Yeti Owners Club banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Has anone fitted one of the superskoda black plastic bonnet protectors to their Yeti?

I see it is fixed to the bonnet using an adhesive.

Any expriences or comments on how well this adhesive works or detrimental effects on the painted surface?

·
Administrator
13,118 Posts
A previous member (Truthseeker) fitted a bonnet bra and to be honest it was hideous, the poor bloke got so much bad press he sold it. If you go back through his posts there may be a picture. It was nota stick on job but it looked like a badly fitted nosebag.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know what you mean I have seen car bra's fittedto several different vehicles and most look terrible. Thats why I'm more keen on the plasticbonnet protector.
I have always had a hard plastic bonnet protector on my toyotaas the passing 3 tralier road trains tend to flick up stones mostly striking the front of the bonnet and or windscreen.

Withonly 2000km's on the clock already got one stone chip in the windscreen and just thinking of providing the front edge of the bonnet a bit of protection.

·
Administrator
13,118 Posts
Would it not be possible to have a foil wrap put on the bonnet and front wingsrather than those things?

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
I don't trust the double sided tape in the long term, so I have used Sikaflex 227 as an adjunct to bond plastic bits to the paintwork even though double sided tape was supplied with some of the components. So far no detrimental effects to paintwork, plastic bits or chrome work. It is designed to be used as an automotive adhesive and works well. It is just messy to use but cleans up well with a metho soaked rag.
When I bought some plastic bits from Superskoda they actually supplied a couple of small tubes of the European equivalent to Sikaflex 227 instead of the double sided tape.

Edited by: plbxr

·
Premium Member
1,325 Posts
Hmmm the double sided tape on my fog light surrounds don't feel that secure - maybe I'll have to get me some Sikaflex 227!

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
One of my surrounds detached itself so I used Sikaflex to stick it back on. It hasn't budged since then.

·
Premium Member
1,325 Posts
Thanks plbxr. Messy was an excellent description of the process - I now have black hands but very secure surrounds!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well after much deliberation the bonnet protector is fitted.
I fitted it using the supplied sikaflex type adhesiveproduct. If anyone is going to fit one here is a few tips.

I found less is best with the adhesive, just a small bead along the bottom edge and a wider bead on the outside edges.

It is definitely a two person job, it takes two people to hold it in place while the adhesive sets- about 15 minutes on a 36 degree celsiusday.

It is also a good idea for one person to keep their hands free of the black adhesive so they can clean up all the places you don't want it, like the headlights, chrome grill and your hands.

Anywayit's the end result that counts and I must say it looks really good.

I will post some pictures when I work out how to do it.

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
Gee that was a quick delivery. Glad to hear that you got it fitted. I hope it helps stop the road train debri.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Sorry about the big photo i'll work out how to incorporate one into a post somehow before I do that again so soss everyone. Point is this is a protective clear wrap being applied to a bonnet they can do whatever you want I am going to get my bonnet wrapped in carbon fibre when I've got £160 to throw at it.. One thing is for sure it looks mile better than the bonnet brahttp://www.carskinz.co.uk/index.htm

1 - 16 of 16 Posts