded.
I purchased a OBD11 to check things out and was able to find the battery serial number (096 JCB 1111111111) but no options to add new battery details. Can anyone advise me about coding the battery or perhaps where to ask the question.

·
Premium Member
5,508 Posts
Welcome.
Exactly what OBD11 unit have you bought?

(I have suggested this needs to be moved to the Technical section)

·
Registered
712 Posts
Hi FrostyPhil, welcome to the site. I would suggest that if the car starts in warmer weather, I would look at a few other things before worrying about the coding.

Quite a few of us use a plug in socket voltmeter similar to:

They come in different types, some with useful usb sockets and others with thermometers or just the plain voltmeter.

The first thing would be to check what voltage it is showing, once the engine is running. It should show more than 14 volts initially if your charging system is working.

If that is OK, check the voltage after you turn the engine off and then again the following day. You would expect it to be over 12 v then.

These two checks will tell you if the problem lies with the charging system or the battery.

Are you getting these problems when the car has been standing for more than a week or are you doing short journeys? You may need to think about getting a good intelligent battery charger.

If after all that, you think it is a coding issue, the following may help; If a battery is replaced with the same type, generally it will not need to be coded in. When a different type is fitted, the central electrics unit can become confused and hence that battery needs to be coded in, To do this, you will need VCDS or the get it done on a VAG Odis device. I don’t know if Carista will do it, but you are unlikely to fix it with most of the ordinary OBDII devices.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Welcome.

Rather than OBD Two Generic reader, I believe the OP is saying they have an OBD Eleven.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome.

Welcome.

Hi I have a brand new OBD11 Latest version with a PRO licence

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi FrostyPhil, welcome to the site. I would suggest that if the car starts in warmer weather, I would look at a few other things before worrying about the coding.

Quite a few of us use a plug in socket voltmeter similar to:

They come in different types, some with useful usb sockets and others with thermometers or just the plain voltmeter.

The first thing would be to check what voltage it is showing, once the engine is running. It should show more than 14 volts initially if your charging system is working.

If that is OK, check the voltage after you turn the engine off and then again the following day. You would expect it to be over 12 v then.

These two checks will tell you if the problem lies with the charging system or the battery.

Are you getting these problems when the car has been standing for more than a week or are you doing short journeys? You may need to think about getting a good intelligent battery charger.
Hi thanks for the information. I was thinking about getting something like that.

·
Registered
712 Posts
OK, Has the pro version got that facility yet? I thought it was still under development. Either way the plug in voltmeter might be an easier way to guide you in the right direction, initially.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK, Has the pro version got that facility yet? I thought it was still under development.
OK, Has the pro version got that facility yet? I thought it was still under development. Either way the plug in voltmeter might be an easier way to guide you in the right direction, initially.
Hi Trilux . I have seen a few walkthrough for battery coding on VW Golf 7 but I don’t see the same options that they do. Maybe Skoda have different software. OBD11 just suggest I ask in the forums. They don’t seem to offer technical support.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Hi Trilux . I have seen a few walkthrough for battery coding on VW Golf 7 but I don’t see the same options that they do. Maybe Skoda have different software. OBD11 just suggest I ask in the forums. They don’t seem to offer technical support.
Can’t help on that, sorry. Can you actually get into the Central Electrics module
(J509 ) coding? If you can’t, then I think it is not likely your device will do what you want. Either way, why not go for the simple option first and work on from there?

Edit. Have just looked at their website. From their blurb, you would think it would do battery coding, but it doesn’t specifically mention that, despite lots of other things being there.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Can’t help on that, sorry. Can you actually get into the Central Electrics module
(J509 ) coding? If you can’t, then I think it is not likely your device will do what you want. Either way, why not go for the simple option first and work on from there?

Edit. Have just looked at their website. From their blurb, you would think it would do battery coding, but it doesn’t specifically mention that, despite lots of other things being there.
Hi yes I can get into the system it goes like this. Gateway, Long Adaptations, Channel 004. And I then see a number (096 JCB 1111111111) Which I think is the factory battery detail. I can edit this number but there is no option to change details about the new battery.

·
Registered
712 Posts
OK, have you checked the code on the battery and is it the same as what you have on your OBD 11? If it is the same, it will already be coded. If it is different, you will need to replace the number on theOBD 11 with the one on the battery. You will also need to put in the name of the manufacturer.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK, have you checked the code on the battery and is it the same as what you have on your OBD 11? If it is the same, it will already be coded. If it is different, you will need to replace the number on theOBD 11 with the one on the battery. You will also need to put in the name of the manufacturer.
Yes Trilux you are quite right. The battery is not factory fitted in fact it has a larger capacity than the standard battery and I should recode for it. Unfortunately the option does not appear in the software.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Have you tried over writing the number on the OBD11?
I am assuming that you have stop/start?

Edit. Just looking at your post #10 again, have you tried altering the battery part number first? On VCDS you need the three things: battery make, battery part number and the code. I would imagine it has to be the same on yours. Try inputting those things in a different order. Who knows? 🙂

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Have you tried over writing the number on the OBD11?
I am assuming that you have stop/start?
Yes I have. In fact changed the last digit to a 2. It was accepted by the system ok and apparently tells the system that a new battery has been fitted.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Have just done an edit on my #13, have a look at the bit about the three pieces of info. I think you might be getting close. (y)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Have just done an edit on my #13, have a look at the bit about the three pieces of info. I think you might be getting close. (y)
Yes Trilux the three pieces of information. Can be entered with VCDS but I don’t have the option with OBD11. Maybe I am not using it correctly. If anyone has successfully used OBD11 to code a new battery please step forward.

·
Premium Member
6,191 Posts
On the subject of BEM codes I have been thinking I may need a new battery shortly so have looked at the Tayna batteries website and think the Varta looks good, the same make and almost the same capacity as the original I have fitted but could not see the BEM code on the picture so I emailed them several times back and forth to be greeted eventually with none of our after-market batteries have BEM codes, it's only the OEM batteries that have it!
Also our local VAG workshop have said the Yeti does not need battery coding, and while looking round on the web it seems it is just there so Skoda know if it's still the original battery fitted whilst under guarantee.

·
Premium Member
5,508 Posts
Well that suggests that who ever you spoke to doesn't know what they are talking about! I had a new battery fitted to my last Yeti by the tyre place in Newtown and they knew all about the codes and how to deal with them, when fitting an after-market battery.
And it certainly isn't just Skoda that require recoding when a new battery is fitted to certain cars.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Is it possible that only AGM batteries have the markings? Wouldn’t seem a lot of point on other types if not fitted to stop/start enabled cars, which assumedly do not have battery monitoring?

·
Premium Member
6,191 Posts
Is it possible that only AGM batteries have the markings?
That would make sense and that is what I wanted but the reply I got from Tayna was none of their batteries had the code marked on them as they were after-market.
Something I found that I was not aware of is that vehicles with energy recovery do not charge the battery to full so it leaves room for that happening.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts