Yeti Owners Club banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody else hear their brakes when applied? I drive a Yaris 50% of the time and never hear the brakes on that car, but the Yeti......I certainly do!

Cars done 16500 miles, discs look in good order, no rust, grooves etc The noise seems to be from the front, it may be normal as it's always done it.....just wondered?

Service is still a long way off yet, so thought I'd ask you guys.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Hi, are there any tell tale grooves on the discs, maybe a small piece of grit is stuck between pad and disc thrown up by all this water we have been driving through?

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Lobo

No, the discs are clean and smooth, generally they've been like this since I got it in September......it's not particularly loud, but as I mentioned -I don't hear the Yaris's at all, which I've driven a lot recently hence it got me wondering - 'is it normal'. Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Hi Onceamazda, sorry to hear of this issue, no I do not think it is normal as I have no noise at all during breaking. Have you mentioned this to your dealer?

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, I've not mentioned it....not had to see them since buying the car in September. I do pass the dealership now and then, so I may just call in and ask for their opinion......thanks Lobo.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Please keep us posted on what they have to say, never know we might end up with similar issue.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Do get your dealer to check.

My last car was a VW Golf and the brakes started to make a noise (light grinding sound) when gently coming to a stop. The brakes worked perfectly but I made sure the dealer checked them over just in case. Sounded like most brakes do after washing the car and light surface rust gets on the disks although the Golf's surfaces were clean.

Might just be a materials issue as had similar many years ago on an Audi A4 but it DIDN'T stop on first application so I always err on the safe side now.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Grumpy, recently the noise has not been as noticeable, so I'm seeing how things progress......but if the same volume returns then it will be off to the dealership.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Onceamazda, My brakes (I suggest the front) make a pads on disc noise, when I apply pressure to the brake pedal, but have not been concerned about it. My Yeti's disc rotors easily gain a fine rust film when the car is washed, which makes me think that there is a high iron content and little of alloying elements. Has this got anything to do with the pads on disc noise, I cannot say. But do suggest the disc rotors might be softer than you are used too.

Do Skoda / VW brake rotor discs wear out quicker than other car makes? A question for members who have been longstanding Skoda / VW car owners, or who know others who could answer this question.

To finish, I request you post an answer to the noisy brakes if your dealer is able to solve this issue.

Happy trails,
Banjobach

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi Banjobach, I've not taken the car to the dealer regarding the brake noise as it doesn't seem too bad at the moment. You may be correct about the different materials which couldbe the reason for this issue.

I notice in one of these posts I mentioned I've not had to take the car to the dealers since buying it last September.....since that post I've had the rear badge replaced and I queried a paint blemish which looks like it's blistering, this I'm still waiting for a answer back from the Dealers......I must have been tempting fate saying that.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Onceamazda, I've had no reason to return my Yeti to the dealership's servicing department other than for normal servicing. However, the last time I washed the yeti I found a little paint peeling off of the indent or inset ring around the driver's side foglight, which I will report when the yeti goes in for its next service. I do wonder if a little release agent from the time of moulding was not removed, causing a poor paint bond with the base (plastic) material.

Do keep the forum informed of any outcome to the brake noise, if and when investigated.

Thanks,
Banjobach

·
Registered
226 Posts
I too run a Yeti 2.0TDi and have now reached about 15,000 miles. The brakes are my main "gripe" with this car. Not only are the brakes extremely noisy as "onceamazda" reports they are border line as regards performance. I have asked my dealer about the noise and at first they went into the standard dealer reply of a puzzled look and chin rubbing mode, then tried to convince me it was due to the discs being damp, "is the car left outside overnight", etc etc. In the end they say it is down to the pads being Asbestos free and a very high metallic content "which will murder your discs Sir". !! No other car I have owned has suffered from this annoying problem.
As regards braking performance twice I have had that sinking in the stomach feeling when fully loaded on a long downhill descent I have actually ran out of brakes. Not a nice feeling and one which I have never experienced on any other car.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Re the brakes feeling they might not work, odd times I feel that but works better with a bit more foot pressure.I think 'The Hood' has changed the setting on his brakes through the electronics, hopefully he will confirm this and explain how it's done.
If I'm wrong, apologies to 'The Hood'

·
Registered
788 Posts
Tick Tock said:
Re the brakes feeling they might not work, odd times I feel that but works better with a bit more foot pressure.I think 'The Hood' has changed the setting on his brakes through the electronics, hopefully he will confirm this and explain how it's done.
I agree, the brakes are noisy and the braking performance takes a bit of getting used to.

As Tick Tock says, you can change the effectivness of the brakes via some gizmo but I think it's fairly expensive so you might need to find someone whos got the equipment and buy them a pint...

·
Administrator
14,898 Posts
I agree the brakes do not inspire confidence, that said some time ago I was cut up in a motorway queue by an idiot in a Mercedes who then stopped dead. There is a brake assist feature which detects how rapidly the brakes are pressed and in an emergencyincreases braking, miraculously my Yeti stopped in about its own length.There is a way to increase the amount of braking under normal conditions, the settings are low/medium/high (0/1/2) with the default being medium, using VCDS I changed mine to high (2) and there was an improvement. I am not sure if the dealer can do this.
When my warranty expires I will be uprating my front brakes to the 170 units, but will need to check the discs and callipers will clear my 16" winter wheels/tyres.

·
Administrator
14,898 Posts
Tick Tock said:
After the post above I had a quick play with VCDS this evening. The facility to alter the brakes was available in release 11.11.3, the current version is 12.12.2 and Ross Tech have removed the option along with quite a few other brake related items.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts