Yeti Owners Club banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Reading about the YETI (Hope to order next monday YETI SE 2.0 110 4x4) about the diesel engine and it's MPG and wonder what the best engine RPM is for best ecconomy?

A few years back I had a 19.TDI VW Touran and doing the same motorway journeys loads of times I drove at different speeds with the cruise control and got some funny MPG

If I cruised in 5th with the crusie set at 60mph I would get 45mpg on the dash computer.
If I cruised in 5th with the crusie set at 50mph I would get 43mpg on the dash computer.
If I cruised in 5th with the crusie set at 80mph I would get 50mpg on the dash computer.

Nobody at the time could explain to me why it happened as I was lead to believe better fuel consumption was to lower your speed but I suspected it was due to the RPM the engine was at when cruise was initiated in 5th gear.

Is there a powerband on the YETI 2.0 110 engine for most torque?
Is there a efficient band on the YETI 2.0 110 engine for MPG?

·
Premium Member
2,460 Posts
I find keeping the 110 between 1400 and 2000 gives the best results, when in traffic I tend to drop through the gears to keep the rpm around 1400 and find I still get high 40s to low 50mpg, on the motor way or dual carriageway unless you keep your speed below 65 you will find the mpg will drop.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Hi, not a follower of the theory stuff as there are so many factors to influence the mpg, tyre type and their inflation, road surface and gradient, wind direction, dry or wet road and most importantly how heavy the right foot. I think you will find the best for your driving style and vehicle.
Am very happy with mine using the cruise at approx 68 mph as this gave me 46 mpg with 2000 only on the clock, hope the mpg will rise a little further yet?

·
Registered
222 Posts
I find that I get the best mpg on my 2.0 litre 110 when driving around 1700 rpm.
I've done just under 6000 miles since October and averaging a smidgin over 50 mpg on a brim to brim basis.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I'm old enough to vaguely remember back to the 'oil shock' of the 70s and seem to recall Porsche(!) testing and recommending 2000 as max rpm for economy .....times were tough......v long ques for any petrol.
Yeti CD of .37 is not so good by today's standards so big penalty with higher speeds.
I prefer back roads in the country.....just tootling along on the flat you can get remarkably low consumption, like 4L/100km......the 'alpha' in this male is v much under control.
Cheers

·
Registered
515 Posts
I agree with Shanko here, drove from Darlington to Middlesbrough at 1700 rpm which about 57 mph and showed 54 mpg so am well chuffed. My old 1.8 petrol auto Astra would have been 25 to 30 mpg if I was lucky.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Hi, Ryeman ... and you must be a youngster ... I can remember going to Joe English's garage in the town where we lived with my father where petrol was priced at 3 shillings and 6 pence a gallon. At the time my father's business was Private Hire and we had second hand Rolls-Roycecars. One of them did around 8mpg, I think it was a Phantom II. I still have the Spirit of Ecstasy to this day.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I suppose they best RPM would be just before the turbo kicks in.

However I still don't under stand how I got better mpg in my 1.9Tdi VW Touran at 80 than at 60. Never mind perhaps it was a magic engine :)

Say my first 14 plate yeti today. Looked at it as it went past with jealousy in my eyes.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Hi lablover,I remember my first petrol was 1 shilling & 9 pence a gallon and, you were not allowed to serve yourself.
I used to get about 12 miles to the gallon then, must have been my heavy right foot making the twin carbs work for their living.
I finding with my yeti that I'm looking at the average mpg every so often, can't quite believe I'm getting in thehigh 40+. After a month of ownership I'll work out a proper average.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Hi SniffTheGlove, must be down to aerodynamics, front end of the Yeti is quite square and the vertical rear creates a lot of drag, the faster you go you a) have to push a hole in the air and b) the back end creates extra drag. Ii could be wrong and if so I am sure someone will put us right?

·
Registered
62 Posts
lablover said:
Hi, Ryeman ... and you must be a youngster ... I can remember going to Joe English's garage in the town where we lived with my father where petrol was priced at 3 shillings and 6 pence a gallon. At the time my father's business was Private Hire and we had second hand Rolls-Royce cars. One of them did around 8mpg, I think it was a Phantom II. I still have the Spirit of Ecstasy to this day.
Just to prove how 'young' I am, I am planning on 'hotting up' my 103kw to 125kw and I read somewhere here that the difference between both is simply the 'tune'......I had thought there were some component variations.
Seeing fuel consumption figures are lower on the 125 it seems a no-brain.(?)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ryeman said:
lablover said:
Hi, Ryeman ... and you must be a youngster ... I can remember going to Joe English's garage in the town where we lived with my father where petrol was priced at 3 shillings and 6 pence a gallon. At the time my father's business was Private Hire and we had second hand Rolls-Roycecars. One of them did around 8mpg, I think it was a Phantom II. I still have the Spirit of Ecstasy to this day.
Just to prove how 'young' I am, I am planning on 'hotting up' my 103kw to 125kw and I read somewhere here that the difference between both is simply the 'tune'......I had thought there were some component variations.
Seeing fuel consumption figures are lower on the 125 it seems a no-brain.(?)
Do you mean a Tuning Box like
http://www.diesel-performance.co.uk/vehicle-skoda_yeti_2.0-tdi-110ps-cr-stage-2-(crd-t)

·
Registered
62 Posts
I'm thinking of the DNA tune/remap of the ecu thingy......
I'm hoping you realise how little I know about this type of tech.....
I'm more the port n polish/hot cam/twin carbs demographic.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts