Yeti Owners Club banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Conveyed the 2 road bikes on top of the Yeti to a race meeting the other day couldn't resist taking a picture before we set off.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Interesting view of a Yeti, looks almost oriental!

Often wondered about bikes on the roof of a car - your comments would be appreciated as we're thinking of getting a two bike carrier to fit on the tow bar for occasional use having dismissed that method. I take it they are lightweight bikes?

Thanks, H.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi there H

I found it is easier to fit cycles onto the roof, and yes they are light weight bikes at just 9kg each. It is also a cheaper option to roof mount them around £150 It can be very expensive to fit a tow bar and buy a tow bar cycle rack. The only downside to the roof mounted bike is that it can be a bit of astrech to lift them up.Hope this helps a little.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Thanks Guy, I guess that is light for a bike - no idea what our weigh in at but they are only ordinary tourer's so quite a it more I guess!

I've seen one on fleabay for about half that from an outfit called Wilco, if I remember correctly, looks ok and has had good feedback.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have used tow ball mounted carrier for years.the Thule rack is particularly good, has built in lights and number plate.
Simply attaches to tow ball with 18mm spanner and one bolt, and can be locked on for security.
Being on the towbar there is no problem with height guards on entry to car parks.
The platform can be used to carry dirty goods such as peat.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Thanks Russ, no rush as we are unlikely to be riding bikes until spring but its always good to hear what others think.

Cheers, H.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I bought the Skoda rack to fit in the boot of my Roomster when I had it, and it worked very well, although it necessitated removing the rear seats to allow the bikes to fit in. More to the point, it also fits in my Yeti, as I did not get rid if the rack when I traded the Roomster for the Octavia that I had before the Yeti.A clever bit of kit, which keeps the bikes secure if you leave the car with the bikes attached.

·
Registered
394 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hello again.
Almost identical with the same features as the Thule. As well as the car park height issue, all the muck does not drop on the beloved Yeti
The only other issue to consider if you also tow, there are some bike racks that when fitted you can still tow a trailer. On the whole I don't think you will regret the tow ball rack!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts