Yeti Owners Club banner

521 - 540 of 580 Posts

·
Administrator
4,560 Posts
Many a Friday night watching the Aces, mostly during the Peter Collins years. At the same time my future wife was watching the Bristol Bulldogs. So whilst I was supporting the better team we do both still react to the smell of methanol and hot cinders.
Yep, Peter Collins, Ove Fundin, Ivan Mauger. Funny how the names ccome back from that era. Must have been mid 60's.

·
Premium Member
5,370 Posts
we do both still react to the smell of methanol and hot cinders

The smell was the Castrol R oil that on most bikes was a total loss system.
I watched Speedway at Ipswich Foxhall Heath and looked forward to when Belle Vue visited with Peter Collins and Ivan Mauger etc.
Was at the 1976 Speedway World Final in Chorzow Poland where Peter Colins finished as World Champion and Ivan Mauger was 4th, also at the 1977 World Final in Gothenburg Sweden where Ivan Mauger and Peter Colins finished 1st and 2nd.
A shame Ivan suffered with Alzheimer's in his later years.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Wonderful! Please give more information.
I was privileged to be its custodian for about 5 years or so in the noughties. A 3" scale (1:4) Aveling & Porter Type AF Roadroller, scratch built model of an actual roller. Sadly my skills were only up to the maintenance and running of this substantial live steam model.... I didn't build it. Had great fun displaying it at our local model engineering society and at school fetes, garden parties etc., until heart problems meant I could no longer heave the thing around, and relocation meant I no longer had the room to keep it, so had to sell it on....he's sadly missed...... not just the joy of ownership, but the smell and sound of live steam. I wonder where he is today.....
IMGP0065.JPG
DCP03106.JPG
DCP03107.JPG

·
Registered
830 Posts
I was privileged to be its custodian for about 5 years or so in the noughties. A 3" scale (1:4) Aveling & Porter Type AF Roadroller, scratch built model of an actual roller. Sadly my skills were only up to the maintenance and running of this substantial live steam model.... I didn't build it. Had great fun displaying it at our local model engineering society and at school fetes, garden parties etc., until heart problems meant I could no longer heave the thing around, and relocation meant I no longer had the room to keep it, so had to sell it on....he's sadly missed...... not just the joy of ownership, but the smell and sound of live steam. I wonder where he is today.....
What a superb model; although the word 'model' hardly does this feat of scale engineering justice. I did a bit of searching and found it was an Aveling and Porter. From the first picture I did wonder if it had a triple expansion engine but now I see it's a twin. A local society have some full size Robey Roadrollers, one with two rollers and one with three.
It must have been a wrench to part with The General.

·
Administrator
13,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #526
I like "having a go" I completed a bricklaying course, followed by a plastering course (quite good at that according to the instructor), followed by welding (arc, gas, mig, tig) and then mechanical engineering. I really enjoyed the mechanical engineering, but had to get there very early every Thursday otherwise the model steam train enthusiasts commandeered all the best machines.

·
Premium Member
2,488 Posts
I remember 'Jetex'. I had a hydroplane.
Castrol R........ Used to add it to the petrol on my old 'Beezer' and afterward in my 'Frogeye'. (0-60 18 seconds!) . never made either go faster of course but smelt LOVELY! You had to be careful not to put too much in as the Amal and SUs didn't like it in large quantities as it had a tendency to gunge up the jets.
Of course other 'R' oils are available, Namely SHELL!
Screenshot 2020-04-28 at 11.21.16.png

·
Premium Member
4,935 Posts
Borrowed from the "Good News" thread, but the direction I'm thinking of taking this, would be more appropriate for a tongue in cheek interlude in here?
Bob & Graham - are you ready to pick up the ball if I pass it to you here? It would have to be a rearward pass obviously, thinking of Welsh rugby?
OK, here goes:
The slang terms for condoms in English and French are interesting......
In English: French letter
In French: Capote anglaise
Are we blaming or admiring each other? 😉
Wordpress.com, discovered by a Google search, credits the invention of the condom to a certain: "Gabriello Fallopio who created them primarily as a successful aid to reduce the spread of syphilis. He tested them on eleven hundred men. One of whom was the better known senior Casanova, who was the first to popularise their use, referring to them as "English Jackets". They were generally made from linen, sheep’s intestine, or sometimes animal bladder soaked in various concoctions. Many of them could be washed and reused".

Cue the thought of the sheep's intestine connection, could it perhaps be said that "real Welshmen" had been testing that idea for centuries prior to Mr Fallopio?

Boom! Flintstone now awaits either an Exocet by return from Graham - or an expansion on the theory from Graham, Bob, Jimmy, or anyone who would like to chip in?...

·
Registered
175 Posts
I remember 'Jetex'. I had a hydroplane.
Castrol R........ Used to add it to the petrol on my old 'Beezer' and afterward in my 'Frogeye'. (0-60 18 seconds!) . never made either go faster of course but smelt LOVELY! You had to be careful not to put too much in as the Amal and SUs didn't like it in large quantities as it had a tendency to gunge up the jets.
Of course other 'R' oils are available, Namely SHELL!
View attachment 3810

I still have a half full gallon can of 56 year old Castrol R in my garage. I wonder if I could use it in an incense burner?

·
Registered
439 Posts
Among the grave goods found during the excavation of the tomb of Brian Boru, we were told at school, was a sheep gut prophylactic. That was early 11th century but always led to much joking as the Christian Brothers school was most definitely Catholic

·
Premium Member
4,935 Posts
I still have a half full gallon can of 56 year old Castrol R in my garage. I wonder if I could use it in an incense burner?
Why not? It is Castor Oil after all? (Serious suggestion!)

·
Premium Member
5,370 Posts
Among the grave goods found during the excavation of the tomb of Brian Boru, we were told at school, was a sheep gut prophylactic. That was early 11th century but always led to much joking as the Christian Brothers school was most definitely Catholic
The British improved on the idea some years later by taking it out of the sheep first.

·
Premium Member
4,847 Posts
Boom! Flintstone now awaits either an Exocet by return from Graham - or an expansion on the theory from Graham, Bob, Jimmy, or anyone who would like to chip in?...
I was always told it was how a Yorkshire lost his virginity.

·
Registered
830 Posts
A group of us hired a cottage in Snowdonia for a long weekend of rock climbing and scrambling. The chap who met us to hand over the keys was showing us around the cottage when he suddenly announced, "I keep mountain goats you know". Some of our group had to go outside . . . . .

·
Premium Member
4,935 Posts
I was always told it was how a Yorkshire lost his virginity.
Quite possibly? As a “naturalised” Yorkshire resident, I couldn’t verify, one way or the other. Ex-pat Lancastrian by birth. From just north of “There’s trouble at t’mill” territory.

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
I was at university, and played rugby there, with a Welshman whom I accused of being a sheep shagger. He looked me square in the eye and said “Don’t knock it until you’ve tried it boyo!”
:cautious: Initially i am not Welsh :p But they used to have a reply to that;

:censored: It was we shag them and you eat them ;);)

·
Premium Member
3,650 Posts
A little Native American boy was talking to his dad. 'Dad how does our tribe choose its children's names?' 'Well son, it's whatever the new mother sees when she first looks out of the tepee after the baby is born. So your little sister is called Running Deer and your elder brother is Leaping Salmon. Anyway, why do you ask, Two Bonking Dogs?'

521 - 540 of 580 Posts