Yeti Owners Club banner

321 - 340 of 577 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,385 Posts
That's amazing. Must have a bout 5 tons of snow on the blade in the deep stuff I presume it has sand bunkers dropping on the line, otherwise I can't see how they would stop the driving wheels slipping.
Old puffing billy is certainly working hard!
Yes i thought that with the blade, although effective at moving the snow after about 100yds the blade was compacted with snow which remained on it the whole time and looked like it was just the mound of snow that was pushing, in the further videos there was a more effective plough that had little snow collecting on the blade.
It must have been because the first clip was of an earlier steam age and then were improved on.

Impressive anyway.

·
Premium Member
4,929 Posts
One for the Fat Controller
That’s what you can achieve with dry snow and clear sky air temperatures of -10 or lower.

There is/was a similar sized plough car, parked up beside Network Rail’s service centre near York station. I don’t think they’ve needed to use it for 10 years or more. But it was there, just in case? Last time I saw it being moved, it was hooked up to an EWS class 66, 3000hp loco.

·
Premium Member
4,929 Posts
Yes i thought that with the blade, although effective at moving the snow after about 100yds the blade was compacted with snow which remained on it the whole time and looked like it was just the mound of snow that was pushing, in the further videos there was a more effective plough that had little snow collecting on the blade.
I suspect that may be because they didn’t have enough speed on, to effectively blast the snow up the blade and off to each side. That type of plough needs a bit of velocity to be most effective. Otherwise it’s a bulldozer, not a plough. Which is what we saw in the clip. With some mph though, they can be mightily impressive in dry, powder snow.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Great post, Onlyme (y)

One for the Fat Controller... or maybe the anoraks:
In all of the clips, the locos are running in reverse.
Any reason for this, or just coincidence? Cheers.

·
Premium Member
2,486 Posts
I don't think the vids were that old as I spotted what I thought was overhead electric cables for pantographs?

·
Premium Member
1,385 Posts
I suspect that may be because they didn’t have enough speed on, to effectively blast the snow up the blade and off to each side. That type of plough needs a bit of velocity to be most effective. Otherwise it’s a bulldozer, not a plough. Which is what we saw in the clip. With some mph though, they can be mightily impressive in dry, powder snow.
The other video with the more modern engine had a different shape/angle to it as well.

·
Premium Member
1,385 Posts
I don't think the vids were that old as I spotted what I thought was overhead electric cables for pantographs?
Also is the guy in the middle filming with a mobile phone as at 1 minute he turns and seems to remove the phone from where it was and point it towards the train passing him?

·
Premium Member
1,385 Posts
Great post, Onlyme (y)

Well obviously it would fill his face if going forwards:LOL::LOL::LOL::ROFLMAO:;);)

·
Premium Member
4,841 Posts
Great post, Onlyme (y)

So that when it has to pull out of a drift, or return back to it's depot it is facing forward. Plus speed limits are normally restricted in reverse.

·
Premium Member
4,841 Posts
Also is the guy in the middle filming with a mobile phone as at 1 minute he turns and seems to remove the phone from where it was and point it towards the train passing him?
Correct, it is a modern film on a preserved Yank railway.

·
Premium Member
4,929 Posts
One for the Fat Controller
That’s what you can achieve with dry snow and clear sky air temperatures of -10 or lower.

There is a similar sized plough car, parked up beside Network Rail’s service centre near York station. I don’t think they’ve needed to use it for 10 years or more. But it is there, just in case?

·
Premium Member
4,929 Posts
Forget “Where’s Wally?”
Where’s Mike Brewer?

Nope - I can’t see him either?

·
Premium Member
2,486 Posts
Ok I give up.
I thought I cpild see some letters but can't make out a word.
SWMBO can't see ot either.
Not April 1st is it??

·
Registered
516 Posts
Ok I give up.
I thought I cpild see some letters but can't make out a word.
SWMBO can't see ot either.
Not April 1st is it??
Hold up a finger midway between the picture and the screen. Start staring at the picture and the finger goes out of focus and you see two fingers. Keep staring, it may take a while ... see it now?

·
Premium Member
3,642 Posts
So who manufactures Swibbies?

321 - 340 of 577 Posts