Yeti Owners Club banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered a bonnet strut set from Aliexpress and it was delivered in a reasonable time.
Unfortunately it is missing two ball joints and two pieces of foam plastic.
My problem is that I can't get into Aliexpress to email them about the problem. It is one of those sites that passes me round and round. I have tried going via Facebook but I still get lost. Is it only me?
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
5,762 Posts
What are the 2 pieces of foam plastic for?
Could you put up the link where you got them from.

·
Premium Member
5,639 Posts
What are the 2 pieces of foam plastic for?
Methinks to replace the existing foam blocks that sit either end of the bulkhead to bonnet seal, when the bonnet is closed. Assuming what Avago has tried to purchase are the aftermarket gas strut bonnet supports, then when fitted and the bonnet is closed, the struts rest across the seal line. So new foam blocks are needed with a cut out to give the struts somewhere to sit. Either that or make DIY cut outs in the existing blocks?

What effect having the struts pass across that seal has on engine compartment gasses potentially getting drawn into the cabin ventilation system, I have no idea. But the ends of the standard seal are not a perfect fit to the bonnet, to begin with. So perhaps the impact is negligible?

Avago:
I suggest you Google “Are Aliexpress reliable”, then take a read of the reviews that appear from places like Trustpilot, etc. That might be an eye opener?

Caveat Emptor?

Reactions: Llanigraham

·
Premium Member
5,148 Posts
I know 3 people locally who have bought from Aliexpress lately and all of them have had problems. Two with incomplete or broken items that they have been unable to get rectified, and one who had a bill from the PO for their handling charge to pay the Import VAT bill of £2:50, even though she was told that all taxes would be paid by the sender.

Wouldn't touch them with a barge pole!

Reactions: Flintstone

·
Premium Member
5,639 Posts
My problem is that I can't get into Aliexpress to email them about the problem. It is one of those sites that passes me round and round. I have tried going via Facebook but I still get lost. Is it only me?
Probably because you’re not buying from Aliexpress? That is merely the platform or marketplace where various independent Chinese traders advertise their wares? Not unlike Amazon or facebook marketplaces. From what I can make out, Aliexpress does not have the strong buyer safeguards or mechanisms for redress that (say) EBay does?

How did you pay? If by Credit Card or PayPal, you may have some claim against the payment provider for product not as advertised? Depends what relationship they have with the seller in China perhaps? Or if the seller has closed up their market stall and disappeared?

Reactions: Llanigraham

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies.
The last car I had with bonnet struts was a Princess 1800 and I always enjoyed releasing the catch and watching the bonnet lift silently: it seemed much more civilised that winkling a length of quarter-inch steel bar into the correct hole whilst squinting into the sun.
My lovely Yeti has got more built-in bells and whistles than I need, except for easily seen heater controls, a ring-lit ignition switch and bonnet struts.
I went into this order with my eyes open and my fingers crossed. The most I could lose was £18 assuming that there was no problem with customs duty, which there wasn't. I worked on the assumption that not all orders go wrong.
Although I made hand notes, I stupidly didn't take screenshots of every stage of the purchase, then found that there was no follow-up confirmation email to me. The result is that I have spent enough time trying to sign in.
I am too old to be bothered to embark on a drawn-out fight with a company that seems to have a questionable reputation so I will 'put it all behind me'. Worse things happen.
The annoying thing is that until I sold my lathe five years ago I could have easily made the two missing ball-ends.
Does anyone want to buy two brackets and two units (slightly shorter than the tail-gate ones) and including a ball at only one end?
I hope that this account will be of help to someone.
Thanks again.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How brilliant of you! I had presumed that no-one would have new balls for sale (older members take note). I will have abrowse later but in the meantime I wish to withdraw the items previously offered for sale.
Thank you.

·
Premium Member
5,148 Posts
It can be surprising what Google can produce when you are looking for something as obtuse as this.

Sheila helps at a local centre and came across an old simple sewing machine of a make we had never heard of before, that needs a few bits replacing. A quick Google of Essex Sewing Machines and we found an instruction book and a place to buy some bits.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
A post what I wrote immediately after your 'for sale' post but I didn't press Post Reply:

You could just buy the missing parts. Search for "ball end for gas struts".

The first two I found are:

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
As an administrator of the forum, weren't you chosen for sensitivity?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts