Yeti Owners Club banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can I ask of all forum members who are able, and do not already, that they become blood donors. Owing to a newly diagnosed illness (I did not even know I was ill) After 60+ arms full I can no longer donate, ever again.

Whilst it probably is not your 1st choice of something to pass the time, it is important and does help our fellow man (and woman and child) The fact that you belong to this forum already shows you are a sociable sort.

Go on, try it, at least twice!! Please......

Tim

·
Administrator
13,075 Posts
I donated 35 times (A positive) but was retired (by them) after having heart surgery twelve years ago. They said that it would have put me at risk, but three hard sessions a week in the gym take care of that! I recently completed a treadmill test to retain my LGV licence and they would not believe that I am not on beta blockers

·
Administrator
4,437 Posts
Second igg's request. It's truly life saving!

For those of you in the UK go to http://www.blood.co.uk/index.asp for where and when you can donate. If you are blood groups O- or B- then you're in great demand.
I am giving my 29th donation(A+)on Monday.

·
Administrator
13,075 Posts
Well done snowgood keep up the good work, I was determined to get up to 50 donations then stop, but they ended it earlier. The only downside with giving blood is the UHT milk they use for the tea YUK!

It does not matter which blood group you are, the most common groups will have the highest "consumption" so everyone should donate.

I am also on the bone marrow donor list, I've had two near misses with test kits arriving through the post but I was not quite a good enough match, maybe third time lucky.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Many thanks for the interest and input from Hood, Hazmat and Snowgood. A shame so far replies only from the 'converted'.There MUST be one at least, not yet donating, but man (or woman) enough to give it a go. I and Hoody, at least, need our donataions replacing.
Don't be shy......

·
Registered
32 Posts
I've sadly been turned away from donating. My dad was a prolific donor (ab-) so I wanted to try but as I thought they can't get enough out of me and only the v experienced can get anything! I have mega crap veins. Struggle to get enough when I've needed blood tests.

·
Registered
12 Posts
hazmat5765 said:
igg said:
Can I ask of all forum members who are able, and do not already, become blood donors.

Go on, try it, at least twice!! Please......

Tim
Yep, good cause, done it already, O +Positive.
Rob.

Its always worth contacting the Blood Service - see their website for current contact details www.blood.co.uk as criteria for including / excluding donors is constantly updated as medical opinion changes!

Im both a donor (A neg, wont bore you with all the rest of the blood characteristics) and work for them as well!

Would just like to say a BIG thankyou to all donors past present and future - it truly is a life saving gift.
(and keeps me in a job
)

Anybody who is interested or just thinks blood is blood, look on the website above or google blood science - its a fasinating subject, well to me at least!

·
Registered
760 Posts
Wel igg,
Just like you I have been helping my fellow man and manette with 60+ donations, but am no longer elligible to donate after suffering a DVT, and only 8 percent of the population has my blood type. Still I'm pleased to have done my bit over the years.

No longer a little Aussie Bleeder!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Used to donate having started at Uni where we were given a pint of Guinness in exchange for a pint of blood. Some time later I revealed that I had served the Queen in a Central American hellhole and now they won't let me donate any more.

·
Administrator
13,075 Posts
Genstabler said:
Used to donate having started at Uni where we were given a pint of Guinness in exchange for a pint of blood.
Cor! Where do I put in a back claim for four-and-a-half gallons of Guinness?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts