Yeti Owners Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering what sort of mileage people are getting out of a set of brake pads on their Yetis before they needed replacing. Fronts and/or rears it doesn't matter, and, if you have needed to change any brake disc rotors also.
Thanks.

·
Premium Member
5,331 Posts
Still on the original front pads and discs at 72k miles.
Rear pads and discs replaced at 64k.

But then I do drive very defensively.

Edited by: Llanigraham

·
Registered
828 Posts
Only 24k (miles) so far, but all original.

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the responses.

·
Administrator
14,841 Posts
Llanigraham said:
Still on the original front pads and discs at 72k miles.
Rear pads and discs replaced at 64k.

But then I do drive very defensively.

I'm surprised the rear pads and disc wore out first as the front wheels carry out most of the stopping. When mine need eventuallyreplacing at the front I will probably change the callipers etc as welland fit the larger 170 bhp units. But currently at just under 25000 miles minelook almost as new.

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The Hood said:
I'm surprised the rear pads and disc wore out first as the front wheels carry out most of the stopping. When mine need eventuallyreplacing at the front I will probably change the callipers etc as welland fit the larger 170 bhp units. But currently at just under 25000 miles minelook almost as new.
I asked the original question because traditionally the front pads have always worn first, but recently have noticed that people are replacing the rear pads first. A complete reversal of what is considered normal and expected. Since my posting I have done some investigating and have found out that the reason is that modern vehicles are fitted with stability control and electronic brake distribution. Under braking and cornering the overall bias is now more on the rear brakes to maintain stability and to stop the front end nosediving, hence the rear pads now wear down a little quicker than the front pads. Early adopters seem to have higher brake pad wear rates but it sounds like the Yeti pads last a good amount of time. It is now mandatory for all new vehicles sold in Australia to have stability control fitted as standard equipment so rear pads wearing faster should become the new "normal" here.
I was also contemplating buying some Brembo Sport brake pads and Brembo Max brake discs from UK eBay as they aren't available here in Oz for the Yeti. You guys are lucky to have such easy access to all the good bits from Europe.
Hoody, if you go ahead and do that brake conversion then it would make an excellent "How to" write-up.

Edited by: plbxr

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
plbxr said:
It is now mandatory for all new vehicles sold in Australia to have stability control fitted as standard equipment...
Correction: sorry that should read:-
It is now mandatory for all new passenger vehicles sold in Australia to have stability control fitted as standard equipment...

The EDIT function has timed out on that posting...sometimes I spend waaaaaaaay too much time here.

Edited by: plbxr

·
Administrator
14,841 Posts
plbxr said:
[
Hoody, if you go ahead and do that brake conversion then it would make an excellent "How to" write-up.

That will be a post warranty exercise (plus a couple of others) so assuming that I still own the vehicle itwill be mid 2015

1 - 8 of 8 Posts