Yeti Owners Club banner

281 - 300 of 315 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,542 Posts
We’re into Captain Pugwash territory now!
- Firstly the name of the series. Then....
- Roger the cabin boy.
- Seaman Staines.
- etc.

·
Registered
639 Posts
- Roger the cabin boy.
- Seaman Staines.
- etc.
All urban legend though. :)
And the cabin boy was called Tom.

·
Premium Member
3,304 Posts
The Magic Roundabout was another children's series re-interpreted by adults. Because of their behaviour, Dougal the dog (aka Pollux in the French original), Dylan the hippy rabbit and bouncy Zebedee were all thought to have been under the influence of drugs ranging from cannabis to LSD (Dougal ate lots of sugar cubes). Ermintrude the cow chewed flowers, which looked like opium poppies. The dreadful Funky Moped song by Jasper Carrott was only a hit because the other side was a filthy Magic Roundabout song, which the Beeb refused to play, but was bought in its thousands anyway. Incidentally I knew the world had changed when I was in a restaurant in the late 90's and the rather orgasmic 'Je t'aime moi non plus' was played as backround music. I nearly came over all funny as the record had been banned, again by the Beeb, in the 60's.

·
Premium Member
2,383 Posts
- Roger the cabin boy.
- Seaman Staines.
- etc.
Don't forget Cpt Pugwash's first mate was Master Bate.

·
Registered
279 Posts
You say that when I'm teaching radio comms I will threaten to stick the mike where the sun doesn't shine!!
There are only 2 allowable responses at the final end of a radio message:
"Worcester 1 Out"
"Worcester 1 standing by"
You are on the money there. The two ficticious characters in the skit need a brush up on their radio skills:wink:

·
Premium Member
2,383 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,304 Posts
One of my resolutions is to stop posting rude, suggestive or slightly offensive comments for the attention of the members of Bob's Private Club. I apologise for the upset this may cause, but (ab)normal service will resume at midday on January 1st 2020. A happy new year to all of you.

·
Premium Member
3,304 Posts
My resolution to be good still holds firm, so over the next pint I'd like to discuss pedants who argue that as there wasn't a year 0, the next decade begins in 2021. Technically correct, but such a spoiler! Last night we had a lovely meal with friends, watched the next decade begin at midnight with some lovely fireworks and spent the start of this decade relaxing, then enjoyed one of the best movies ever made with ditto theme tune, Magnificent Seven, this afternoon. The remake was good too. I lost 50lbs last year so in order to lose the same this year, I'm going to exercise more and eat home-made soup for lunch, so I eat less in the evening. I always ask family and friends to give me Amazon vouchers as presents, so I've bought an electric soup maker. My first one was made with pancetta, onion, leek, courgette, canned tomatoes, a small potato and vegetable stock. Wonderful! Incidentally, do Italian tomato canning factories have a tin denter as a few are always indented?

·
Registered
662 Posts
Don't make fun of Jimmy, what with his 'Magnificent Seven' electric soup and no doubt a piece of posh Italian bread on the side.

He'll beat the focaccia !

(Keep up the weight loss, Jim, well done)

·
Premium Member
4,542 Posts
For New Year, we went to the Viking Fire Festival at Flamborough Head. Don’t want to say what it was like as if the crowds got any bigger it would be ruined. It was cr4p - honest guv.

Judging by the number of folks crammed onto the summit plateau of Roseberry Topping yesterday afternoon. Then the New Year resolution for 50% of Teeside was to work off the Christmas excess by going up there. Seemed like the world, his wife, his kids, and his dog were all up there together. Right through from approx 2pm till after dark. Yes, I was one adding to the throng for a brief period, along with said wife and dog. But no kids. Car park at Golden Gate / Cook monument access, was wait for someone to leave before you could find a space. :surprise::crying:

·
Premium Member
4,542 Posts
I agree with Jimmy. If the third digit is “2” it’s a new decade.

·
Premium Member
3,304 Posts
Is anyone else fed up with people telling us what to do? Now it's Veganuary, so I suppose all the people dependent upon rearing, slaughtering, processing and selling meat products are supposed to stop working for a month. I respect the rights of vegans and vegetarians, but don't expect me to follow suit. And why do vegetarians produce sausages, burgers etc which look just like the products they avoid? Just for a change, I had a nut roast for one Christmas lunch: it was delicious, but the chef didn't try to make it look like a mini poussin, nor would it have tasted any differently. Tonight's vegetables are cabbage, parsnips, lots of garlic and a tin of mushy peas. Which leads me on to ask: has anyone compared the volume of flatus produced by cows and humans? The average is between 500ml and 1500ml per day for a human, whereas cows produce between 100 and 200 litres per day, but 95% is burps and only 5% is flatus (10 litres), so taking into account the difference in average weight between a cow (about 700kg) and a human (about 50kg), the output of a cow is 14ml/kg of flatus, whereas a human produces 33ml/kg. I rest my case. (PS spot the deliberate omission!)

·
Registered
149 Posts
I have seen a couple of references stating that if cows ate seaweed, then there would be a most substantial reduction in methane

But no further details

Anybody?

·
Premium Member
4,603 Posts
Yum. Salt meadow lamb!! Absolutely gorgeous!! Always try to buy some when we are down in Swansea, where they live on the salt meadows to the north of the Gower.

And my answer to the vegans, and veggies, is how do they expect the hill farmers of Wales, etc to make a living if they can't breed lamb and beef. They certainly couldn't grow cereals.

·
Super Moderator
12,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #298
If we didn't eat meat the animals would not exist, they would not be needed and the land they graze on would be houses.

·
Premium Member
4,603 Posts
If we didn't eat meat the animals would not exist, they would not be needed and the land they graze on would be houses.
There are sheep pastures around here that would make very interesting building plots, in that case!!

·
Registered
662 Posts
I read that Jordi Casamitjana (he who maintains we should recognise his ethical veganism as a philosophical belief) avoids bus travel because insects can be damaged if they are struck by the front of his bus.

The danger of an unbalanced diet on the mind.

If readers wish to hurl back something in response, pieces of meat will be gratefully received but only with a small selection of vegetables.

281 - 300 of 315 Posts