Yeti Owners Club banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2014 16tdi Yeti has a radio problem!Works fine then will go quietish and sounds like its gone off station slightly then will come back on.Happens on all staions.Thinking it may be an aerial problem?Unscrewed roof aerial cleaned brass contact and screwed back on but no improvement.CD sounds ok with no issues.Any ideas?Not keen on taking it into Skoda because of likely cost.

·
Premium Member
4,935 Posts
Silly question coming up........
Does it happen every time you select reverse? Or in forward gears too?

·
Administrator
13,446 Posts
The reason for the question above is that the volume is dropped when the parking sensors are activated, when the sensors show there is a silence button shown. My Bolero threw a wobbly years ago, I fixed it by disconnecting the battery for thirty seconds then reconnecting. That makes the radio go through a power on self check (POST) and it cured the problem. I also slightly grease the threaded part of the aerial to prevent corrosion. I think there is also a booster in the aerial base, someone else will confirm/deny.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The reason for the question above is that the volume is dropped when the parking sensors are activated, when the sensors show there is a silence button shown. My Bolero threw a wobbly years ago, I fixed it by disconnecting the battery for thirty seconds then reconnecting. That makes the radio go through a power on self check (POST) and it cured the problem. I also slightly grease the threaded part of the aerial to prevent corrosion. I think there is also a booster in the aerial base, someone else will confirm/deny.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for reply.no it isn't related to the reverse.When I select reverse the radio go's off.No the problem is present at all times wether the car is in motion or not.It just sounds as if you are in a poor reception area(which it isn't)Sound is there but not too any volume and its distorted.My own thoughts are it could be a faulty aerial!But is that a known problem and what can I do about it.Will try taking radio fuse out tomorrow.

·
Administrator
4,561 Posts
There have been problems across VAG with the aerial booster which is in the base on the roof. Water seems to get into it causing problems, some of which are similar to those you describe. CD would be unaffected as only radio.

If you feel competent you can dismantle it yourself to replace but means dropping the headlining. This is a video of a Golf IV which shows the sort of thing involved if it proves the problem and the power reset doesn't solve it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks.Had a play with it today.Took out fuse as per one suggestion.Also cleaned aerial.Found that leaving the aerial off made no difference to reception!!Noticed that although roof was dry water around base of mounting.If you use the manual tuner and go slightly off station that is what is happening all the time!Radio is fine then it will go quieter and have interference but you can still hear the station(ie classic fm)so now convinced its the aerial.Don't fancy getting roof lining down but will have a closer look.or could live in the hope that it will dry out and work..

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi, I'm having same problem with my 15 reg Elegance, as i'm driving along and put radio on reception comes and goes, sounds like that old comic whose mic kept cutting out, it started a few weeks ago, was going to mention it when it goes in for a service at end of month

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Finally sorted my radio.was convinced it was the aerial but didn’t want to spend a fortune on a new one to find it wasn’t that so sent for a cheap new one off eBay.fitted it yesterday{easy job)Now works fine!,,

1 - 9 of 9 Posts